Spoilers Hypothesis on second half of first season...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by eschaton, Nov 6, 2017.

1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, so first, let me string together a series of random observations about the show.

1. The spores and the alien entities on Pahvo are both blue sparkly things.

2. Stamets, as a result of his use as the navigator of the spore drive, seems to be seeing into alternate universes.

3. We know that the second half of the season will contain at least one, and more likely multiple, episodes which take place in the mirror universe.

4. The show has some visual inconsistencies which trouble a lot of fans, suggesting the show is not hewing to canon.

5. Individuals involved in production have made odd comments related to the Klingons, saying that they are bald "for now."

6. Comments have also been made to "hang with us, everything will be explained" regarding apparent canon violations.

From this combination of hints in story and hints regarding production, my expectation is that the Federation-Klingon war will be essentially dropped as a plotline in the second half of the first season. Instead the spore drive will (perhaps due to the intervention of the aliens from Pahvo) begin shunting the Discovery between alternate universes. They'll spend some time in the Mirror Universe, dealing with their own 'evil" alter egos. By the end of the season, they'll land in the Prime universe, where Klingons will look like the appropriate mix of augments and TNG-era ridges with hair, and most of the visual retcons will be solved.

Thoughts?

2. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I Hypothesize that the second half of the first season will be waaaaaaaaay to friggen short.

I don't particularly give a hoot about the potential canon violatins. Some of these aesthetics to me are inconsequential. I wouldn't expect a completely new generation of people to imagine the future the same way as someone did 50 or so years ago.

BUT! I do find the mirror universe thing interesting and the possibilities very much so. I do hope somehow this all works out. I do doubt that they will spend some time in the mirror universe and when they come back the Klingons are all changed

But I am sure a change will happen and the mirrorverse will have something to do with it.

3. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know but it is possible. I definitely think the Klingon arc ends next episode and then most likely the next block will be a Mirror arc of some sort or a mini Mirror arc with some standalones. How everything fits together, we'll see.

4. Hypothesis:

The Pahvans are the discovery's Organians.

Like the Organians, the Pahvans on the planet Pahvo are a non-corporeal lifeform that only want peace and harmony.

They(organians) did prevent the conflict between Humans and Klingons.
    The Organians were able to resurrect the dead, (Trip Tucker and Hoshi Sato.)
    They also had the ability to occupy the bodies of humanoid hosts, and also able to appear in at least three places light years apart at the same time.

My hypothesis is that the Pahvans are going to play a big role in ending the conflict with the klingons, they will out Ash and "rescue" stamets from going insane, imposed a peace treaty, ban the use of the spore-drive as a part of the treaty because as you suggest the spores and the Pahvans are connected somehow.
    And they will bring commander Landry back.

jaime likes this.
  5. lab rat

lab rat Lieutenant Red Shirt

When most fans speak about the canon violations they are not referring to aesthetics being updated to a higher production values. ie. more detail in the halls.

Canon refers to things like in TOS when the Enterprises first encounters a cloaked ship they are surprised because no one has ever seen cloaking before while in DSC every Klingon ship can now cloak. In one of the movies Vulcan katra is described as being a secret thing that no one talks about while in DSC katra is widely know to almost the whole crew.

Imagine a movie where two people meet and fall in love, now imagine them making a prequel where they are already married with six kids.

oberth and GeekUSACarl like this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if she gets killed off every time.

"Oh my God, they killed Landry! You bast...actually, she deserved it."

Feron, Turtletrekker and eschaton like this.
  7. "I want Landry!!"

8. GeekUSACarl

I'm not someone who really loves canon. I'm someone who appreciates it so long as we have a good story. Continuity of a tv show franchise that spans 60 or so years isn't something I expect with every minor detail. So far anything I've seen or read that deviates has been pretty minor.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter or shouldn't to those who find entertainment in it,

Just me personally unless it's something major I kinda don't care.

Feron likes this.
  9. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "canon violations" don't bother me per se. However, the comments that have been made about "hanging in there" regarding them suggest the series is going to throw us for a loop in order to get back to something more TOS-like. And given if anything things are diverging more so far, the loop presumably has to be thrown in the second half of the season, after the mid-season break.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, there are Discovery uniforms already made, which are much more TOS-like, stashed away in storage ready for later use.

Feron likes this.
  11. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

The word was that they were prototypes and not for actually use. Maybe someone can ask the real life actor @RealJavidIqbal to confirm.

BigMovieGeek and Midquest like this.
  12. GeekUSACarl

Asking never hurt but I think almost everyone working on the show has signed a NDA,

I doubt information like that is something that can be released unless a.) cbs wants it released or b.) someone speaks it by mistake.

13. mattyhugh

I heard on the Engage Podcast when they interviewed Scott Cullura about his set visit.

14. Boomer359

Boomer359 Commodore Commodore

I hadn't heard the Klingon hair thing.

I hope that's true. The lack of hair on the Klingons is my biggest problem with the show. These Klingons mention Kahless all the time, but whoever on the production side decided to take their hair away seems to have ignored the established origin of the bat'leth (Kahless made it from his hair!).

Re: the multiverse thing: I'm cool with them doing the mirror universe stuff, but I'd be a little bummed if the characters and events of the show are part of some alternate reality, and the resolution to these events is the Discovery getting dumped in the Prime timeline.

That feels kinda cheap, to me. I'd much rather see the spore drive (or the Pahvans or whatever) alter or otherwise remake the existing reality to conform a little better with what we've seen in canon. If one of the side-effects of the spore drive is that it unwittingly changes reality, I think that's a really compelling reason to stop using and it never again mention it. If it was just an ethical issue, it seems like some unsavory, morally corrupt character would have brought it up again in the future (using tenses when taking about a prequel is a pain in the ass).

15. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're firmly in Doctor Who territory now.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  16. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Mechanoid1

Mechanoid1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So far I have felt that I've been watching some sort of Dr Who/Star Wars/Hitchikers Guide sci fi show.
    But honestly, for me I'm hooked. I WANT to see how this story is going to be wrapped up. This second part of the first season can't come soon enough for me. I hope many if not all our questions and concerns are answered.
    Looking forward.

18. GeekUSACarl

Then it's probably something that CBS didn't mind revealing,

I know we've hard a bit of a weird time with interviews. I get an email from CBS saying the actors signed NDA's and interviews have to go through CBS, but I've gotten responses from our requests from the actors agents, and the two interviews we've landed weren't through CBS but neither of them were main main cast members

Either way with the close control CBS has on this I'm just assuming any and all information getting out is stuff they "let" out.

So, just a gut instinct, the uniforms bit is likely just to tease us geeks a bit. Which is still cool, but I have a hard time thinking it's super duper substantial.

19. mattyhugh

Or at least we’re okay with leaving it in. There was an awkward moment where Jordan mentioned Burnam was older than Spock.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  20. caper_guy

caper_guy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but I thought I read elsewhere that the spore drive arc is over this half. Looks like Stamets is taking it too hard so might be the end of sport drive soon.

Also, re OP comment....any makeover of the Klingons would likely be to TOS-era look, with smooth heads, more human.