HS wrestler wimps out, won't wrestle girl

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Feb 17, 2011.

1. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I'm female. I would be horribly offended were I to find myself in a situation where an opponent decided that his convictions about my inherent inferiority trumped my right to choose my path and to judge my own capacity to compete. It's condescending and selfish.

The big bloody deal is that he's making the choice for her.

Sure, if they're both equally qualified, consenting adults.

Why do you assume the man would win? Especially in an MMA fight, her skill set might outweigh his (assumed) size and weight advantage.

Women are not actually more fragile than men and can heal from injuries just as well. If they choose, without coersion, to put themselves in a competitive situation where they may be injured, that's their choice, same as men.

What about gay males? Should they also be barred from wrestling? Is it OK for a straigt male to refuse to wrestle a gay male, or visa-versa?

Your argument falls apart when the fact that this boy had been competing inter-scholastically all year, in a league that has female wrestlers, is taken into account. This girl had wrestled 33 other bouts, presumably against boys.

2. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I don't see why not wrestling a girl is such an issue when many sports are still divided based on gender. Every sport I've seen on TV has been either an all-guys or an all-girls league, or division or whatever you call it.

3. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

^Because this sport isn't segregated and the girls have no alternative choice.

4. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

No thanks, I've already got one of my own.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless the kid was living under a rock, he had to have known in advance who he would be wrestling. It's not like he just found out when he walked in the ring, right? I'm sure his coaches told him, at the very least.

6. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the seedings are posted well in advance so he knew he was scheduled to wrestle a girl in the first round.

But I'm not sure what you're getting at. You still have to acknowledge the forfeit when the match is called. He made the decision to forfeit and try and come back through the losers bracket (which he failed to do, miserably).

What do you think he should have done instead of what he did?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he should have wrestled who he was told to wrestle, and that should be the end of it. I already pointed out why his conscience should not be an issue.

8. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

No, he really didn't.

I agree with the notion that he simply chickened out or is too stupid to understand the rules or that he is simply, by his upbringing (homeschooling), far too condescending towards girls/women.

9. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

That's some of the stupidest, judgmental bullshit I've heard in awhile.

Get over yourselves. :guffaw:

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Where I come from, you don't beat girls.

And then again:

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    There's another angle to this. What about the issue of lawsuits? With all of the potential intimate contact involved in wrestling, a boy wrestling a girl might have reason to fear some girl taking issue with the way he touched her.

Again, another reason why teen boys and girls really shouldn't be put in this position.

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

And this sport has what to do with beating up anyone?

13. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Er, it is wrestling after all.

14. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Yes, a millennia-old sport, that has nothing to do with 'beating up' or 'raising a hand' against anyone.

15. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

1) I think people have a misconception of what wrestling actually is (probably because they have watched too much WWE

2) I wrestled girls and there are ways to get that pesky boner to behave (such as clean the pipes beforehand).

3) The iguana is wise in all things.

16. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't buy this.

That's like saying that because the Detroit Lions have never made it to the Superbowl it's a reasonable assumption for teams to not know that they might (in some parallel dimension) end up playing them in the playoffs.

These girls didn't just show up in the tournament, they'd been wrestling in the regular season.