How do you think we will feel if "Discovery" is just a decent show but nothing special?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, May 14, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

I think most going in expects or hopes for greatness and some are cynical and expect complete failure but what if it's in the middle of those 2 things? Instead of getting "Battlestar Galatica" or "Firefly" we get "Stargate" or "Legends of Tommorow" which is still better than "Homeboys in Outer Space" or "Galactica 1980." Do you think we are going to be willing to acept average entertainment, especially in this day and age were we are living in the golden age of tv. There seems to be so much good stuff out there that I am having a hard time keeping up with it all. That means for some even "decent" might no longer be enough or does the Trek name give it a pass where we will still find time for it simply because we love the franchise?

Me I know I will watch even if it's horrible. I am that fan when he has a Trek marathon doesn't skip anything. Last night I watched "UNimatrix Zero" on "Voyager" and today I will proably watch "Imaginary Friend" on "TNG" because I not long ago started a marathon of each Trek series at the same time and through sheer luck these two things ended up coming together at the same time. God help me I have even watched the "TNG" ep "Shades of Grey" more times over the years than any human should ever have to.

Jason

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not worried. It's just a tv show.

3. Michael

Michael [ˈmɪçaːʔeːl] Moderator

To be honest, I was a lot more confident that the show would be “something special” or even “groundbreaking”, when Bryan Fuller was helming it. He has a track record of thinking outside of the box and delivering storytelling that feels new and fresh.

Then again, it's a new Star Trek series and I'm a lifelong Star Trek fan. So it will be “something special” for me no matter what. Of course I want this to be the best thing ever coming out of the franchise, but as a fan I will settle for “merely” entertaining and “not stupid”.

Yeah, and there's that …

4. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

If it not horribly insanely stupid I'll watch it. I'm retired, got nothing but time.

Then again, if it's horribly insanely stupid, this forum will be twice as entertaining to make up for it. :lol:

5. cultcross

cultcross You're all posters in some kind of neutral zone? Moderator

Stargate is my favourite show.

Which I bring up to make the point that whatever we get, there will be those who love it, those who hate it, and plenty in between. Your average entertainment is another's number one show. Look at the Voyager forum - a series I see as the very definition of average entertainment - it's full of people for whom Voyager was the pinnacle of Trek. One day that will be true of this forum, too.

6. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

This.

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

I agree that entertainment is subjective. I also love the "Stargate" franchise and used that as a example because I couldn't think of another middle of the road example of a space opera show.
    People's personal opinions though might lead them to thinking "Discovery" is just average entertainment and it could happen to any of us when we see the show so we are all open to that possibility so I think it's something we should consider how we will react if that is the feeling we get from the show.

Jason

Armus likes this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's just okay, I'll be happy to have Trek be back on TV and at a reasonable quality. Any more than that is gravy.

9. BillJ

BillJ Canon Warrior Premium Member

Even if its bad, this forum will be a non-stop source of entertainment. So it's win-win regardless of the quality of the show.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    If the DSC is the next Stargate I'll be incredibly satisfied. Ten years of a Star Trek show, different take on aliens and examination of personal beliefs and human evolution? Sign me up!

Mordock and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it holds my interest, I'll keep watching. If it doesn't, I won't.

CRM-114, Armus and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  12. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be disappointed but I am still optimistic about the show. Also Trek has had more than one show that took a season of figuring things out before it got truly great. So if season one is just "ok" then I'm still willing to check out season two and hope for a big improvement.

13. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

There hasn't been a Star Trek TV series to date that I haven't watched in its entirety, from the first to the last episode. So I'm happy I will have (at least) 13 new Trek episodes to watch!

questella and DS9ers like this.
  14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I think we all know there'll be some in here that believe the new show is so horrible that it'll be the end of all Star Trek and they'll have to make sure they tell us that about a billion times, in every thread. On the other end, there will be those that seemingly love it so much, they'll attack like samurai anyone who says something negative about it.

I'll bet most of us will be in-between though. Maybe we'll get lucky and it's Game of Thrones good.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Boomer American Premium Member

It'll feel pretty much like watching most of Trek after TOS.

And yeah, Stargate is pretty much the definition of unambitious, forgettable but successfully entertaining skiffy TV. I've enjoyed most of what I've seen of it.

16. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I've been unsafisfied with Trek's output after season 5 of DS9 20 years ago so I have no expectations. When I do see it Ill watch with an open mind and hopefully ill be pleasantly surprised. So far Im impressed the small glimpses we've seen of the show's look, the uniforms and the ship.

17. dinzy

dinzy Commander Red Shirt

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    I watched every episode of Voyager and Enterprise so I will watch a so-so DSC as well. Except if it has exploding consoles and sucks. I can't stomach that.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    I thought that was when Abrams was directing Trek?

19. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

Technically, I have two "new" series waiting for me: I've only ever seen two episodes of DS9.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The first season of Enterprise. That's how I felt.
    There's nothing really wrong with it, but's it's not remarkable either.

I had argued they needed to change Producers and writers to makes thing fresh again and it didn't happen.

Coming at this time in tv history, with the creative people behind it, I feel this show has a good shot at being the best one.

RAMA