Hunt for Red October turns 30

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

30 years ago today, I went with my father (a huge Clancy fan) to see the Hunt for Red October on opening night. I feel like now I know the whole script by heart. This movie is so damn good. I think the direction is stellar.. despite having the appropriately claustrophobic sets, the film makes use of a widescreen aspect ratio, which, even for a layman like me in terms of cinematography, shows that the director and his closest cohorts knew what they were doing. And it makes the scene where the Americans finally meet Marko Ramius that much more engaging.

Some great lines in this one. "What books?" is one of my favorites
    [​IMG]

Shaka Zulu and Admiral2 like this.
  2. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favorite film of 1990.

In my alternate Oscars I nominated Scott Glenn for supporting.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Absolutely, he makes a stone cold sub captain, without making him an exaggerated caricature of one.

Today, there is too much of a comic book sensibility in Hollywood for them to make an adult thriller like this (I hope I'm wrong)

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's one of my favorite movies. And Alec Baldwin is, and ever shall be, the definitive Jack Ryan.

Fun fact: Scott Glenn (a former Marine) took a cruise on a real sub to train for his role. The actual captain would tell him what to say and he'd give the orders to the crew.

I also like the bit about American and Soviet subs being tricked out differently (Russian in black & gold, American in blue and gray) so it'd be easy to tell whose ship it is.

MY favorite line: "That torpedo did not self-destruct. You heard it hit the hull. And I...was never here." :mallory:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Totally agreed on Baldwin as Ryan.. perfect.. not really an action guy, more just like an office worker thrown into an adventure, and it made the film feel that much more authentic

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Nice to see Tim Curry play it straight for once.

And of course Richard Jordan is always a hoot. "I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar. And when I'm not kissin' babies, I'm stealin' their lollipops!" :guffaw:

Also I can't get over the one Russian sailor (who knows his sub is about to be destroyed by a torpedo) who says to his captain "You arrogant ass, you've killed us!" Only way in the world a Russian sailor talks to his captain like that is if he knows he's gonna die. Because otherwise he'd wish he had. :evil:

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Richard Jordan was amazing. I heard he died after the film was done and had to be recast for the Fugitive.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

He did some more films and TV work afterward, although he did indeed pass away before he could do Fugitive.

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

"'Some things don't take well to bullets around here, Ryan.' Yeah, like me... I don't take well to bullets."

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yuuup! That's my sig!

I'm on record in a few places around here that i think Red October is THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE! Not everybody agrees with me, but I intend to keep saying it until they do!!!

Actually, my favorite line is from Jeffrey Pelt (Richard Jordan): "Mr. Ambassador, you have over a hundred naval vessels operating in the North Atlantic right now. Your aircraft have dropped enough sonar buoys so that a man could walk from Greenland to Iceland to Scotland without gettin' his feet wet! Now shall we dispense with the bull??"

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They almost got in trouble with the Navy over this film. When they showed their sets for approval, the Navy people said they had to change certain things. When they asked why, the Navy people said "You got it too close to reality."

Another great line: "Let me get this straight. You've lost ANOTHER submarine?"

N-121973, StarCruiser and Admiral2 like this.
  12. Foxhot

I read once in a 1990 magazine that the powers that be were trying to somehow get a sex scene on one of the submarines to boost up RED OCTOBER's grosses. Stangely, realism ran out.

Question is, do any women serve on subs at this time? I'm sure any future network shows on NBC or CBS would insist on that. Some would no doubt command the sub. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I liked CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER for similar reasons. Ryan's actions there were mainly being an emergency getaway driver in the first half, then only subduing a villain somebody else would kill.

Jordan died three years after OCTOBER. His last film was GETTYSBURG, in which his character died. Jeroen Krabbe was his FUGITIVE replacement.

My most favorite Jordan role will always be LOGAN'S RUN. A thriller's only as good as its antagonist, Steven Seagal, and in the case of LOGAN I would have been perfectly okay had Jordan's Francis somehow come out on top. Sadly not the case.

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

This movie is eminently quotable, especially if you've seen it enough bajillion times to know every single line of dialogue.

On the subject Scott Glenn, my favorite exchange involving him is the one where Ryan finally pissed him off enough:

MANCUSO: "Mister Thompson, call Chief Watson to the Conn, with his sidearm."

(Thompson snaps his fingers at the COB, the COB turns and rests his hands on his pistol.)
    Here's the status as far as American subs:
    https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/07/18/whats-next-for-enlisted-female-submariners/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Shaka Zulu and cultcross like this.
  14. Foxhot

When I worked at the FDA awhile back one of my Persian friends nicknamed me ''Chief of Boat.''
    But that's only because I once assumed a certain document involved that COTB when it actually meant ''Close of Business Day.''

True but stupid. Had to be there.:borg:

Admiral2 likes this.
  15. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I always loved the "Arrogant Ass" line, but seeing this thread makes me remember how many great lines there were in this movie.

StarCruiser and Admiral2 like this.
  16. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gates McFadden greatest role to date.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Red October is probably one of those few times where a movie based on a book is actually better than the book it's based on. I mean no disrespect to the Red October book, it's quite good, but the movie takes the story and enhances it in ways only a movie can. EG, you don't get the movie's awesome soundtrack when you read the book.

Sadly, the other Jack Ryan books adapted into movies stay truer to form of the movie being the inferior version of a great book.

StarCruiser likes this.
  18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Have to disagree. Seeing the movie in theater inspired me to read the book and I found it far superior for the level of detail it would have been impossible to include in a movie. The director pared the concept down to its essentials and told the story he needed to tell. He did not tell the story in the book, and that's the story I would really have liked to see. (It would require a Netflix series reboot, and I don't see that happening any time soon...)

N-121973, DonIago and StarCruiser like this.
  19. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Great movie. I'll have to watch it again soon on blu-ray.

Kor

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Inexplicable English accent, though. (Cathy Ryan is American, just like Jack.)

Admiral2 likes this.