House - 5x16 "The Softer Side" - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Good

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. Average

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Relative lack of emphasis on Foreteen + more focus on House's character + interesting POTW + some great one-liners = a rather good, if standard, episode of House, M.D.. Awesome. :techman:

I'm waiting for "Who needs med school when you have wi-fi?" to show up on a signature...

2. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

This ep was a lot better than the last couple of eps.
    When House turned in to Hugh Lauriei half expected to hear a British accent.
    Some great one lines ..House doesn't do happy' twice the risk of death but no risk of arrest.
    I hope they keep this up with the rest of the season.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

:lol: - that would have been rich if he had spoken in his native voice.

4. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

And yet another episode with neither Cameron nor Chase...it's so sad that they're still in the opening credits... :(

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

This. Never thought I'd see House do a reset button, but as someone else said, the way it was done was really good.

Also loved Taub taking the piss out of Foreman especially the Terminator reference :techman:

6. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Would have voted "Excellent" if not for the reset button at the end. I think House on methadone would have been interesting to explore for a few episodes at least.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I thought it was quite arbitrary and weak. House made one mistake that almost killed a patient, and he assumes that means his medical judgment is shot for good unless he goes back to the way he was? That doesn't make sense. The whole reason he hired Thirteen was because she made a mistake that killed a patient -- which meant that he could trust her to be more careful in the future.

And if the absence of pain was so profound for him that he'd sacrifice his job for it that readily, I can't believe he'd choose to go back to being in pain just as readily.

Instead of pushing the reset button at the end of the hour, they should've at least carried this through for several episodes. Maybe have him finally give up the methadone when it nearly killed him and the medical risk of continuing was deemed too great.

Or heck, do get rid of the pain but have him turn out to be just as jerky without it. I think the episode greatly oversimplified the source of his behavioral issues. Heck, didn't we already know that he was an obnoxious jerk even before the leg injury?

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Not for them. No work and a big paycheck makes them rather happy, I'm sure.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well this isn't the first time House has suggested to us that his "misery and pain" helps make him a good doctor.

I think it's odd for him to have "sacraficed his job." As has been noted countless times, House is a world famous and renouned diagnostitian. He should be able to walk into any hospital and get a job with just his name.

Don't think we need to do ANOTHER arc this season. ;) But that would've been interesting.

I'd argue that House's pain, misery, and Vicodin abuse is a large part of the "charm" of his character. It's been suggested -by Wilson- that House's misery increased greatly after his leg injury but Cuddy has suggested that House has always been this way. We've only seen House in one flashback before the surgery to remove his leg muscle and in that episode he was a bit jerky -though in pain so...

10. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Insofar as there was a reset button at all, yes it did feel arbitrary. I would have to see it play out over a few episodes beyond this one, but I can live with the way this episode ended.

You're right about the parallel with what Thirteen did last season though - can't say I would ever have remembered that. It does make 'The Softer Side''s ending weaker when you figure that in.

It was still a much stronger episode than the past 3 or 4 even with the reset.

11. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts exactly.

It seems like every time the come up with something interesting they kill it by the end of the episode or early the next, then they let the crazed "House Hunting" cop and 14 crap episodes go on and on and on.

12. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't think House could get a job in another hospital or if he did keep it.
    I think its well know that he does not play by the rules so no one would touch him.

13. Trekker4747

The reputation of his name attached to your hospital may out weigh that.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

In the episode where the Director of Mercy fired Foreman didn't she tell Foreman pretty much exactly that? That House may get away with his crazy antics, but she couldn't let him.

15. Trekker4747

Pretty much.

Cuddy herself tells House in the first episode of the series that the reason why she doesn't fire him for not meeting his clinic obligations is that his "reputation still means something to this hospital" and it is suggested over and over that House is a world famous doctor that many seek out when they've an odd case.

Seriously, House probably didn't even need to clean up for his interviews.

16. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, good point plus I can remember at least 2 episodes about illegal immigrants coming to the US and lying about their validity in the country just to get treated by House.