How to get friends into Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Spicy Thunder, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I'd say "It's a vast universe and we get to see what happens in it at different points in time, and even timeLINES".

Not sure if I'd recommend going from Kelvin to TNG tho. Seems a little confusing to me, given how they're not even set in the same universe and are SO very different in style/tone. I'd probably move from Kelvin to Discovery - that seems like a better fit to me and a more suitable introduction to the series universe. But that's just me, I don't know your friend, after all. :)

Spicy Thunder likes this.
  2. That does make sense. I personally haven't seen Discovery, so I wouldn't be very helpful in explaining anything though. For me, I started with Kelvin (I'm pretty new to the fandom too) and jumped to a little TOS and then to TNG and it worked out for me. I don't think they'd really like TOS, but I'll do some thinking about it. Thank you though!

MrPicard and Danja like this.
  3. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

You're welcome! I was brought into the fandom by someone else also - my then-bf back in 2001/2002, who tackled me with it by telling me to meet someone he admired (Jean-Luc was his idol) and to assure me over and over again that "you will like TNG, I promise". So I'd say you're on the right track - you wonder what YOUR FRIEND likes, which is the way to go for this IMO. I would probably even consider giving them a brief outline of every show's premise and then let THEM choose what they want to watch. (That way they at least can't blame YOU if they don't like it, lol!)

Spicy Thunder likes this.
  4. The premise idea is great! I will try that :)

5. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Again, don’t try to get anyone into anything since people like to choose for themselves. If they are your friends, they know you’re interested in Star Trek. If they become interested themselves, they will look it up on Wikipedia and figure out their own point of entry. Maybe they’ll feel like starting from the beginning, knowing that TOS is among the best series anyway. Maybe they’ll find the original films or the KT series more appealing for starters (I know I was surprised by the way TOS looked having started with TNG, TAS and Star Trek V). It doesn’t matter.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  6. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Offer them food and drink. I remember in college a friend and I tried to get a mutual friend into TNG. I showed him "Conspiracy", my friend showed him "Chain of Command". I think he liked both episodes.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

This all good advice, especially about tailoring your approach to each individual's own tastes.

My two cents: Don't try to inundate them with too many details. It's okay if they don't appreciate every subtle continuity reference the first time around or don't know everything they "need" to know to appreciate the entire saga.

I still remember the time, back in the nineties, when a co-worker casually asked my friend what this new TV show, THE FLASH, was all about. Alas, with the best of intentions, my friend launched into a long dissertation on the entire history of the comic-book character in all his various incarnations: Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Post-Crisis, etc.

You could practically see our co-worker's eyes glaze over as my friend helpfully went on and on. In the end, she came away more confused than anything else--and probably convinced to never ask a fan a comic-book question again! :)

Keep it simple. If they want more information, and want to delve deeper into the lore, they'll let you know.

And pay attention to their body language so you'll know when you need to back off.

Kor and Armus like this.
  8. Boris Skrbic

Do people imagine perhaps that even friends of Star Trek fans (those posting on TrekBBS, mind you) have massive misconceptions of what the franchise is about, to the point where it only takes creative nudging to correct them and bring about a revelation?

Armus likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

I've encountered people who think it's too complicated to get into at this late date, and that you have to be a hardcore Trekkie to understand it. And at least prior to 2009, Trek had pretty much fallen off the radar of anybody under the age of twelve. When I would do public appearances at school libraries and book fairs and such, the kids knew Batman and Wolverine, but gave me blank expressions when I mentioned STAR TREK. (Hopefully, things have improved since then.)

And I'm not sure my mother ever realized STAR TREK and STAR WARS were not the same thing. :)

Armus likes this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this 100%. Many Trek fans seem so consumed with trivialities of how the phase-inducers work or what exact year the Tkon Empire fell that they immediately turn off anyone who is simply interested in a relatively smart, fun space adventure.

We are our own worst enemy most of the time when it comes to "inviting" new people to enjoy the show. They don't care about the differences in Lore's positronic matrix when compared to Data. They just want aliens, zap guns, and space ships.

MrPicard, Armus and Greg Cox like this.
  11. Greg Cox

Or, more charitably, they can enjoy a good, smart, standalone STAR TREK story without having to pass a STAR TREK trivia test. In reality, most of STAR TREK is way more accessible than many people think it is. You can enjoy WRATH OF KHAN, for instance, without ever seeing "Space Seed," although Spock's death will obviously have more resonance if you grew up with the character.

Along the same lines, "Sins of the Fathers" or "Tapestry" are great TNG episodes, but probably not good entry ramps for newcomers. Better to go with something like "Q Who?" or "The Measure of a Man" or "Best of Both Worlds" or something.

Armus and Vger23 like this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Friends don't let friends watch Star Trek. :rofl:

Galileo7 likes this.
  13. Boris Skrbic

What does “getting into Trek” even mean? Watching the best of the best? Watching everything regardless of quality? Reading novels? Going to conventions? Cosplay? Discussing continuity? It’s so varied and subjective one couldn’t hope to share experiences beyond limited common ground, which is why it’s better in that case to visit the appropriate real-world or online forums than to try and change people’s habits. Everybody should do what they do and shared activities will emerge on their own. For example, why does it have to be Trek as opposed to good movies or television, period?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  14. sekundant

sekundant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I let my colleagues who are union members to watch together "Bar Association" . Firstly, I show them a short self made pp-presentation about Trek and Ferengi. I think at the very beginning they watched only for me and after ten minutes, they were all in and have fun. Only two of them asked about Blu Rays, but I think they understand my passion about Trek and this is enough for me.
    Maybe you can find a special episode for the person whom you want to win Trek's case. Well, you should know her/his/their interests/hobbies/ mood, etc. :p

15. Boris Skrbic

But the relevant question is whether any of them showed signs of increasing interest in the franchise (specifics can vary) over the subsequent months or years, or whether it turned out they merely humored you on that one occasion.

16. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this point, making Star Trek more relevant to kids is a bigger deal than trying to convince adults to try it, which is why I hope the Nickelodeon cartoon is a big success.

Vger23 and Greg Cox like this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. There are many franchises that I have skipped because people insist upon telling me the details and I feel pretty much lost before I start.

Vger23 likes this.
  18. sekundant

sekundant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't understand myself as Trek missioner and I won't knock the door at the neighborhood and ask " do you have time to talk about our Trek and savior?" . I think this is best way to make Trek and myself unlikable. I won't check, if people show more interest about Trek after this Trek event or not, but will tell about Trek here and there again. Sometimes things need time and space.
    Even as someone who gets Trek -so to say- with breast milk, I had a very long Trek-free period in my life. Maybe, if I didn't need a little hope about future of humanity and didn't "rediscover" ENT for me, I wouldn't write here right now. ENT didn't fit for me as it originally aired, I had other priorities, other issues in my life, now it fits.
    So, spread the seed, give water and sunshine and be patient... or find another way and tell us your experience, as I did. :D

19. Greg Cox

People are naturally going to want to share their enthusiasms with their friends and family because we're social creatures. "Ohmigod, you've got to hear this new album! It's amazing!"

The trick, as noted, is simply to gauge people's interest, understand that some people are more receptive to SF or vintage TV shows than others, and know when to back off if they don't take the bait. (See: reading body language.)

We had a houseguest a few weekends ago who made it clear that she did NOT like horror movies, period, when we suggested watching one of our favorites. So, okay, we watched an old Ginger Rogers comedy instead.

No idea how she felt about science fiction.

(Our guest, I mean, not Ginger.). :)

20. What I meant by the title was, really, how would you recommend getting a friend interested in the franchise. This is really the only place where I can regularly talk about this stuff right now, and I was wondering how to spark interest. Sorry for the confusion.