"Hundreds of forgettable novels"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by robinson, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

The sentence was a gratuitous little barb in what is otherwise a fluff piece on the authors (and Abrams specifically). I don't think the rationalizations that "well a lot of novels ARE forgettable" really stands up to much scrutiny, since it's used specifically as a contrast to Abrams writing a "serious" novel or whatever it is Mr. Hill's trying to fluff up. The fact that some novels are forgettable doesn't make them all so, and dismissing the tie-ins entirely like that would be like saying (for the apple example) that ALL apples are forgettable.

A rewrite of the piece's sentence would be: "It is ironic that Abrams is now growing pears, as he's best known for growing Apples and Oranges, which have spawned hundreds of forgettable orchards."

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

It's ironic that we're spending more time discussing this than the author of the piece likely did when they threw in what I suspect they intended to be a throwaway (and let's not kid ourselves, fairly accurate if one takes it literally) line.

Complain to the author (better yet, ask them to clarify), complain to the author's superiors, whatever. Honestly I doubt it will change anything, and if that's the worst criticism Trek tie-in novels ever face than they're doing pretty well overall.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I think it's clear the author of the linked article in the OP took a swipe at tie-in fiction in general, and Star Trek and Star Wars novels in particular. That was his choice.

My choice is to ignore him rather than engage with him. I can't waste time or energy concerning myself with the prejudices of those whose approval I'll never receive for tie-in work.

Ultimately, I write these stories both for the remuneration I receive from the publisher, and for the enjoyment of those who want to read them. Everything else is inconsequential.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoy your novels! #shameless

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Dimesdan, I don't mean to pick on you here, but I find it really really hilarious that in the same post where you caution someone to think before they write that you posted it without proofreading it, since you meant "interpreted" where you typed "interrupted."

Lessons in both posts there, methinks. :)

Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

Yeah, what that guy ^^^ said. He sounds like a smart cookie.....

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Oh yes, I am fully aware of the irony involved here and yes, I should have held off posting, it was very late after a few long days without much sleep and I should have known better. I am rather glad I made you laugh though KRAD even though it was at more own goal of a post.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I seem to recall either Ward or Dillmore once posting that they had been invited to a convention or conference or somesuch for writers and once there, were basically ragged on for being tie-in writers.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The SF conventions I went to here in Alberta during the '80s and '90s were geared to writers, artists, editors, and education more than actors (in fact, not one of those conventions I ever attended had an actor/actress as a guest of honor). Nobody cared if the GoH wrote primarily original fiction (ie. C.J. Cherryh, Poul Anderson, Robert Silverberg) or tie-in fiction (ie. Peter David). They are/were all terrific writers, interesting speakers, and we loved having the chance to meet and talk with them.

9. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I enjoy Star Trek novels and someone else's opinion of them doesn't lessen that. It's not worth worrying about. I could be reading a Star Trek novel instead of posting a reply to the author.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. I've tried and failed to convince numerous diehard Trek fans to even try Trek novels. They convince themselves that they will not be worth their time or money.

I wouldn't expect a jaded journalist to suddenly get excited enough to try one, and prove himself right/wrong, especially if he's not a fan of the franchise. Unless he's being paid to write a review.