I find 'A New Hope' hard to watch nowadays

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by ED-209, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

of course, the "trench run" in a new hope is actually NOT the trench that forms the space between the hemispheres .. that trench is for docking bays

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A very common misconception is that the equatorial trench is part of the trench run. But, I believe that it is a totally different trench.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

that was the word i was looking for.. equatorial.. ty

I'm sure that the equatorial trench might have inspired the scene, but it is definitely not the same trench

4. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's all in the article. Is it in the film someplace that THE trench is on the north pole? Because I knew that somehow.

I see Muren is banging the "CG can't replace models" drum again. It's the craftsman, not the tool. The Star Wars dogfight is better than the Return of the Jedi dogfight. But both used models. I'd also offer Rogue One to refute the whole "has to be models" nonsense.

That said, I watched the Special Edition Death Star run on Disney+ the other night. Kill it with fire!

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

Tallguy likes this.
  6. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder how many fighter pilots went to the wrong trench?

7. Tallguy

Just the ones with radios from Col. Mustard.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I think that the bravest man at the Battle of Yavin was the lone Y-Wing pilot to survive. Both he and Wedge were all but ignored in the celebrations afterwards. If I were him I'd have shown up at the medal ceremony and wondered if there was a runner-up medal, possibly one made of that galaxy's equivalent of chocolate.

Now that would have been a medal worth bragging about. Stuff it, Nerfherder. You didn't even care about the Rebellion until you fell for the cute chick.

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

In Legends, that person was Keyan Farlander. He was the character you played in the awesome X-Wing game. He ended up being a Jedi because... of course he did.
    In the new Canon, it was Evaan Verlaine. She ended up taking over leading the remaining Alderaanians when Leia decided her skills were better served as a leader in the Rebellion.

And trench. What a fun word. Trench.

cooleddie74 and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Tallguy

Of course in X-Wing you still flew an, erm, X-wing at the Battle of Yavin.

I could see giving only Luke a medal, because he took the shot. But giving to Han (and Chewie, just not on screen because few space princesses are that tall) and not Wedge and Nameless Y-Wing Pilot?

I know. It's a movie.

CorporalCaptain and Campe like this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

- Han made it possible for Luke to take the shot.
    - Luke took (and made) the shot.

All Wedge and the other Y-Wing pilot did was get clear.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember the original novelization describing the awkwardness of Leia putting the medal on Chewbacca. It always confused me that it was different in the movie.

Kor

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Keyan Farlander also ended up as a Vintage Collection figure and a B-Wing Pilot from ROTJ.

Kor and CorporalCaptain like this.
  14. Tallguy

Wedge also made it possible for Luke to take the shot. "Great shot, Wedge!" "Good shooting, Wedge!"

The novel says that she's not tall enough to give him a medal. I'll double check it when I get home but that's where I got "few space princesses are that tall" from.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I love the detail of Yavin battle.. like when the battle is about to begin, Wedge says "Look at the Size of that thing" which is what you'd expect a character to say in these types of films.. happening in ID4 as well.. but as soon as Wedge says it, base tells him "cut the chatter Red Two".

I wish there were details like that in the new films.

Smellmet likes this.
  16. Campe

Hooray for online books!

From the novel:
    The "few space princesses are that tall" comes from the comic.

[​IMG]

Kor likes this.
  17. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought the "not that tall" excuse was weak. One, there are steps up to where Leia is, and two, Chewie could kneel or bow.

As for the medals, I assume there are different levels. The highest medal went to Luke and Han (and yes Chewie) because Luke took the risks and beat the odds to make the shot, and the Falcon crew took the risks to and beat the odds (and who knows what they went through in that big target to get there) to put themselves in position to fire on Vader & co. so Luke could take his shot. Wedge had to pull out, so he wasn't there to give the assist, and we don't know where the Y-wing guy was. They probably got medals, but not on the same tip-top level.

Personal note: On that euphoric first viewing in 1977 I didn't even notice that there were two different types of fighters. Later I read about Y-wings in the novelization (which I got on my Scholastic classroom book order). In my head I figured since X-wings looked like an X head-on, the Y-wing must look like a Y head-on. But how could it land with one wing sticking out on the bottom? Then I went to the movie again and realized that you could see a tiny Y-wing in the illustration on the cover of the novel, and the Y was a different orientation than the X.

18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was great fun to look at the comic book while listening to the NPR radio drama. Of course, it only worked in certain parts, what with all the extra scenes in the radio play.

Kor

Campe likes this.
  19. Campe

The radio drama is literally my favorite adaptation of Star Wars. One of the reasons I’m not a Rogue One fan (and it’s admittedly completely petty) is that it really decanonizes the radio drama.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might need to revisit that now. I don't remember the drama well enough to note the contradictions.