How does Lower Decks compare to Star Trek the Animated Series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by The Overlord, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly comparing Star Trek: The Animated Series to Star Trek: Lower Decks makes about as much sense to me as comparing Dragnet 1967 to Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but don't tell fans that.

3. dinnae ken

dinnae ken Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'll compare the shows' artistic merits, on a superficial level.

TAS's animation might've looked primitive and cheap to some, but to me, its art is beautiful and charming. The character designs are dignified and attractive. In fact, some look much better than their real-life counterparts. Where did Kirk's love handles go? By the wave of a brush, bloat be gone!
    Some of the background paintings of alien worlds are lovely works of art, with subtle shades of acrylic paints layered in translucent gradients.
    But, by modern standards, the sound effects are frighteningly repetitive in TAS, to the point that I had to mute the audio when re-watching TAS. The identical shrieks of the alien monsters (eg, flying dragons) are seared into my membranes.

LD characters are distant cousins of Family Guy, notably the giant bug eyes and the men's top-heavy torsos. Nonetheless, the character designs are likeable, and Cmdr. Ransom and Lt. Shaxs manage to be sexy despite the simplicity.
    Backgrounds in LD are matching line drawings, filled in with single colors, so not really screenshot-worthy wallpaper materials. But I get how minimalist designs appeal to other viewers; not everyone's into naturalistic art.
    On the other hand, LD ships' exterior shots look so much more realistic that the transitions into 2D scenes can be a bit jarring, but maybe that's the point.

I didn't expect LD to have the same visual style as TAS. Both series are products of their time artistically, and I enjoy both on those terms.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My names Friday, my partner is Jake Peralta. I'm in HR filling out a transfer request...

5. fireproof78

Given Peralta's love affair with old school policing he might be on board for that...briefly.

Then, hijinks!

Nerys Myk likes this.
  6. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Lower Decks seems like an animated version of The Orville's first season. Basically a comedy.

TAS seemed more of an attempt to stay closer to TOS, a 4th season as others have mentioned.

I renewed CBS All Access subscription to watch Lower Decks. I'll cancel before next month. Don't really care for it.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Tom Hanks' character in Dragnet (1987), Pep Streebeck, was a bit Peralta-ish.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except unilke The Orville, ST:LDS actually manages to be funny once in awhile, and it fits. ;)

Jinn and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joe Friday would say something cisheterosexist, Jake would punch him, and they'd both pretend they don't see the uniformed cop across the street shooting a black man dead for not wearing a seat belt.

Jinn likes this.
  10. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me they compare like this:

One show has people talk and behave pretty close to actual people, excellent voice acting interesting stories, excellent designs and fluid animation, likeable characters, funny humour and high entertainment value.

And the other is TAS.

Also anybody thinking we're gonna see those goofy dragon things from TAS in LD at some point?

I wouldn't call the backgrounds in LD "simplistic". They are pretty standard for modern, higher quality TV animation and if you look at things like the alien farmland in EP 1 and the alien city in EP 2, those places are full of background characters, animals, etc.

Sure TAS has some nice background paintings, but I find rather jarring to then have those poor quality 70s Saturday morning cartoon characters that move stifly and are basically unable to emote pasted onto them. In LD the characters and background match and the animation is fluid.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which ones? There've been several: in "Yesteryear," "Once Upon a Planet," and "The Infinite Vulcan," at least, off the top of my head.

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The purple screeching ones with the corkscrew legs from the episode with the giant Mr.Spock.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  13. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The shriekies appeared in almost every episode, or at least that's how I remember TAS XD

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, those would be the ones I was referring to in "The Infinite Vulcan."

15. Mike McDevitt

Mike McDevitt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The next cameo from TAS I'd love to see is a Nasat like M3 Green. Those sad pillbugs are all over the SCE novels and maybe there's one rolling around the Jeffries Tubes on the Cerritos

KimMH likes this.
  16. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oddly, Lower Decks is more comparable to Brooklyn Nine-Nine (ensemble comedy with irreverent humor) than it is TAS -- and I don't mean that to necessarily be a bad thing.

Lower Decks is B99 with space explorers instead of cops. The main protagonist in both shows is mischievously cheeky, often juvenile, and has been known to flaunt authority -- yet is also very capable at what they do.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why should that be odd? There's no reason to expect any two given animated shows to be written the same way, any more than there's any reason to expect any two live-action shows to be written the same way. Especially since Lower Decks has always been clearly promoted as a comedy from the start.

18. fireproof78

Nothing odd about it. 99 is a great show and fits Trek well.

19. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree "oddly enough" is not the correct term. Maybe "interestingly enough" would have been better.

I guess I was writing that with the OP in mind -- specifically how he made the comparison between TAS and Lower Decks simply because both are animated. I think the animated aspect of those shows is a superficial similarity that says nothing about the overall tone of them, which is a more salient point of comparison.

And the tone of Lower Decks is much more similar to Brooklyn Nine-Nine than it is TAS.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yep. I've been saying all along that I reject the premise of the original question. Format is not genre. Being animated is the only thing the two shows have in common. Maybe once we have more animated Trek shows in a wider range of formats -- starting with the kid-friendly, 3D-animated Prodigy -- that will be clearer.

Lexomatic and Sci like this.