Honor Harrington casting call

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jiraiya, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Maybe Stephanie Jacobson as Honor's mother!

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

First of all, screw you, pal! (just kidding ;))

Second, Grammer is old enough to play Raoul Courvosier! Pavel Young was very close to Honor's age, and should also appear to be in his late teens/early 20s.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the actor who plays Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, the way he started writing her as the books progressed, my first thought was that Mary Sue should play her. From a strictly physical appearance standpoint, Maybe Jolene Blalock? Though she may be too pixie-ish.

4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Howzabout another genre gal with an exotic face:

[​IMG]

She's not 6' tall, but she's got a 'long' build, and if the camera can make Hugh Jackman look suitably short as Wolverine, compared to his actual height, I'm sure that the same could be done for Summer ...

:)

5. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sold. Summer Glau as Honor Harrington. Yep.

6. USS Triumphant

Yeah, I can see Glau as Harrington.

Good, that's settled. Now, they need to start filming all the movies they're going to make with her, right now, and all at the same time. After all, Honor only looks a few years older 40 years later. ;)

7. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Actually not any older at all. According to Weber the 3rd gen prolong pretty much stops aging at around 20 for a hell of a long time. She may be 70 or so by the latest book, but she still looks 20. Yay...

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Summer Glau works for me too.

If they actually did put together an Honor Harrington Live Action Feature, it would have to be at least a 3 picture deal to do the series even the least amount of justice.

Harkness & Tremaine would be awesome on screen together.

9. USS Triumphant

Harkness is one character I have pretty much always had an actor in mind for: Adam Baldwin.

10. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Which raises some issues if you think about it atall--you have people who are the physical equivalents of 13-year-olds joining the military and having sexual relationships. While life experience counts for something, a human brain at 13-equivalence just doesn't think the same way as an adult. And the sex issues... *shudder*

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Summer Glau is a good actor but lacks the gravitas to play a ship commander. They'll have to cast considerably older - very young works for male actors on the big screen, but while there's a never-ending demand for cute young things to play girlfriends in romantic comedies, female dramatic actors just don't break out and make an impression that young.

They could make a Harrington movie primarily for fans of the books, of course, but unless the budget is 98 cents that would be more foolish than making a new Trek movie primarily for trekkies - someone else has to believe the goings-on, preferably tens of millions of someone elses.

Jolie.

12. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The other plus about Jolie is that she's a "serious" actress who isn't afraid to do genre films.

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Just to throw in some other "genre" names, what about Michelle Forbes or Claudia Black?

They may not be half-asian, but they have quite peculiar features. And they surely have the gravitas and charisma to pull the part.

Age might be an issue, but (very personal opinion) I always though that the Prolong stuff was just a gimmick to have the characters young and appealing. Let adults be adults, please. Teenagers are ok for Evangelion, not much for Tom Clancy in space.

14. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

The prolong seems more a way around the time dialation issues with being in space more than a gimmick to keep the characters young.

15. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Actually the time dilation would keep them younger longer rather than the other way around. I think that prolong is to allow the characters to stay physically viable over the long periods the war covers. After all Honor was 50 or so when the books began, having her still be physically active more than twenty years later would be hard without prolong.
    However, if you are casting for gravitas without worrying about youthful prolong characters, I go with Claudia Black.

16. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CB, I'm wit dat.

17. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooooooooh. That's good. That's really good.

Claudia Black also works as Honor for me.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Claudia Black. Probably not as Harrington, though. She's too eccentric.

Hell, forget Harrington and give Black her own movie or series where she gets to be in charge of the big ship. :lol:

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tom Berenger as Adm Tourville, with him done up very similar to when he played Teddy Roosevelt.

20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I will support anything with Claudia Black in it: she's just seven kind of awesome. My girlfriend has a crush on her, too: I suspect she would be the only other woman that would be allowed in a threesome with the two of us. I could definitely live with that! ;)