I meet William Shatner Tomorrow !!!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shatinator, Jul 26, 2018.

1. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude, you killed spreadsheet Accounting_Accruals_2012! But, let's be honest, Marketing_Budget_May_2016 was a real low point. I mean, it really sucked. Pee-U. Anyway, can I get a selfie and an autograph! Here, you can sign my napkin! Is that your granddaughter? No? Your girlfriend? Creepy. Aaahhh-chooo sorry about your salad, don't worry, it's just allergies, let's shake hands!

Trapper Keeper likes this.
  2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

This is what p#%$ me off with Shatner.
    To me (along with a number of other things he's said/done) what he is saying here is "I dislike fans. They have a weird obsession with Star Trek. I only want to have anything to do with them them if I get paid for it."
    He makes it sound in this piece like he only signs autographs for charity and hes a victim of obsessive fans ruining his grand daughter's dance recital or something.
    And while I can sympathize with him not wanting to be bothered with fans wherever he goes, just be honest. Say I go around the country several times a year and you have opportunity to get a photo or autograph there when I'm ready for it.

Not saying Shatner's a bad guy. He raises money for charity and loves his family. He just doesn't respect us - Star Trek fans.

He I was there in 2010 too. Did you see me? LOL. I had a picture taken with Shatner and Nimoy.
    I agree Shatner was very entertaining - especially in tag-team with Nimoy.
    Well worth seeing.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I saw him at Shore Leave a few weeks ago. Didn't stand in line for his autograph, but I caught one of his Q&A presentations. He was entertaining and engaged and seemed to be having a good time interacting with the fans, while chatting about this, that, and everything.

To quote Captain Kirk: "It was fun."

ZapBrannigan and wayoung like this.
  4. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He is great on stage.

Greg Cox and 1001001 like this.
  5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if he seems healthy, the fact is that Shatner's elderly, even if he wanted to do all the autographs and such, it's not a good idea to have him overexert himself, or get excited when out in public. Fans need to recognise this. Harassing old people who aren't celebrities is the kind of thing that gets you on the news, nevermind harassing ones who are. On the other hand, when an actor's just finding success and complains about the fans, it's kind of hard to sympathise with, because when you sign on for this kind of a gig, you know what comes with it. Strangers on the street, people you wouldn't give the time of day to, ordinarily, coming up to you like they know you and making demands of you, when you're taking the night air.

It's going to happen, but just remember its never too late to work 9 to 5, you know? Go be a plumber, if you don't want to deal with the shit. Were I a celebrity, though, fans would piss and moan about me, too. If they want autographs from me, damn right I'm going to make them pay for it. Why should a common, ordinary fan be the only one who benefits from the transaction? What ... like I'm not supposed to get anything out of it? That's bullshit. Show me the money. I mean, you have the brass balls to violate the sanctity of my table at the Patina when I'm feeding my kid. It's like ... A) who the hell are you? B) piss off, C) I don't trust you not to pull some stunt, so yeah ... piss off.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  6. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner sees countless Trek fans. But how many people want to talk to him about The Brothers Karamazov, or The World of Suzie Wong, or his other work?

That might be a decent way to break the ice.

There is always saying, "I'm also a Star Trek enthusiast" at the end.

:techman:

Greg Cox likes this.
  7. TrickyDickie

I happened upon this image during a Google search and thought you might appreciate the....'aim' :

[​IMG]

;):D

8. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    So how did the meeting go? I wanna hear the details!

9. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

^^^ yes I’m curious too :)

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Maybe Shatner told him to "get a life", and he started by leaving this board.

:shrug:

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  11. 1001001

That must have been from the same convention we went to. Our picture is almost identical.

Either that, or those two never change their clothes.

:lol:

TrickyDickie likes this.
  12. TribbleFeeder

I always imagined if I ever got one of those comments from him I would fire back with something super mean and juvenile. Something along the lines of poorly executed “Shat” joke or a dumb jab about his dodge rolls.

Then again, I’m definitely not that brave. :lol:

Did he ever apologize publicly for saying that?

13. 1001001

I don't think so, and I personally didn't take offense to it.

In fact for a while I was actually considering getting a life, but it was way too much hassle.

I bought a big screen plasma TV instead. It's got better resolution than real life.

14. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a sketch in a comedy show where he said it, so I doubt he would need to.

Greg Cox likes this.
  15. TribbleFeeder

I don’t know, I thought there was a little cruelty in it. There’s always some truth in jest. It didn’t torment me or anything of course, I know it’s SNL. I just felt like the skit was pompous of him.

Maybe I’m just too sensie :shrug:

Roundabout likes this.
  16. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

He’s just that good of an actor...

17. TrickyDickie

I'm tellin' ya, all those limes are gonna have an effect.....

[​IMG]

18. 1001001

No, there were definitely some fans who felt the same way.

Like "you're making fun of us? Without us, you'd be doing dinner theater in Oklahoma!"

Then you become a member of this board, see the things people argue about, over and over and over, and you start to think maybe he was on to something....

;)

19. TribbleFeeder

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I was gonna write something similar in my last post, then I thought...Am I prepared to take responsibility for William Shatner’s entire acting career? Do I really want that resting on my shoulders? :alienblush:

1001001 likes this.
  20. TrickyDickie

As I posted elsewhere, this is an excerpt from a 1976 magazine that talks about the conventions. The girl says, "If I get a chance to touch Mr Spock, I'll trample anybody in my way."

Ever since then, Shatner has been captain of the USS Envyprise. :lol:

[​IMG]

TribbleFeeder likes this.