I quit smoking today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mr Silver, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. I'm trying to convince a friend to switch to eCigs. He's been smoking since he was 8, and it's caught up with him in a big way, and he's only in his late 20s.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since he was 8? :lol:

I shouldn't laugh, that's pretty terrible. What were his parents doing while this was happening?

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They were heavy smokers, too. He just picked it up from them. He started drinking around 14, if I remember correctly. He smoked regular cigarettes until he was 18, then changed over to clove cigarettes because they were "healthier". He switched back a few years later.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. I used to get painful headaches just being in a room where someone smoked cloves. Like an hour before hand.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The "tapering off" philosophy is kind of an offshoot of a crude way of detoxing an alcoholic who doesn't have the money to go to a hospital / psych ward / detox facility -- I've done that myself with some friends, showed up at their place with a 12-pack of beer and stayed with them for a day or two or three and as they tapered off to get through withdrawal, starting with a couple of beers in an hour and gradually moving down to a few sips in an hour. There's something to be said for its use in quitting smoking, but nicotine isn't nearly as addictive (well, doesn't have the same withdrawal symptoms) as alcohol or benzos.

6. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I'm four days in now and It's actually been a walk in the park for me. Apart from the occasional craving and irritability every few hours, there hasn't been much in the way of withdrawal effects. I suppose this is down to the patches giving me a hit of nicotine, although it's not like the real thing.

My sense of smell came back after 48 hours without a cigarette, it was pretty overwhelming actually to be able to smell clearly again! I haven't been coughing as much either, although it will stay take a while for my airwaves to be fully cleared of the damage done by smoking. I've actually really got into this quitting thing and see it as a personal challenge.

7. think

think About it! Premium Member

http://quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx

this is a cool link for quitting smoking I went there in early quitting time/// Friday will be six years since I took a puff of nicotine :)

good luck!!! there is no real reason to smoke ever again... :)

8. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well done. I'm just over two days in and the nicotine should almost be purged from my system. Today I too have noticed my sense of smell and taste enhanced. The coffee I made this morning was the normal strength I'd have when it accompanied my first smoke for the day. Damn, did I taste the bitterness!

I feel great! I'm not fighting any withdrawals as I'm barely having them - and when I do have one I can identify it and it's very slight.

Today was packed in with more mountain biking than I've done in years. I just felt an extra burst of energy and a real feeling I'm in the middle of a paradigm shift. No force on Earth could make me smoke again - except for me. With all the "reasons" to smoke dispelled in my mind, I know I never have to have one again. In addition, I've earned an extra $2500 for the year by realising this!

9. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Wow! I've been wanting to quit for some time and have yet to do so. On Thursday I'm having a wisdom tooth extracted and the dentist cautioned me about dry socket. Maybe your post is a sign of sorts... Probably not since anyone, smokers or non, would receive the same caution but I'm damned well going to try using this as motivation. :)

10. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

I don't know whats wrong with me and my mam. She just quit one day and never smoked again and I, well, I've been smoking on and off for years, but I never get addicted to it. I haven't had a smoke in god knows how long now, and nothing...

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm similar. I start and stop without really thinking about it. I'll buy a pack and smoke it over the course of a few days and then go without for a while. I developed a habit over the last year or so of smoking during my breaks at work and worried I might be getting addicted but as soon as I got laid off I went back to my old casual smoking. As soon as I don't have a room mate to smoke with, even that will probably be cut back.

I've had similar experience with alcohol. Ive lived with and drank daily with alcoholics in numerous situations over the years but I never develop the 'problem' that they had/have.

As I recall, there are genes that cause susceptibility to addiction and I must just be missing them or something. Then again, I also have problems developing good habits and just sticking with things in general so it does have its trade-offs.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congratulations. I don't smoke so I don't know what you're going through but taking that first step has to be a very good thing. Keep up the great work. :)

13. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

It's been a week, I'm now down to 14mg patches!

I had a real challenge last night, but I'm confident I passed. I knew there was some tobacco lying in the bin and I was so tempted to have just one, so I dug out the packet. However, instead of rolling a cigarette I lifeted out the tobacco from the packet and threw it further down into the bin. No more excuses!

14. Winterwind

In less than two hours I'll be in the dentist's chair having my wisdom tooth extracted. Hope I've got your resolve when attempting to use this as a push to quit.

15. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Day 6 for me. I found last night I can handle being around smokers without having to light up.

It's amazing the way smokers who know you've quit chime in saying they're thinking about quitting.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am at 16 months. This is the longest I've gone, having "quit many times".

One of the hardest things about quitting is that after all the coughing and ill effects go away, the cravings take on a new dimension, because whatever it was that made you want to quit in the first place is now itself past. Fortunately, I was so sure I was going to die last time that it still seems like yesterday. I haven't been fooled yet by the fact that I feel so much better.

Also, once I relapsed when I was hit by a lot of stressful events all at once. This time I'm dealing with stress. I still have cravings, but they are very weak and faint, and easily squashed.

17. Winterwind

I don't think it's amazing. Pretty much every smoker I've ever known wants to quit and tries to use things like someone else quitting as motivation for themselves.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I quit smoking last week too.

19. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

10 days for me today.
    Realised that the housekeeping sum that Son is now paying me as he's working would be the amount I would spend on ciggies in a month ~ that disgusted me.

Admiral M and all others that are quitting, congratulations and I wish you all the best. :techman:

20. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Well, four of my classmates quit the fags the last two months. My girlfriends father quit two days ago. Today Sara decided to quit as well. So what the hell, I quit as well. I can honestly say that I wont miss it.

EDIT: Don't get your knickers in a twist. "Fags" is British for cigarettes.