How do the Christopher Reeves "Superman" movies hold up to more modern comic book movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Apr 19, 2017.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I quite like the idea that time travel is just Superman's go-to problem solver:lol:

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned it's still the best super hero/comic book film ever made. But that doesn't necessarily mean it "holds up" relatively speaking. It's definitely dated and does come off a bit silly in parts.

But as a cinematic achievement, none of the modern films come close, not even the NolanBats.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  3. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that was the original ending of the second movie anyway, when they originally started filming I and II back to back, but then with all the problems they decided to stop, release I with what they had, and then go back and sort II afterwards.

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Absolutely. It's worth remembering this movie was the most expensive ever made at the time with a $55 million budget, which isn't exactly chump change in 2017, let alone 1978. The scale and ambition of this movie really was unrivalled at the time, and it still shines through now, with the Krypton scenes, the stunning sweeping cinematography of Smallville, through to the massive fortress of solitude set and the movies big set pieces later on. Yeah the effects look dated, but you'd expect that given the movies age.

The fact that Reeve gives a unique, yet fantastic performance as the lead is just the icing on the cake. When you see the glut of big budget superhero movies everywhere now, you realise just how much of a forebear this film was. It's the grandaddy of them all.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

For me, the first two Superman films hold up very well, primarily because Christopher Reeve has exactly the charisma, optimism, and boyish charm Superman needed in a major film portrayal. The 3rd and 4th films in the Reeves franchise were middling to poor. I like bits and pieces of the newer films, but they always seem to miss the point when it comes to Superman: he's good. He's incorruptibly good. He is optimistic, he's kind, compassionate, and believes in honesty, loyalty, and mercy. Most of all, Superman smiles. He smiles, dammit! Quit fucking brooding, superguys, and leave that shit to Batman, who is much better at it. Superman smiles.

6. Smellmet

Yeah this is where the Snyder films fall down for me. I can see that he was trying to do his own thing and distance the movies from the previous ones, but it ended up spoiling the character somewhat. They are great looking films if nothing else though.

mos6507 and Galileo7 like this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Correct. ;)

Amaris likes this.
  8. RomulanCommander

RomulanCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't care for Man of Steel. I think Henry Cavill is a fine actor, and definitely has the look Superman needs, but the way Snyder portrays Superman is a step backward. I like Superman humanized. As one of us, but embodies the best qualities of us. Just like Reeves's Superman does.

Amaris and Noname Given like this.
  9. RomulanCommander

Oh, and one other thing: In Superman II, when it becomes clear Superman can't defeat Zod, Ursa, and Non without tearing Metropolis apart, he draws them away from Metropolis. He doesn't want people killed. Snyder's Superman kills Zod, but not until after half of Metropolis is leveled. With heroes like that, who needs Lex Luthor! (OK that's a bit of hyperbole, but still)

Amaris and Noname Given like this.
  10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Yay, another Man of Steel bashing thread, I was really missing one of those... :rolleyes:

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  11. Smellmet

Correct, and is a problem with the movie, but...

Despite this, I like Man of Steel, and think it's a very entertaining, if a little cold blockbuster. I like it much more than it's sequel.

12. RomulanCommander

Preferring one over the other and stating why... is bashing? Did I miss something?
    I actually liked Afflek's version of Batman, but other than that, I liked the sequel even less than MOS. I would have preferred a straight up live adaption of The Dark Knight Returns.

mos6507 likes this.
  13. Smellmet

Yeah I didn't mind Affleck in that movie, but bar the cinematography and effects, it's literally the only thing that film has going for it.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

MoS isn't a terrible film, they could have dropped thre last act however where Supermand and Zod fight and it would have worked just as well (for me at least).

15. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

The last four years of internet... :p

16. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

John Williams Superman theme added to Man Of Steel.

James Bond OO7 has it's iconic music beside the different title song and John Williams is the definitive Superman music score.

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    That wouldn't have worked for WB/Dc's long term franchise strategy DKR is set after all their adventures in the JL - and further would have required a 'history' between Batman, Superman, etc. that doesn't exist yet. What surprised me about the BvS ending is going to "The Death Of Superman" arc so quickly as given the events of the film, and the that World's attitude toward Superman; I don't really see that World 'mourning his loss' as was depicted.

Plus, (IMO) having a JL kickoff film without Superman is just anti-climactic. If anything perhaps they should have gone with the "Death of Superman" storyline at the end of a JL film.

18. Smellmet

Improves things no end. No superman film should be without this music. It's as iconic as movie music gets.

Galileo7 likes this.
  19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Absolutely not. Williams' Superman March is completely tonally at odds with what's going on in Man of Steel and how the content is delivered.

Amaris likes this.
  20. Smellmet

Which is exactly the point. It lifts the bleak, depressing tone of the movie, which is one the main things I disliked about the snyder superman films.