HOW excited are you for PIC compared to DISCO?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by DocPhlox, Jul 23, 2019.

?

HOW excited are you for PIC compared to DISCO? (1 being the lowest

Poll closed Jul 30, 2019.
  1. 10

41.2%
  2. 9

5.9%
  3. 8

35.3%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

5.9%
  6. 5

5.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

5.9%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocPhlox

DocPhlox Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

I am MUCH more excited. What the heck took the producers so long to come up with a concept people actually wanted to see? We waited through 2 seasons of purple Klingons for this! About damn time. I say 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 for me

Infern0 likes this.
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

*yawn*

PiotrB likes this.
  3. DocPhlox

^ DISCO fan?

4. Turtletrekker

You better believe it.

5. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

I went with 8. I'm way more excited for Picard (Beyer & Chabon are gods), but I'm also extremely hopeful for Discovery's future. Discovery now has, knock on wood, steady creative leadership under new showrunner Michelle Paradise for the first time in its existence.

Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts were stuck with both Bryan Fuller's pre-production ideas and CBS executive's changes to Fuller's ideas heading into production. Early Season 2 found them finally, ahem, discovering their version of the show when they were fired for treating people like garbage behind the scenes. Then Alex Kurtzman was left with an extremely complex time travel myth arc that he had to wrap up. Who knows if Berg & Harberts had told anyone their season endgame before they were fired.

Now Paradise has all of the Fuller/Berg & Harberts/Kurtzman storylines wrapped up and the series no longer handcuffed to all the story limitations that come with being a prequel. She can boldly go forward with her own ideas and stories in an unexplored period of the Trek universe with the depth of her imagination as the only limitation.

Honestly, I'm more optimistic about the near future of Trek than I have been in a long time. Give or take some conflicting and complicated mixed feelings about the Section 31 series and TarantinoTrek. They're either going to be beloved but controversial (like The Undiscovered Country and Deep Space Nine) or complete misfires.

6. DocPhlox

OK my special delicate flower, sorry to have bothered you. Sorry, I don't like the show. It's a hodge podge of crap thrown together by Les Moonves and the many showrunners.

7. DocPhlox

You're giving DISCO too much credit. It's a turd in a porcelain bowl... swirling around and around...

8. Turtletrekker

:rommie:

You're adorable.

Midquest, ozzfloyd, pst and 2 others like this.
  9. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

A shitty Star Trek spin-off getting a brand new showrunner (TNG & DS9) and/or a sudden lack of executive meddling (ENT) in its third season and growing the beard as a result? pfff Madness! Next you'll claim that a shitty Trek film series gets good in its second installment (Wrath of Khan & First Contact). If it starts as shit it will always be shit!

10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

well i had a thoughtful reply cued up to your thread, showing my support for picard. but man...

Longinus, Campe, ozzfloyd and 2 others like this.
  11. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps you might think twice about joining a BBS as a newbie and then immediately insulting the people on it. Because that kind of behavior will not get you far here.

Turtletrekker and SolarisOne like this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is being made by many of the same people as Discovery. Expecting the makers of something you dislike to suddenly cater to your exact tastes is... unlikely.

I loved Disco S2, and am equally excited for Disco S3 and Picard S1. :)

JoeP, Turtletrekker and SolarisOne like this.
  13. DocPhlox

Look turtle, by all means, enjoy your plagiarized plot point show laden with mystical fungus drives and giant tardigrades.

14. DocPhlox

I would hazard I have been a Trek fan longer than most here. Disco is not Trek. It's a bastardization

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

In before the lock!

16. DocPhlox

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't entirely fair. Technically at the moment my excitement for Picard S1 is higher than for Disco S3 (I'll kill anyone who turns that into a soundbite!) because I just saw the trailer, I have more information about it, and it's coming out sooner.

Once we have the trailer for DSC S3 and I've already seen PIC S1, I'll be more excited for Discovery. Because it'll be the next immediate thing coming up.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    PiotrB, Butters, SolarisOne and 3 others like this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Why no option for looking towards both equally?

I guess 5 could be a middle ground.

PiotrB, Midquest, OCD Geek and 3 others like this.
  19. DocPhlox

You could vote one then. I'm asking about PIC relative to DISCO

20. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Dude, this is an awesome fucking time to be a Trek fan. CBS/Viacom are willing to spend an outrageous amount of money to give a create a ton of Trek content of varying tone, style and subject matter. Some of it will be your cup of tea; some of it won't. But you're bound to find something you like.

I mean, they just finally realised that their one solid franchise was just sitting there being utilized after decades of the company being unfairly embarrassed by it. It's the same thing that happened with Doctor Who back in 2005. This is a wonderous, magnificent thing.

Masiral, Midquest, Qonundrum and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.