Honest Trailers

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Csalem, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

The team at Honest Trailers have turned their attention to Doctor Who. They have done two trailers: Classic Doctor Who and Modern Doctor Who. They have also done a commentary video for each.

Modern Doctor Who:

Classic Doctor Who:

Modern Doctor Who Commentary:

Classic Doctor Who Commentary:

As a Screen Junkies fan, and Doctor Who, I think they are fair. They also seem to have become new regular viewers as a result.

2. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I saw the "Modern Who" one this afternoon. Honest Trailers has become increasingly hit-or-miss of late, so I expected to roll my eyes, but I didn't. I chuckled several times. It was a fair skewering. The closest I got to LOLing was the "British Empire in space" bit. So true.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked them both, although I'm baffled by the defeatist tone in the editors in the commentaries. Its not exactly "impossible", its just time consuming. There is a sizeable difference. I mean, OK, with the first two Doctors, sure, but from Three onwards its not out of the question.

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

This was a hell of an undertaking. While they had a resident Who expert at Screen Junkies, the team that did the NuWho trailer and the guy that did the Classic Who trailer had never seen the show before. The NuWho team binged the entire revival series. The Classic Who guy watched a shit ton of serials (somewhere between 100-200 half hour episodes total) based on the resident Who expert's recommendations, online fan recommendations for must see serials and (to "get a flavor of everything") the ones considered each Doctor's worst serial.

Qonundrum and Grendelsbayne like this.
  5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trailer does bring a good point on Talons being the epitome of all OldWho.

However, I will maintain that the casual racism, while wrong, is more in-line with the era than not having it there would've been. The only objection I'd have is the casting of Mr. Chen.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. dauntless

dauntless Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm probably in a minority here, but I find Honest Trailers truly unfunny.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I love their description of David Tennant, "The master of staring forlornly into the middle distance." :guffaw:

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Brilliant. I really enjoyed that. The trailer for new Who is a bit more poignant, I think. Loved the monster descriptions in both trailers.

Also, the satisfaction one feels after making it through all the incredibly drawn out episodes of The War Games when the show suddenly switches to colour and a fast pace is really worth it. ;)
    I loved that, too.

I also loved "The inflatable plastic chair of DOOM!" :lol: That's what I thought when I first saw that episode.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That was my favourite bit!

Csalem likes this.
  11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

It was all pretty well done. And it shows when people know the source well. I wonder what they left out.

12. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Deleted scenes are included in the commentaries.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Ah. I'm on a very dodgy setup ATM, running at dialup speeds, I'll have to save that pleasure for later.

14. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Just to save you from disappointment, there're no deleted scenes for the Classic one. They put all they got into that Honest Trailer.