Humping the Shark

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by stj, Apr 26, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

See, I love Angel/Cordelia. I think they had great chemistry, and it made sense to me that they would end up getting together...or trying to, at least.

That said, part of me wishes Darla could have somehow been saved. I thought she and Angel were fantastic together.

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. I love Angel/Darla. Despite their mutally haunted pasts, they just seem perfect for each other. When she gets turned into a vampire again, my heart totally breaks.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My heart broke at least a dozen times watching that damn show. :lol:

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole D'Argo - Chiana - Jothee triangle from Farscape was a bit icky. Both father and son dipping into the same well, so to speak, made for some uncomfotable moments.

5. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I honestly wondered what the hell was up with this, the previous episodes I had watched before discovering they were paired lead me to believe they had a mutual respect for each other, and not much more. What the hell is wrong with Clark anyway, he fawns over Lana, then Lois, or some random guest, but Chloe? It's like his reaction is "Woah...she's a chick?" Bah.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I loved Angel/Cordelia, I felt it seemed far more natural than Angel/Buffy if I'm honest.

They tried to show some Jack/Gwen chemistry but the two of them just didn't have that kind of connection. Reminded me of the Archer/T'Pol frission that was supposed to be there but just wasn't (only the torchwood writers didn't keep hitting people over the head for years at least) Gwen/Owen was a bit odd, but within the context of the show it worked (he just wanted a shag, she wanted intimacy with someone connected to her new world without the risk of that person screwing up her relationship with Rhys by wanting it to be anything beyond casual) it was just really badly written (like most of Season 1 of Torchwood). I'm glad they never refered back to it.

Although they could have gone to some really dark places with the fact she kept telling Rhys then retconing his memory :eek:

7. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Only those who didn't understand the "subtext" of episodes in TOS, were either too young to understand, or don't get it unless they're bludgeoned over the head with it.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Here's one: A few weeks ago, Cartoon Network showed a preview of the pilot episode of their upcoming Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated, which is apparently an older-skewing, snarky, deconstructionist take on the Scooby-Doo universe, though mostly with the same voice cast as most modern S-D productions (except with Matthew Lillard taking over from the retired Casey Kasem as Shaggy). And in this version, Velma and Shaggy are secretly dating. That's just... not right.

9. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

A worse mental image than Seven and Chakotay. Just...no.:wtf:

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christopher...while I'll agree that Ollie and Chloe came out of nowhere I explain their getting together like this. Both of the characters are kind of in dark places right now. Chloe still reeling from Jimmy's death...in fact all of her machinations this season probably stem from her not dealing with that properly. Ollie has been self doubting himself since the mid way point in last season in a pointless character. The two of them got together to shag away their misery and have ended up having a somewhat normal relationship.

Gwen and Owen...I just recently re-watched all of Torchwood...and I don't think this relationship came out of nowhere folks. There were hints pretty early on and it's talked about in the commentary tracks the closeness that Owen and Gwen had. I'd have more of a problem of Jack and Gwen which was dropped. But Owen and Gwen was there from the start if you look for it.

11. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    How about Indiana Jones and father?

They were always both kinda on the fringe, really doesn't seem horribly weird that they would find a kindred spirit in each other.

12. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

" And in this version, Velma and Shaggy are secretly dating. That's just... not right."

You mean they weren't "on the side" the whole time? Geez I thought they were.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Well, I think that there was still a little bit of Jack/Gwen something lingering in Season 2, but had been reduced to a playful flirtation with both parties remaining irrevocably in the "friend zone." Jack flirted with her because he flirts with everybody. Gwen flirted back because she was flattered by the attention.

14. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure if cartoons are included here, but one thing that made me really unhappy was the unbelievable pairing of Shego and Dr Drakken in the final episode of Kim Possible. Firstly, there was never hint of any romantic attraction between the two previously, no matter how hard some fans will try to dig for it. Secondly, it doesn't really gel with their relationship as it actually had been throughout the series. And finally, Drakken is old enough to be Shego's father!

I think writers make a huge mistake when they have characters act in certain ways just to pander to certain (loudly spoken) fans. The makers of the show should always lead the way, and not allow themselves to be lead.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I think they did that though because they knew there wouldn't be a continuation of the series so it didn't really matter. I like to suspect though that Shego broke it off realizing what a control freak Drakken is and that she'd made a big mistake hooking up with him. :)

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Never occurred to me. I mean, since when was Shaggy interested in anything other than food? And what would Velma see in him? Career cowardice doesn't exactly bring in the ladies.

I thought the romantic pairing the fans would be digging for was Shego-Kim. :evil:

Doesn't it? He pretended to be the boss and the breadwinner, she was the one who really kept it together, they bickered all the time, she stayed with him despite all his failures and foibles... sounds like a classic sitcom marriage to me.

Shego's older than Kim, though, isn't she? Wikipedia says she's early to mid-20s. Her backstory's pretty full (years of superheroing in Go City, plus time to earn a degree in child development), so that suggests mid-20s, nearly a decade older than Kim. Drakken was a classmate of Mr. Dr. Possible, thus probably a contemporary. Mr. Dr. Possible seems to be around 40, which is consistent with having a 16-year-old daughter. That would make Drakken only 15-ish years older than Shego, which doesn't qualify as "old enough to be her father" unless we're dealing with a very un-Disney-like backstory. There are plenty of 40ish men who date, or marry, women in their mid-20s. I'm sure there are plenty of film and television romances along those lines.

I didn't see it as pandering. I saw it as giving the show a happy ending by redeeming the villains. (And I loved the idea that the reason Drakken had been such an inept villain was that his real potential was in the hero business.)

17. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Hmm maybe teenaged girls (Iwould have been in my early teens when Scooby do was on the first time round) think differently to boys? Velma would not get the "Freddies" of the world as a teen as guys like him don't go for smart, cuddly girls in glasses. Especially when they're smarter than he is. Plus Shaggy has a soft spot/kind heart towards boofy, dopey dogs, that can be attractive to girls. What's left?

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:lol:

19. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

I definitely do not buy for a second that Shego would adapt to the role of good guy. As demonstrated several times throughout the series, evil is what works for her and always will.

In the episode "Emotion Sickness", Drakken freaked the hell out when Shego made advances at him. I just don't think there's any romantic aspect to their relationship. They may have a dysfunctional kind of kinship, but not for a moment did they strike me as a romantic couple.

20. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

This week's South Park had a shark literally assraping a retarded child. Except it didn't seem all that wrong