Hood-class battlecruiser TOS concept design

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by AdmiralBuck, Sep 11, 2016.

1. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand that, if you're not accustomed to such in-depth criticism, it can be a bit overwhelming. Sorry for that, but I'm glad to hear that it was of help to you!
    That insignia is... Wow. Not something I would have thought of, as I'm more of a "simple shapes" kind of guy. But it looks very, very good. Just the right amount of complexity and simplicity, so that it is instantly recognizable. The Repulse's insignia was fun, but this... Oh my.

AdmiralBuck likes this.
  2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It really is outstanding--just the B/C deck could be its own ship.

AdmiralBuck likes this.
  3. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

@Admiral Buck: It does look like you've made some significant changes since both the original concept and even the renders posted (along with even more on the model... six torpedo tubes!). Could you post an updated ortho that reflects what you're building? It's always nice to follow your work as it goes from concept to finished physical model.

4. AdmiralBuck

AdmiralBuck Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not much has changed that drastically other than the secondary hull side detail. Torpedo tubes remain at four. Two fore and two aft. I moved the forward tubes from the lower primary to the command deck topside. I think what you're seeing on either side of the fore tubes are really the primary spotlights. The purpose of the 3D model was to sketch out rough ideas and concepts to get me in the ballpark to what I wanted to build as a physical scale model. Now that it's underway, any other minor change is going to happen in plastic and resin as I'm not likely to go back to the rough 3D. It's not worth my time at this point until the physical model is completely finished. Even then, it really isn't my medium or my goal to have a perfect digital replica of my plastic replica.

I did however update the profile in the side by side comparison showing the window port placement and side hull detail.

5. AdmiralBuck

A couple of random images here - the Hood Development logo and a composite of the PB-62 Mod II warp drive used on Hood. I know I'll probably get some fangineer comments on that nomenclature. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work has concentrated this week on the nacelle details and modifications. The armored intercooler was mastered in styrene and will be replicated in cast resin. Shown here with the Sentinel class (top) and standard Constitution class (bottom):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nacelle's lower swoop was cut per the plans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The aft cap was started by modifying the existing kit part. Shown here with the smaller Sentinel class components, the Hood's will be similar in shape. A chunk of high density urethane was roughly lathed to explore a possible nozzle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    LordSarvain and JES like this.
  6. AdmiralBuck

Other minor design options include a dorsal extension forward and replacing the traditional main sensor dish with a TMP-style deflector.

[​IMG]

LordSarvain, JES, dubeau and 2 others like this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very Lovely design :)

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love all the detail work of it, especially in the nacelles. All of it feels very much like an engineering project in terms of scope, and provides a little more details to capture the imagination.

Also, I'm a sucker for a good assignment patch ;)

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Do you do commissions? I'm not prepared to do anything right now, but I have a project for you down the road...

10. AdmiralBuck

No, unfortunately I don't but thanks for asking. ;)

11. AdmiralBuck

The model work of Hood continues into the lighting stage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. BorgMan

That physical model shows that U shape off even better. I fucking love it!
    The only thing that bothers me, and this might be too late, but that shape that holds the grille of the deflector... It was offset from the U shape in your original drawing, but right now it's touching the U's leading edge. It looks... Off. That could just be me, though.

13. AdmiralBuck

The existing recessed channel for the SEFAS grills has remained, which does bridge the side cove to the forward end of the secondary. I have only added the raised blister to the vanes, but there is little to do about it now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Wow..just..wow.

15. AdmiralBuck

Some updates on the 1:350 model progress. Hull work is completed, lighting is 90% done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Even half finished she looks fantastic! I love the deflector dish.

17. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What a lovely design and model. I'm really looking forward to your progress!

18. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

That looks amazing! Great job! Can't wait to see her finished in all her glory!

19. BorgMan

Ah, yes, the way the impulse housing is slanted while the vector of the actual engine is still pointed squarely aft... That's the way how it should work. Great work! What's up with the battle damage / weathering, by the way. It looks wicked :-)

20. AdmiralBuck

Thanks!
    "battle damage"? This is what's called an unfinished model in-progress. There are patches of primer, exposed wire and plastic. This is not in it's final form.