"Hey, I never noticed that before...." (TNG edition)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Aug 21, 2016.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7-8 years would be an extraordinarily short life span for a ship class, though. I'd assume that would mean the galaxy class was considered a failure.

2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad Deanna Troi wasn't named Susan. Then she'd be a black-eyed Susan. :lol:

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is one other advantage to having a physical copy, if your ISP goes down you can't stream.

4. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Good point. Then again, it had a lousy firewall (Iconion probe), they did some crazy mods on the engines and ran them beyond spec quite a bit (Traveller, ComputerBarkley, The Binars, Geordi's performance mods). Also it could be said that its design was obsolete and too much of a pleasure craft after the Borg attack, increased alpha quad instability, etc. The actual shift in design back to a more of a battleship look (E, Defiant, even Voyager) supports a theory like this. :techman:

5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forget Iconians, their firewall couldn't even block the Kataan probe, a 1,000 year old rocket sent up by a primitive post industrial society.

"Captain, the probe is scanning our shied frequencies and penetrating through. Should I blow this thing out of the sky?"

"No, Mistah Woef. Try to hail it"

Gary7 likes this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I buy all my stuff from iTunes. And it's not streaming. :)

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

8 years and the Rest. Development starts in 2343 and the prototype/class leader isn't launched until 2357.

According to Memory Beta referencing the technical Starfleet only intended there to be 12 Galaxy Class starships (possibly at reference to their only being 12 Constitution Class at the time of TOS),

Initially only 6 were completed (Galaxy, Enterprise, Yamato, Odyssey, Venture seen or referenced on screen, and Challenger seen in alternate timeline on Voyager)) with the remain space frames going into storage.

Then along comes the Borg and the Dominion and the remain space frames were completed and put into service as warships (DS9 Tech manual) and a number of Galaxy Class seen in various fleets.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

And significantly, the Galaxy does a lot of fighting in the Dominion War, being the only starship type other than Defiant to ever actually kill an enemy vessel on screen, while the Sovereign is never shown taking part.

We may choose to think the Sovereign was a successor or even a replacement for the Galaxy. Or we may rather choose to think that Picard was demoted from a Galaxy to the much lesser and apparently less combatworthy Sovereign for daring to lose one of the former.

Timo Saloniemi

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Or simply there were no command slots open on existing Galaxy class and given that a Sovereign Class was going to named Enterprise offered the command to Picard.

Secondly as Picard wasn't aboard at the time he couldn't have been held responsible for the loss of the 1701-D.

Gary7 likes this.
  10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well aside from the producers likely not wanting or allowed to use Soverign Class ships, there might be a reason in-universe for not seeing any if it was a realtively new design there might have only been a grand total of two, the USS Soverign and the USS Enterprise.

Or simply during wartime they shifteed focus to build as many ships as possible if you could build say 3 Definat class in the same time it took to construct 1 Soverign Class ship which option would you pick?

11. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

I'm reminded of what the Doctor said to Tuvok in Flashback:

"I don't know what happened to you, but there can be any number of explanations – hallucination, telepathic communication from another race, repressed memory, momentary contact with a parallel reality... take your pick. The universe is such a strange place."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Prax likes this.
  12. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, after all the crazy things that happen to them, it's funny whenever the crew gets skeptical. Like when Picard is shifting through time and everyone thinks he's crazy until Data says "I think this might be possible..." and then all the sudden everyone is on board and begins theorizing.

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Dunno what you mean by "side hallway" but they run right for the big main hatch and turn into the regular (but blue lit) corridor right here.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Bynar's have hair on the sides of their necks under their ears!

15. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^were they noticeable on a 1987 19" TV?

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The Bynars are asymmetrical too. The ear they keep towards their pair is different from the other ear.

17. Mordwyn Fen-Dweller

Mordwyn Fen-Dweller Ensign Red Shirt

I'm not sure if this counts, but when that Romulan Traitor is drilling Data for tactical knowledge in Data's Day, he doesn't clock at all that it's weird that this random diplomat is fishing for info, anyone else would have been very suspicious.

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I noticed that too. Looking back on Season One it is very noticeable.

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I never noticed that before either!!

20. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else find it weird that Countess "Regina Barthalomew" has a name very similar to "Reginald Barclay"?

Gary7 likes this.