Poll How positive are you about Discovery now?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mage, Jul 26, 2017.

?

What is your view on Discovery?

1. Very positive

81 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Positive

90 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Somewhat positive but hesitant

56 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Neutral

24 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Somewhat negative but hopeful

33 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Negative

34 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Very negative

18 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

+1

I see 20 things to complain about this show, based on what's been released, but the look of Klingons is just sooooo irrelevant, they may as well make them look like clowns for all I care.

2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

They have ;)

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clowns are scary. These Klingons are intimidating.

[​IMG]

KirkusOveractus and Refuge like this.
  4. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember how excited and apprehensive I was about VOY when it first aired, and I've been thinking about it recently, excited about Discovery, yet apprehensive about some of the things I've read. It was initially going to be an anthology series, each season like American Horror Story, a different setting and story? Great! But that's not the case any more. It was initially going to be a tight, taut, Game of Thrones-like 10 episodes, but now the execs want 15. ...Oh.

I don't mind keeping with the crew longer than 10 episodes or 1 season, but I'm wondering if when the promising show does air, it'll be ho-hum. This is often the case, especially as a show can't match the infinite possibility and promise before it premiers, but, I dunno, how do you guys feel?

I'm willing to accept it as its own thing, its own universe...frankly, I prefer the greater possibility of a non-prequel, where you don't really know where things will ultimately go, and you don't have to deal with your own preconceptions of how things got to where you know they have to...but I hope more than anything the quality is good and breathes new air into a nostalgic, dare I say stagnant, franchise.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the original order was for thirteen episodes. Fuller said that he would like for future seasons to run ten episodes.

Arpy likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, you're right. It was originally 13.

Arpy likes this.
  7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, no ST: D was NEVER going to be an Anthology series. It was PITCHED to CBS as a Anthology series, but CBS said no to that idea before anything else regarding ST: D was agreed to.

(And just to put that in perspective, since the success of the 2009 film, usually CBS took one or two pitches a year for a new Star Trek series by some high profile Hollywood producers - but until Fuller's; had gone for any of them in any capacity.)

KennyB likes this.
  8. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's too bad. With the success of AHS especially, I think anthologies are more likely today than before. And although lots of high profile Hollywood producers get to pitch different ideas, this was the one of the guy they went with. He was interested in giving it a shot. I'm not too dismayed by it not going that way, but with all the turmoil of delays and different writers coming and going, I'm a little more apprehensive about it all, as we get closer to showtime.

9. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Wasn't very obvious because the words 'augment virus' hadn't been thought of when Kang, Koloth and Kor appeared on DS9. Nor when TNG Klingons appeared on the first three seasons of Enterprise. So until they invented that little nonsense, the issue was exactly the same as the DIS Klingons - they changed, then changed back, without explanation. No explanation has ever been tabled for the TMP look, or any other incarnation.

Michael, Vger23, BillJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

But...but....EVERYTHING NEEDS AN EXPLANATION!!!

EVERYTHING!!!!!! OR PLOTHOLES AND CANON!!!!111!!1!

:lol:

11. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Not exactly true. According to Bryan Fuller he pitched the idea of an anthology series but CBS said lets do one season of a continuing story arc and go from there. Basically CBS wanted to keep its options open. If the fans love the Discovery crew and story they can keep telling it, but if the fans don't respond to the first season, they can completely relaunch it for season two with a new cast and setting and say "see it was always going to be an anthology all along." CBS doesn't seem to be committing to anything or anyone beyond the first season.

The fact that Nicholas Meyer is working on a possible Khan mini-series suggests that CBS may use that as a season two story if the first year doesn't do well with fans.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

True dat. I think it was Kurn who said that his family's starships were taken from them when the House of Mogh was dishonored.

13. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most episodes of TOS featured one-off aliens (or one-off phenomena) that were never encountered again either in TOS or in TNG. So there is a lot of room in the DSC prequel universe for additional one-off aliens/phenomena that would not necessarily needed to have been seen "again" in TOS.

And considering the extremely limited mythology TOS had, there is a lot of room for additional DSC mythology that would not necessarily needed to have been mentioned again in TOS.

The galaxy (or the Alpha Quadrant, as the case may be) is a big place, and if people complain about the "small galaxy syndrome" in which Star Trek crews and ships unrealistically keep encountering people and things related to past series, then there shouldn't be complaints when DSC encounters people and things that TOS never did not encounter, nor even mention at all.

...Or, in the case of Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, etc, different aspects of people and things that were not encountered on TOS.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Kor likes this.
  14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Explanations are boring and waste valuable story time.

Nerys Myk and KirkusOveractus like this.
  15. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

"And lo, the house of Klau'n traveled from region to region, spreading fear and intimidation but mostly entertainment. It's been said that all the empire honors a Klau'n. " :klingon:

16. Kevin Wolff

Is anyone concerned with Netflix's shift in the market? Losing much of its "one stop streaming" and extending far and fast into original programming arena might put them in a tight spot for a few years financially. Didn't they fund much of S1?

An anthology might end up being forward thinking rather than radical, as scifi needs an early green light to start the next season to maintain seasons annually. What if we have to wait 2 years or more between seasons? Would continuing the same show be of value or just recast and start fresh? This is all assuming the show makes only a modest profit.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yup. If the medium fully diversifies, then it will become increasingly difficult for the individual sites to produce a wide range of content.

Netflix operates in the hole--a fairly significant hole. But the business and share value depends more on total subscribers and not so much directly on the backs of Piper and Underwood. Just like networks don't only make their money on biggest hitter shows. TV economics are way more complicated than most give them credit for and not all that important to the discussion.

However, the point to be made is, without all the supplementary content to "pay the bills" with, the streaming sites won't be able to afford to take as many risks. Because viewership will be directly dependent on the content they create. Thus they will be less willing to take chances on the more fringe stuff.

18. Kevin Wolff

Exactly this.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They didn't fund it, i.e. they actually put the money for it, but their contract costs to CBS paid for S1. It's a difference and very important distinction in the business world.

Secondly, no, I'm not concerned, because I see them willing to experiment with formats and storytelling, and they are getting more competition, which means it will be an exciting time to see the market move.

20. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Not "much of". Whole of.