How long will/should each "Discovery" ep run?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

I'm one of those that can't tolerate any commercials. I'll gladly pay the extra $4 per month for a commercial free experience when(ever) Discovery premieres.

2. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a few $ more they have ad-free. I will be going this route.

Apparition B5 likes this.
  3. Captain Indecisive

Captain Indecisive Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As long as a piece of string :biggrin:

4. Captain Indecisive

I'm the same. Netflix is a Godsend. Apart from that the only actual television network I watch is the BBC.

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

44 minutes, so when it appears on regular commercial TV in syndication, they do not need to delete scenes to make it fit. There are scenes from TOS that I distinctly remember as a child watching in the early 1970s (albeit, those were already syndicate reruns) that today are not included in the chopped-down version on TV today.

Actually, I'm kidding. One hour long....
    (well, only half-kidding, because the scenes being deleted due to syndication does piss me off).

6. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I'd sit though a five minute commercial break if that meant I could watch DSC on CBS All Access for free! I'm broke. (Hit me - I need money!)

7. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I would rather see a show sans commercial breaks, I think too many people get overly worked up over commercial breaks.

Like I said, I'd rather have none, but regular American TV with 4 minutes of commercials out of every 15 minutes of show is not the end of the world for me.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  8. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

You're totally right. I'm just saying if that if there was a free option but you'd have to sit though a quadrillion commercials, I'd actually probably still take it. I'm that cheap. But there should certainly be a 'no commercials' option. =D

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

According to the producers the episodes can be as long as they want them to be..50 minutes or 65 and in between. I don't think it makes sense for them to be much longer than that in case of whatever passes for reruns in the future.

Personally, I liked the 55 minute TOS running length as opposed to the 46-minute length of STNG and the 43-minute length of Enterprise.

RAMA

10. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

And it's way better on streaming services. Hulu and CBSAA are about the same on this. IIRC, an hour long show will have about three commercial breaks lasting about 2-3 minutes. That's better than traditional tv and, imho, not terribly annoying unless the ad itself is annoying.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Syndication is obsolete. Fuller already said the episodes will run longer, I doubt that has changed. Their main concern is where it will stream in the future, and that doesn't have limits on time.

RAMA

12. Trajet

Trajet Commander Red Shirt

If we look at The Good Fight, which was the first show to follow the business model proposed for Star Trek: Discovery, we can assume that the first episode will run for 42-43 minutes (unless they've decided on a two-hour slot) when broadcast in order to meet CBS' advertising obligations, that it may or may not have additional material when it appears on CBS All Access, and that subsequent episodes will likely run for anywhere between 45 and 55 minutes.

13. Captain Indecisive

Are you saying these scenes where never seen again, even on DVD? Or that they still show these edited version on TV?

14. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Mandela Effect.

15. JediMindMeld

JediMindMeld Lieutenant Red Shirt

Same. I want 55 minute episodes, but I expect it'll be 42 minutes as usual. It's just an easier format to sell to various tv networks so they can insert their own ads.

16. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as is necessary to tell the story.

I'm watching Mr Robot at the moment and the episode lengths vary quite sharply. Some are at the 65minute mark, others at the 42 minute mark, yet none of the episodes either outstays their welcome or feel compressed.

One of the things I loathe about most network TV is not the adverts per se, rather how each episode must hit the 41-43 minute mark for running length. This is highlighted regularly in Supernatural and a few other shows where, having to hit that 41 minute run-time, stories feel overly compressed and you can feel they have removed scenes to accommodate this, regularly at the detriment to the show. Part of that is probably down to the show and its writers always desperately wanting to be bigger and bolder than the budget can afford, but so many of their episodes could do with any extra 5-6 minutes to let the story and characters breathe.

I hope CBS allows flexibility for the writers to tell their stories in a time-frame suitable to their goals.

Hugo - wishful thinking