I like Peter Parker's dancing in "Spider-Man 3."

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's time to say it because I see it crapped on all the time when people talk about the movie. I mean the movie itself isn't really all that great but the dancing was not only not bad. but it might be the best thing in the movie. The reason I like it reminds me of something that MOvieBob critic said when he defended it. Peter Parker isn't suppose to look cool. He is suppose to be what a nerd thinks, looking cool would be like.

I like that idea because it makes sense. Just because he has new confidence because of the black goo doesn't mean his personality is going to be 100% different. He will still be kind of nerdy and awkward and kind of the sweet nice guy. He isn't all of sudden going to turn into jock sterotype. To me that kind of stuff looks like it would be fun and I wish I wasn't so shy or I had enough talent to do that kind of thing in public.

Jason

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the point of the scene certainly, but my problem with the movie is that why bother with the scene at all. The movie is already overly long and the dancing scene was just kind of pointless.

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peter Parker is supposed to be an outsider who is smart and kind, insecure and awkward and talks too much. He is not supposed to be a bizarre dork who is literally painful to look at or watch. Which is why Maguire's performance was absolutely terrible from start to finish (not just for one dumb scene in the last film).

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I liked it. The idea that Peter becomes a lame version of what he thinks a bad boy is tickles me. He even uses antiquated threats like, "I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye."

The same reason the "Raindrops" sequence is in Spidey 2. To show where Pete is mentally using a song montage. The film intentionally reflects that sequence. In Spidey 2 the onlookers are appreciative (Pete is in a good place), in Spidey 3 they are scornful. (Pete is in a bad place, even though he thinks it's a good place.)

gblews and USS Firefly like this.
  5. theenglish

LOL--I can just imagine what the Venom entity is thinking once it realizes what a dork it has joined with. No wonder Venom can't stand Parker.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Eh, it was no Batusi.

DonIago and jbny67 like this.
  7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Of all the things you could have done with the black suit Spider-man this wasn't one of them. The film was overstuffed enough. Rehashing a scene from Spider-man 2 was fairly lame and considering how little we see of Venom at the end this could have been sacrificed for something better.

suarezguy likes this.
  8. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The dancing scene/montage felt like another instance of the filmmakers wanting to do again, but more, humor that worked in Spider-Man 2 (yes especially the "Raindrops" montage) but this time it felt too out-of-place and excessive.

I did think the movie did a good job in its first half or so of showing why Spider-Man would end up trying to kill the Sandman, then it did an OK job with Harry but then the dancing montage felt like it was trying, wrongly and way too hard, to distract attention from that he just wounded and tried to kill Harry and it did make it harder to care about pretty much everything that happened later.

That he tried to kill Harry really shouldn't be followed up by a lolz goofy haircut and him annoying Jameson by putting his feet on a desk.

9. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

I never had a problem with it. Parker was acting in a way he believed would be really cool, but wasn't.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that scene. I think the movie is ridiculous in a good way..

11. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I know what you mean. Thanks to the symbiote suit and his own idea of what it means to be "bad", Peter seemed to have this misguided belief that he was being "cool", while walking the streets of Manhattan. Even when he was "evil", Peter could not help being a nerd. Watching him wallow in this illusion of his "coolness", while oblivious of the contempt of passing women made this sequence one of the funniest in the movie. I think it also really showcased Maguire’s comedic skills.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The emo loser thinking he was cool was hilarious.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Best scene in the movie.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Six or seven years ago, threads sticking up for not-so-loved (but still hugely profitable major blockbusters) were an everyday SF/F occurrence. Now they're oddities. :p

15. theenglish

Hmmm, so were threads criticizing movies that had previously been highly praised and loved when they were released... :whistle: