Huge new battery breakthrough.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by gturner, Apr 19, 2013.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

Extreme Tech link

"New lithium-ion btatery design that is 2,000 times more powerful, recharges 1,000 times faster."

The chemistry isn't much different (so energy density isn't leapfrogging), but the anode and cathode are on 3-D styrofoam cells instead of 2-D surfaces, so it's like having millions of very tiny batteries with extremely high charge and discharge rates wired in parallel.

Its performance is like a supercapacitor but with the energy density of the best current batteries.

2. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

I saw this earlier today and it seems promising. There are still some significant heat and safety issues that need to be worked out, but I hope to see something come of it. The article I saw, however, said that this technology would make batteries that are 10X more powerful, not 2000X.

BBC link

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Eh, another "battery breakthrough". Seems to be a new one every couple of months that makes the news. Still waiting for any of them to reach market.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Battery power still limits the portability of electronics. It has gotten better, but there's still so much potential waiting to be opened up with extended portable run time. This new approach looks very promising. Thanks for linking it, gturner.

5. JessDD

JessDD Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's not real to me until it's in my cell phone. ;)

6. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I often wonder if tech doesn't make it to the market because business doesn’t need buggy whip competition.

7. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Read up on game theory. No way someone would pass up being first to market with a $100 billion breakthrough in batteries.

The real problem is that these press releases tout the advantages, not the fact that these technologies either:
    A) Cost $5000 per cell
    B) Last for 5-50 charge cycles
    C) Have a 50% chance of exploding on an average day, 90% on a humid or rainy one.

8. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know nothing on game theory -though I recall hearing about it but I'm know, what I do know, very well

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Until the engineers start thinking beyond the "battery" solution things will not really change much.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why should they? They already have a consumer base that regularly purchases replaceable batteries designed to wear out. If batteries became more efficient, it'd effect sales. So you won't see them, or if you do they'll be insanely expensive.