Holy crap, David Mack is awesome.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Dec 5, 2009.

1. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Yes, Dave, because as we all know, this place exists just to preen the authors' egos, buddy. ;)

I'm still here. Working and writing, as always. 2010 looks to be a big year, but more when that's settled, because I wouldn't dream of disrupting Dave's thread. ;)

(In case the fact that I've been in bed with some sort of bug for two days has dulled my sarcasm from being its usual painfully obvious, read everything with sarcasm there. ;) Except 2010, that really is going to be interesting.)

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Poor ol' cat has never been the same...

3. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jemmie body count in that story was far too high. He's now on "wanted" list in the GQ...
    Do I get points of some kind for posting this warning?

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, he may be awesome, but he's not Chuck Norris/Admiral Adama/Captain Robeau.

However, he is of sufficient awesome that upon receiving his latest Vanguard novel this Tuesday, I shall suspend my reading of St. Augustine's Confessions that I'm reading for a grad class next semester, and read the Vanguard novel instead.

5. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

What is Twilights Wrath? I enjoy David Macks books but never heard of this.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Read the first post a little more carefully ;)

7. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I finished Vanguard: Precipice last night, and can only state that "awesome" is, if anything, insufficiently complimentary. What a fantastic book - my favorite of the Vanguard books thus far, and one that leaves me crying out for the next book in the series (can there really be none scheduled for more than a year?)...still, I take solace in the notion that the next Mack book will be out in a matter of weeks!

8. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ah but he IS listed amongst them now. I mean who else would have the balls to kill so many people in a single trilogy? Who else would have the balls to nearly wipe out so many important worlds and do in the Borg? Who else I ask you?

I dare say that David Mack is actually the mild mannered name for Captain Robeau... with some make up and whatnot to make him appear to be Pakistani-American!

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Captain Robeau was of Pakistani and Cuban descent? I don't recall him having any American heritage.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually, since there are no absolute reference frames, and since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, both interpretations are equally valid.

11. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was talking about Faran Tahir the actor who played Captain Robeau.

Either way the sentiment stands, unless you wish to challenge it! :bolian:

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just a quick note to everyone in this thread who has spelled his name as "Robeau", it's actually spelled "Robau".

And now, back to the Mack love fest...

I also dig the Mack. He along with Christopher, KRAD, DRG3, and Kirsten Beyer, make up my Top 5 treklit authors. (Honorable mention to William Leisner, from whom I've only read the fantastic Losing the Peace.)

The last thing I read by Mr. Mack (i'm behind on the Vanguard novels) was his original Sorrows of Empire. I loved it. I had decided that I wasn't going to pick up the new edition coming in a few weeks, but when I found out that it was roughly twice the size of the original short story, I changed my mind. This, along with his JJ novel and Typhon Pact book should make 2010 a great treklit year :techman:

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. Nor is its second syllable pronounced like "beau" (rhyming with "know"). Rather, it should rhyme with "now." It's a Cuban surname, so it's of Spanish derivation, not French. The character is named for Roberto Orci's uncle, who was born in Cuba.

The original Sorrows of Empire is not a short story (defined as something under 7500 words), but a short novel. Anything over 40,000 words is a novel.

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Whatever man. You know what I meant.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

As he corrected you, I suspect he didn't.

16. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, as soon as I finish the "Errand of..." books, Vanguard is next on my list. So there.

I need to catch up on watching at least DS9 before I want to crack into Destiny. But I will. It's sitting on my bookshelf, taunting me.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

For your incorect spelling of Robau's name you shall all suffer unimaginable torment at Robau's hands.

18. dispatcher812

Thrawn,

I am sorry but I still have no idea what it is you are all talking about. I re-read the first pos several times, and I did a google search as well as a serach on Simon And Schuster but could not find anything with that title.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here are the important parts (emphasis mine):

20. dispatcher812

Ok I am still missing something here. Can someone please explain. I get that the are his (David Macks) tales. Did he write something and put these tales in it? I enjoy his books an if I am missing something I would like to know.