I learned something new. Dogs will eat waffles!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Sep 23, 2017.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Two of my dogs eat their own poop and we can't figure out why.. Well, I think the puppy does it because she sees the other one do it.. But the positive side of it is that we pick up the yard a LOT faster than we used to!

My dogs love vegetables.. Spinach especially... Our alpha dog will get into the garden and eat the spinach plants to the ground so we had to fence it off.

2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Dogs eat cat food. Dogs eat cat poop. My sister had a devil of a time keeping her lab out of the cat box.

sbk1234 likes this.
  3. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Dogs like to eat whatever it is you're eating. I've seen a dog eat lettuce and bananas before.

4. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dogs eat everything. If they see you eat something, that makes it especially appealing. As stated earlier in the thread, never give the dog chocolate, but add to the list raisins. My co-worker's wiener dog got hold of a box of raisin bran and he ate most of the box. His wife is a vet-tech and knew dogs can't have raisins and had the dog's stomach evacuated.

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I ate a whole box of raisin bran, I'd be "evacuating", too! :crazy:

6. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Never feed a cat dog-food. There's something in dog-food that dogs need, that will kill a cat in about a year if they eat it a lot. Whatever that is, it's missing in cat-food, so dogs should eat only cat-food. Years back we had a cat that would eat the dog's food, and the vet told us to make her stop. The dog would eat some of the dog-food, but would also eat a lot of the cat-food. So the vet told us to just buy cat-food and give it the both of them, but then we had to supplement the dog's diet with table scraps to give her what the cat-food couldn't.

Another vet told us that was stupid and we should go back to cat-food for the cat and dog-food for the dog, with no table scraps for either one. We tried but it didn't work, so we ignored that advice. Both of them lived for 15-16 years, so what the heck. My ex-sister-in-law, the stupid one not the nice one, fed her two cats dog-food all the time, and both died within six-eight months, only three or four years old.

Refuge likes this.
  7. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Had a rabbit that drank cherry cola. It also farted real loud.

Did you know squirrels will eat mushrooms?

Ducks won't eat gummie bears.

8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

squirrels will eat green tomatoes also.

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my cats loves portabella mushrooms.

Used to have a German Shepherd who shared clementines with me. I'd eat a segment, give him the next one, and so on.

10. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Saw a squirrel eat a mouse once.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

12. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Dogs will eat litter-crusted cat poop. Why would a waffle surprise you?

13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mostly because it's not made out of meat.

Jason

14. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Most dogs I have had will eat anything except for eggs. For some reason they don't like eggs.

15. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not just raisins, but grapes and grape products. Nobody's sure what compound in grapes doesn't agree with dogs and sensitivity varies by individuals (some dogs seem able to eat unlimited grapes), so it's best to avoid them.

Theobromine is what makes chocolate dangerous to dogs. They metabolize it very slowly. TBr is also found in kola nuts, which means it's in a number of colas, and acai berries which are gross anyway so you shouldn't punish your dog with them.

Thiosulphate, found in onions and related leeks (inc. garlic) will make dogs anemic in sufficient quantities. Onion is in everything, so keep that in mind. A small amount (like onion powder found in a lot of hamburgers) is fine in limited amounts.

Almonds are not toxic, but dogs don't digest them well. Nuts in general are super high in fat and dogs generally don't handle them well in high amounts. One or two is fine. More if you're okay cleaning up loose stools.

Most leafy greens are fine.

Most startchy root veggies are fine. Cook them first though. Raw potatoes are not good for you or Fido. Carrots are okay raw.

Beans, fine.

Peanuts and peanut products fine.

Breads are fine. Dogs f*cking love carbs as much as we do. Again, moderation.

Sugar is not harmful either, though dogs don't have a sweettooth (generally). Again use some sense if you're gonna toss Rex a powdered doughnut. Like, do it once (ever) because it's funny to watch. Do not make Hostess products a staple of Rover's diet.

I've had a dog get into my beer once. Drunk dogs are humorous, but likely to injure themselves. I don't think their livers handle lots of alcohol well either. Don't deliberately get Doggie trashed. Don't panic if he gets a buzz either. He's gonna be real docile, so just pet 'im til it wears off.

Blueberries are fine. The blueberry scone my sister left out once caused the worst carpet poop stain I've seen in my life. Jet black.

Strawberries and raspberries are fine. Google other berries before tossing them at Ein. That's a good general rule: Google it first.

That's about it. Dogs will eat and drink just about anything. Please don't poison or overprotect them.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017