How would Sarek explain Spock 'Prime' to the other Vulcan survivors?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mirren Audax, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: How would Sarek explain Spock 'Prime' to the other Vulcan survivor

Especially since the time travel stuff in previous Trek made sense. ENT, "In a Mirror, Darkly" is the perfect example. The Defiant gets thrown back in time, AND into a parallel universe. Each universe has its own timeline. You can cross between universes (they did it in every Mirror Universe episode, Worf did it in Parallels), you can travel along the timeline of each universe (slingshotting around a sun, what the Borg did in First Contact, etc...), and in special cases, like that ENT episode, you can travel back in time and step into a parallel universe.

Same thing happened in this movie, but Orci just doesn't want it to acknowledge that, although it's so easy and hurts no one.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Hey everyone gather 'round, I want you to meet my uncle B'ob.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The alternative is to ignore current scientific theories and have your new audiences call you old fashioned and ignorant. One of the points for making this movie was to make it seem, once more, fresh, interesting and relevant.

So... you see it and say it that way, and it still hurts no one. Same difference.

If he'd added it to the script, people would have accused him of spoonfeeding, overly complicating matters or ignoring current theories. You know they would!

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

My thought as well.

As for the whole "fixing the timeline" and "no slingshotting" thing: Guardian Of Forever people?

Yeah, yeah, I know some of you will think that big bad Harlan's "Royalty Sense" just start tingling, but they could've used the concept without using the character.

5. Therin of Andor

Don't poke the bear. Harlan Ellison was already suing Pocket Books and CBS Studios re the "Crucible" novel trilogy.

Didn't you hear the fuss he made when Peter David told him he'd heard a rumour that JJ Abrams was putting the Guardian of Forever into the new movie?

6. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

Aside from the fact he might not want to be interrogated by people wanting to know the future.
    Although, he could go hang out with Guinan. She knows plenty of temporal causality and keeping it hush-hush.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeah, yeah, I heard the fuss. As I said: If you owe him pay him, otherwise HARLAN SHUT THE FUCK UP! IT"S OVER!

But as I said, "the concept". A time portal isn't exactly exclusive to City On The Edge Of Forever. Even if they had to wink and nod it, with "Well I know of several time portals, most are closed to us now. But..." Then just have Spock 1.0 reveal that he knows the locations of a some long forgotten time portal

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  8. Therin of Andor

And how is that any better or worse? Would pulling that rabbit out of a hat have satisfied the angry 5%? Nope.

9. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Spock will probably take on a different identity, if h'es even in the movie at all.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

One thing, though: Does Sarek even know who Spock Prime is? In the actual film, they never met. Was there a deleted scene in which they did encounter each other? If so, do they actually speak, or only pass by? Sarek might have no idea who Spock Prime is, and I doubt Spock would introduce himself as, well, himself. That might cause Sarek too much pain, especially since Spock Prime grew up knowing both parents.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

# 1,Jarod, you just proved a theory I had in another thread about Spock going back to the prime Universe.

#2, I don't think Sarek did know Spock was there and who he is. I think it would be wise for Spock to keep an " Alternate"(intended) identity. Who knows who could be after Spock for his info about the future. I know it's an alternate Universe, but The Borg are still out there along with Khan,V'Ger and many other threats.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Spock Prime flashes his psychic paper and voila he's a senior member of the old Vulcans.

13. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe Spock would be open about where/when he is from, since he is obviously in an Alternate Reality to which that future generally does not apply.

Since he is hanging around Vulcans, he may take on the name of Selek, or keep the name Spock with which he is familiar.

His goal is primarily to help the Vulcans establish a new colony, and from the perspective of everyone who finds out his story, he may dispense the occasional useful bit of info, but his future knowledge would likely be incomplete.

He's likely to be well protected by the Vulcan council or the Federation, but he actually still has little to really hide.

If one doesn't know the questions to ask him, one cannot glean relevent to ones future in any meaningful way.

Q: Am I going to die? if so, how?
    A: I do not know. The future is unpredictable to me in this Alternate Reality.

Q: What lies out there for us to find?
    A: Here is what happens, and what I know. I hope it helps with dealing with the issue.

Either way, I strongly suspect he's not going to be called upon in future movies, except perhaps as an occasional mentor to young Spock, and that possibility is interesting if remote.

14. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

My supposition is that Spock would reveal key information to Starfleet (V'ger, whale probe), but keep his identity secret from the public at large, since it would inevitably make both his and Young Spock's lives very difficult.