How do you display or store your collections?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Saul, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you have a special room dedicated to your goods? I'm talking about your books, DVDs, Blu rays, videos, models, toys etc
    Do you display things in packages as if it were a toy shop? Do you just throw stuff everywhere? Or do you rotate things on display from time to time? Or do you put it all in boxes for that day when it can be displayed?
    How do you keep things clean? Do you have to dust a lot or do you have glass cases?
    Looking at you eaglemoss guys and gals.
    Do you have arguments with family members about your collection? Are you proud of your collection or hide it away?

I've got some things on display and other things on shelves with doors on them just to keep them dust free.
    I find that moving to digital media for some things has helped keep shelf space under control or else where does it stop? When does a collection become too big? I'd like to buy more models but I'm a bit reluctant to. I think if I gave myself one room for things I collected then I would throw caution to the wind.

(pictures welcomed)

2. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've gotten rid of most 'collections' I had. From the Star Trek stuff I kept two signed cards (playing card size) and a toy Rom. BoP which are all on display on top of a shelf in the game room. They do require some dusting, but not much - much worse is the Lego Space Shuttle that's still on the same shelf because I'm always afraid of breaking it when I try to dust it. I also have a toy Godzilla in there on the table.

My dvd and cd collections have been reduced to a fraction of what they used to be and transferred to folders instead of individual cases, which is the opposite of displaying but it lets me keep the entire collection in a single 30cm shelf with room to spare. The book/comic collection is also much smaller and shrinking, but displayed as one might expect in the bookshelves.

The two collections that are still significant in size (they've both also been downsized but far less than everything else) are playing cards and board games. I used to have the playing cards displayed on a shelf near the board games but we moved the game room to a different part of the house with slightly less room so they're all in a draw right now. There'll be a display of them again eventually, somewhere, just arranged - no glass or anything. They only require some occasional light dusting anyway. At least, the coolest things among them will be - there is definitely a hierarchy of which playing cards are the coolest to have on display, imo.

The board games are the main thing currently on display. They're on shelves, just like you would do with books, but also arranged on top of shelves. Still nothing behind glass, as we prefer being able to use them easily and the boxes can handle a light dusting just fine (which also isn't necessary nearly as often since we moved the game room to a quieter/less active part of the house). And which ones are on display at any given time is mainly a question of how all the games can fit in the space available - the big shelves have to be reserved for the biggest games and the smallest games have to go in the drawers in order to have enough space for all the medium games. Plus there is one game which I've placed standing upright on top of the others - not because I necessarily like that, but because the publishers didn't put any name or art on the sides of the box so having it lie flat looks ugly (to be fair the art on the top of the box is really nice, so I don't mind too much).

Saul likes this.
  3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got about a bookshelf and a half of hardcover books, Blu-rays, and Funkos. I've gotten rid of most of my collection over the past 20 years.

Saul likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got collections of books, movies, video games, some Funko Pops, and old '90s era Star Trek toys.
    My books are split across three book cases, one for tie-ins, mostly Star Trek, with some Star Wars, and a few other things like X-Men, Buffy/Angel, The 4400, and Serenity. Then in the second book case I have my non-tie ins, and the third bookshelf is small headboard bookcase, where I put all of the stuff I plan on reading in the near future.
    My DVDs are split across two displays, a DVD stand where I have mostly TV and longer movie series, and then a small bookcase with stand alone movies and shorter series.
    My video games are mostly in the bookcase with the DVDs, but I've run out of room for some of the games in there, so the ones that don't fit are just randomly stacked up on top of the book case and other stuff that room.
    I only have handful of Funko Pops so far, so they're all just on my dresser, with a few other collectables, like some of pewter Star Trek: TNG figures, a few LEGO minifigs that came with the games, and few other random bits and pieces I've collected.
    I have don't the storage space for my Trek toys, so they're mostly in a plastic bin in my closet, with the bigger stuff, like the Enterprise-D bridge and Shuttlecraft, just sitting in the closet.

Saul likes this.
  5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I never got the whole Funko pop thing. What is the appeal behind them? Reminds me of bobble heads. If I pick up a figure I want it to represent the one from a movie or comic in proportion.

First time I've heard of someone collecting and displaying board games. Thats an interesting one.

6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's how my collection of 20+ Funko pops began. I bought myself a Worf pop as a gift to myself. With no intentions of buying any others, and I've stayed true to that, as, like you, overall I'm not crazy about the look.

But like tribbles, they multiplied. They are the easiest (lazy?) gifts to get from friends. "Oh, he likes this movie franchise! There's a pop for that! Happy birthday. Oh, he likes this television show. There's a pop for that! Merry Christmas!" And so on.

I only bought one. But now I have a shelf in a display case too full of them.

Saul likes this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Books: Size.

DVD/BR: Alphabetized, with DVDs separate from BluRays.

Saul likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just like the designs. They're also relatively cheap compared to a lot of the higher end, better looking figures.
    If I had the money, I'd be collecting the Hot Toys, or Sideshow Collectables figures, but I can't afford to spend $200+ on each one.

Seven of Five and Saul like this.
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

A trim, light tv stand and several media hard drives for movies/TV.

[​IMG]
    One bookshelf:
    [​IMG]
    RAMA

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    J.D. and Saul like this.
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My shit is everywhere, with no rhyme or reason to it.

Saul and Relayer1 like this.
  11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

CD's, DVD's, Blurays and books piled up all over the place, in boxes, on shelves, dumped in the spare room.

Thankfully I have zero interest in action figures, toys, ships and such collectables. Or I'd not get in my house...

Saul likes this.
  12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'm a messy guy and proud of it.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd start a club, but you know...membership packs, newsletters...more shit to pile up !

:hugegrin:

14. Admiral Jean-Luc Picard

Admiral Jean-Luc Picard Commander Red Shirt

I have no use for collectibles. I collect DVD, Blu-ray, and music CD's. I only buy what I will actually watch or listen to. Bookshelves, alphabetical order, grouped by format.

15. RandyS

Plus all that work.....

Did I mention I'm also a lazy guy and proud of it?

Relayer1 and Saul like this.
  16. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'd like to purchase a NAS and rip all my DVDs to it but just haven't got around to it. My bookshelf is running out of room.

17. RandyS

Mine ran out of room a long time ago. I've had to revert to plastic storage boxes for my books. Being a voracious reader comes at a price I guess.

I'm also running out of shelf space for my DVD's. I have no desire to rip them since I prefer hard copies to digital. I guess I'll just have to kick my next door neighbors out of their house and take it over.

Smellmet likes this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saul and BillJ like this.
  19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's one on the second shelf from the top, second from left that looks a bit like the Bonaventure from TAS. Very well done.

20. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have a total of 7 bookshelves, a hutch, a desk and a mantelpiece to display my crap in/on.

This is one of my glass door bookshelves with my sci-fi books, my Game of Thrones pops. The second bottom shelf are books I will be taking down to the charity book shop. The bottom shelf is children’s books. Many of my older sci-fi books have been replaced by Kindle or audiobooks versions which is how I buy most books nowadays.

[​IMG]

This second bookshelf has my Icelandic book collection, my cats’ memorial shelf (for the real Miss Chicken and Spider) my Sherlockiana collection and a mixture of non-fiction books.

[​IMG]

My DVD collection which is located in my bedroom

[​IMG]

My Little Thinker dolls (which includes Tesla, Poe, Frida Kahlo etc) and also all my notebooks.

[​IMG]

Art and crafts and undone puzzle desk. I have more craft supplies in crates underneath the desk. My finished puzzles are stored elsewhere.

[​IMG]

My rather messy mantelpiece with my smaller giraffes and my thimbles.

[​IMG]

all up these photos show about 2/3rd of my collections.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Saul likes this.