Heroes 3x25 "An Invisible Thread" Discuss and Grade (SEASON FINALE)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

24.4%
  2. Above Average

29.3%
  3. Average

22.0%
  4. Below Average

17.1%
  5. Poor

7.3%
  1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroes 3x25 "An Invisible Thread" Discuss and Grade (SEASON FINALE

Thus leaving us with the lame ones?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then they can work on improving the lame ones. But the philosophy that something as key as a character death should be used only to cull the weak is the wrong attitude. Character deaths should be used for maximum dramatic impact, and a lame character can never provide that.

You have a negative vision; Heroes needs a positive one.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When they discover Nathan is really Sylar, they'll need Peter, Matt, Hiro, Ando, Mohinder and Claire to merge together to form Stupidion to fight him.

4. Dorian Thompson

Of course my vision is negative. I got left with Mohinder and Clare and they took Nathan. Mohinder and Clare suck.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, none of them is capable of forming the head.

6. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say suck but the characters are just not interesting. That's fine if the plot is entertaining enough I have no problem with the writers using them as action figures working on a big crisis and serving to provide exposition. Heroes problem has been that now they are trying to slow things down and give us some of what they consider character focus and development and it really isn't all that impressive--certainly not in its own right and most definitely when it comes to making up for the trainwreck of what came before.

And I would argue Nathan wasn't a great character, at least for the past two seasons but moreso in season three. I am far from angry or upset because they chose to get rid of him. If I had my way the entire cast would have been dumped. Maybe have a new more powerful figure pop up and slaughter not just Our Heroes but Sylar as well.

7. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ah yeah, actually I forgot to mention that I have seen an ep of the show, once, something about them going after vampires. It was alright. The probelm is that the two main guys did nothing for me in the looks department, I found them a little bland. Yeah I know they are attractive, but... nope they didnt spark anything in me. But I might give the show a shot someday, it seems to be pretty popular huh?

then again I didnt find Mick St John at all attractive when I first watched Moonlight(which I saw cuz I like vampires as long as its not teen oriented crap) & I ended up totally hooked on him(too bad stupid CBS canned the show, man talk abut a show that could have been a huge cult hit for them, dedicated female fanbase & right on the heels of Twilight mania...stupid stupid CBS)

Geez. No wonder only attractive people get cast on tv shows. :borg:

8. Dorian Thompson

Oh, melancholymecha....you should really give the show another chance. It has changed in content, and the leads (especially Padalecki) have changed physically in a considerable way. Padalecki looked like a scrawny kid four years ago. Trust me, he don't look that way no more. :devil: Then there's Misha Collins, Mr. Luscious Angel who's a total dick. You'd like it. :lol: Good looking men and then some. Pasdar would fit in soooooo well with that group.

9. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ok, I will try, if I can find time :(
    are the first 3(?)seasons available on dvd?

and look at what I just found on the interwebs:

[​IMG]

:guffaw:

10. Dorian Thompson

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Nice. Me like butter. Real butter.

Yes, the first three season are available on DVD. You must have seen an episode from season one with the vampires. Jammer from BSG played one of the vamps. The show improved markedly in seasons two and three, and season four's been through the stratosphere.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yea, next to Lost and Dexter, Supernatural up there as one of my favorite shows!

12. Dorian Thompson

:cool: Dexter rocks. Michael C. Hall is second to none.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Who do you think they burned on that funeral pyre, Anakin Skywalker?

14. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

They burned the Quinto-shaped corpse of the shapeshifter Sylar stole his powers from.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Are we sure? I thought it was Nathan's corpse, and Matt was making everyone see Sylar.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was the faux-Sylar corpse, to prove to the rest of them that Sylar was dead.

17. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is true. And I would agree with this if I viewed Heroes as a healthy show. But I don't. So trimming the deadwood would be for the best. Too many of these characters are far too damaged from wayward plotting and schizophrenic characterization to be rehabilitated in any interesting way. And let's face it, even when the show was at its entertaining best, it was incapable of meaningful character development.

18. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I doubt very much that Nathan will stay dead. Nothing is too ridiculous on this show. They'll bring him back by cloning, or long-lost cousin, or (wild speculation) perhaps by use of Sylar's shape-shifting power, he will split into two people ala Christopher Reeve in Superman II, one will essentially BE Nathan because he would have all of Nathan's memories and personality intact. Hmmm that's actually kind of a cool idea. :vulcan:

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mohinder and Ando could be improved via writing. Mohinder is a scientist and needs to return to that role - this show needs a scientist character and it gives him a unique role. Just being another hero isn't going to cut it. For Ando, I dunno - but he needs to establish an identity not just as Hiro's sidekick.

I think Hiro, Tracey and Claire are hopeless because of the actors - you'd have to come up with some excuse why they changed their physical appearance and recast the roles before you could get them out of the stagnant level they're mired at.

But that leaves Peter, Matt and Angela as perfectly interesting characters, plus Noah who I doubt is going to develop much more but could still be used to good effect, plus I'm sure we'll see Danko and Micah back and maybe the writers can get to work on creating some more worthwhile recurring characters?

Because that's the other big issue here, if there's going to be a threat of death and/or permanent change looming over these characters, we need a realistic expectation of decent replacements, even if it's merely one or two a year. I don't know if it's the casting dept or producers or what, but they seem to have a very hard time either hiring good actors or moderately talented actors who work anyway because they fit the roles so well (Milo, Greg, Sendhil).

The first season cast working so well gave me an unrealistic expectation that they could keep it up. Now it's obvious they just got lucky. So far, their only notable post-S1 successes have been Elle and Danko. Daphne was okay, but I wasn't sad to see her go.

Hee hee. Nathan-Sylar encounters a Duplicate Boy type metahuman and gloms his powers. But when he tries it, he splits into Nathan and Sylar. Nathan kills Sylar, so that he can be "himself" with no Sylar left over.

But the metaphysical issue remains - that's not Nathan so much as Sylar, who has permanently become Nathan without the expectation that he can ever revert to Sylar. Nathan-Sylar has all of Nathan's memories now, yet people aren't accepting him as "real" Nathan, and the ameoba splitting routine won't change that. The fact remains that Nathan is still dead and they haven't re-animated his corpse. (Which is a plus for me; the one thing they had better not ever do is bring original Nathan back from the dead.)

Or Sylar escapes so that Peter can be the one to kill him in that big, honkin, final confrontation at the end of the series.

I'd be happy if they killed off Hiro, Tracey and Claire but for whatever reason the writers have decided they are too "popular" to lose so we have to suffer along with the deadwood, I guess.

And I'd count Nathan as one of the most damaged and unrehabilitatable characters - is it realistic that the rest would ever truly forgive him, considering how poorly motivated and incomprehensible his actions have been? By removing the real Nathan from the story, the writers avoid worrying about making this plausible. Before we have time to worry about it, the Sylar-Re-emergence plotline will kick in next season.

20. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I don't want to see Hiro go and I don't think the actor protraying him is bad, he's just not being creative his role and, sadly, doesn't have much to work with to begin with.

If they draw him into becoming something like FutureHiro, I think he could become a great character again. I disagree that he wasn't very convincing in that role, and actually think it was great to have a "pudgy" badass who could kick your ass with or without his power. He just needs to grow up and mature as a character, and return to what his original goal was shaping up to be: To make the world a better place for people like him. A true activist and believer, not just someone who keeps saying it like Peter seems to be.