Hey, I never noticed that before....

I seriously, seriously doubt that there is a class in Starfleet academy focussed on the rank insignia of 200 year old fascist regimes.

Why would there be? Of what possible, practical use would that be for the average Starfleet officer? How on Earth is it in any way, shape or form relevant in terms of learning how to live and work aboard a starship?

But an alien society might decide to use it! All of earth’s history is invaluable to forming the basis of alien societies! Rome - Chicago - Nazi Germany - Yankee Traders - Cooms - Yangs - this is how alien societies work!

When I was watching Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and they would face an insanely unlikely peril (almost any color episode), I used to think, the Navy should show this one in submariner school and tell the guys, "You have to be ready for this." That would be funny. :)

I worked with a guy who serived on a submarine. He loved the show, it was one of the very few series to focus on the adventures of a submarine. He also said his tour of duty wasn't nearly as interesting and he wished his sub has a much room inside as the Seaview.

I reviewed the Transcript, Spock never IDs rank, he's called a lieutenant by a Nazi officer in dialogue first. Kirk ID's his uniform as Gestapo, but the black uniforms with the skull insignia is extremely famous, so that's not unrealistic at all.

This is the only exchange where Kirk comes up with a rank first.

KIRK: This is a day to remember, Major.
MAJOR: Lieutenant? Better see a doctor. You don't look well. Your colour.
SPOCK: Yes. I shall tend to it, Major.

A lucky guess? His epaulettes do ID him as a Major, (would have been better of he wasn't because that's exactly when he gets suspicious). I would like to note that Lieutenant and Major are the only two ranks that are the same in English and German.

I worked with a guy who serived on a submarine. He loved the show, it was one of the very few series to focus on the adventures of a submarine. He also said his tour of duty wasn't nearly as interesting and he wished his sub has a much room inside as the Seaview.
I often say the same thing about my space service.

And with wonderful choices in the cereal aisle like...

Honey Nut SiskOs
Honey Bunches of Odos
Frosted Frakes
Nerys' Puffs
Wil Wheaties
Apple Jakes
Jean-Lucky Charms
Risa Crispies
Keiko Puffs
Cinnamon Tosk Crunch
Gorn Flakes
Special Kes
Raisin Brunt
Boo Harry
Trex
Fruity Tribbles
Shranded Wheat
CapTAIN Crunch
Honey Dax
Morn Pops
All Shran
Golden Garaks

We have an embarassment of riches in amount of choices.
This sounds like a perfect contest for the trek Art Board

I reviewed the Transcript, Spock never IDs rank, he's called a lieutenant by a Nazi officer in dialogue first. Kirk ID's his uniform as Gestapo, but the black uniforms with the skull insignia is extremely famous, so that's not unrealistic at all.

This is the only exchange where Kirk comes up with a rank first.

A lucky guess? His epaulettes do ID him as a Major, (would have been better of he wasn't because that's exactly when he gets suspicious). I would like to note that Lieutenant and Major are the only two ranks that are the same in English and German.

That's the exchange I'm talking about.

Not denying they might learn about WWII, but that entails learning about prominent figures, events, causes and dates. Minutiae like rank insignia is the province of the enthusiast or the fanatic.

I could see it coming up as one on a list of topics you could choose from for a class project/presentation. Kirk and Spock both strike me as the type to take notes on/memorize, however unintentionally, other student's presentations. Alternately, the teacher could say that the next quiz will include random details from each student's report, so be sure to listen closely.

I could see it coming up as one on a list of topics you could choose from for a class project/presentation. Kirk and Spock both strike me as the type to take notes on/memorize, however unintentionally, other student's presentations. Alternately, the teacher could say that the next quiz will include random details from each student's report, so be sure to listen closely.

You seriously think memorising and making a presentation about Nazi emblems and regalia might be suitable stuff for a classroom?

Or you think Kirk and Spock might be the type to zero in on fascist iconography and decide to memorise it for fun?

Come on. What you are proposing in order to rationalise this is clearly absurd.

As I said, the teaching of history involves events, dates and figures. Not minutiae. We don’t learn (by rote) rank insignia from the 18th century in modern history classes so there’s absolutely no reason why this would come up in a history class of the 2200s.

Last edited:
You seriously think memorising and making a presentation about Nazi emblems and regalia might be suitable stuff for a classroom?

Or you think Kirk and Spock might be the type to zero in on fascist iconography and decide to memorise it for fun?

Come on. What you are proposing in order to rationalise this is clearly absurd.

As I said, the teaching of history involves events, dates and figures. Not minutiae. We don’t learn (by rote) rank insignia from the 18th century in modern history classes so there’s absolutely no reason why this would come up in a history class of the 2200s.
Unless the minutiae is the point. It's a history class at a military academy. The BTS for the assignment may be to weed out those that do - or do not - pay attention to details.

I can see the uniforms and ranks being part of a lesson on the iconography and symbolism used by Nazi Germany's leaders to manipulate and control the general population.

I certainly can't think of a better place for it.
History is important to study, if at times unsavory.
I can see the uniforms and ranks being part of a lesson on the iconography and symbolism used by Nazi Germany's leaders to manipulate and control the general population.
Absolutely. It's not just the uniforms but the context of the times. What did it mean to the people of the time, how they reacted, and how it separated members of the military from the civilian population.

History Buffs love minutia: On my free time, I watch the History Channel which includes WWII. I've had books with historic military uniforms; there were a couple pages of illustrations on WWII German uniforms and insignia. Go to war museums and there are mannequins wearing real military uniforms for the subject being depicted. Watch any WWII movie and uniform rank is shown and used. The first thing you learn in the military is how to recognize rank insignia. Even on this TrekBBS site, we have pages of discussions about rank insignia on Trek's fictional uniforms. Etc. Etc.

358688804_6268557939923526_3370153344053028700_n.jpg

If only....

Back