Here it is - no bloody "A", "B" "C" or "D"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i like it but the nacels are super close to the saucer section.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Psion & Plum, I know we have disagreed on the look of the new Enterprise, but I have to say how much I enjoyed this response! I think I finally understand WHY you have problems with the new designs. We may never agree on nuTrek, but now I understand you. Thank you for sharing this! :techman:

3. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    no worries. :) Great stuff Psion.

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! My pleasure, Sector 7. And I'm not completely against the new look yet ... just that one bad picture. It looked good in the trailer, but everything whizzed by so fast that I'm still not sure what I saw. If only a certain chipmunk would stop stealing all the photographic nuts people have been posting from the trailer recently ... ;)

5. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

That poor chipmunk is worn out from trying to keep this tree from being cut down.
    Legally, they have to keep them off the board.

6. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I loved the function and consistency too. I was really glad that, for the most part, Trek tried to be constant. That lack of caring, or seemingly lack of caring in the new trailer and E is what sucks for me.

7. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

I agree with your sentiments. I also think they shouldn't swimg the pendulum too far in the function department though. There has to be a cool factor, there has to be SOME sizzle to the steak.

8. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Once again I point out that you like the show that has the much more advanced looking starship and is a prequel.. You want function and consistency? Now we have that becasue the New Enterprise looks like something that was spawned after the NX-01. The TOS enterprise looks like it came from a totally different Federation.

9. Psion

Excellent! Then the time for us to strike is now. Soon the boards will be ours!

That right there would be a really interesting point to argue. Not just the accuracy of the statement itself (Paramount owns the copyright and therefore can direct how the IP is used, but where does fair-use enter into this? If music sampling is used to create other songs without issues, why can't people discuss single frames posted from a video?), but the effects of such regulations.

10. nil_jones

nil_jones Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

(Out of complete ignorance) isn't fair-use out of the picture if the element being 'used fairly' was from an illegally obtained reproduction?

11. Psion

Yes! You're absolutely right! Phasers, for example, should probably be invisible in space until they hit a target. We should hear no sound in a vacuum. And the pride of the United Federation of Planet's proudest ship in the Star Fleet ought to have a little sports car flare in the bodywork. I'm not a fundamentalist in the function over form argument, just a proponent of balance.

ADDED AFTER POSTING:
    It might well be, but I'm just as ignorant on this point as you are. I suppose it depends on the quality of the argument of the plaintiff's and accused's attorneys and whether the judge can be bribed.

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

What do you mean, without issues? You can't just use parts of a song and sample them into your own music without paying royalties. Or am I totally off on this? :confused:

13. nil_jones

nil_jones Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As an independent musician that never sells his music (providing it online, for free), I'd be pretty miffed (potentially to the point of taking action, depending on the severity of the sampling) if MY music was sampled without AT LEAST my explicit permission, barring royalties (unless they're selling their co-opted version of my provided-for-free work).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  14. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, and in all reality, if such a thing happened I think we may not end up with anything even remotely like the Enterprise if this happened. Structurally, what would be the point of having three main parts (saucer/neck/engineering section) to the ship when they can combine into one, much like a Space Shuttle, or a very large version of "The Phoenix" from First Contact, etc? I think this would even apply to Matt Jefferies' design in all honesty, which itself has some rather weird design flaws. One being the neck and the thin pylons. As I think Roberto Orci even said, he was afraid someone would hit the Neck with a torpedo the right way and it would tear the ship right in half. Also having the bridge one of the easiest targets for an enemy vessel isn't too smart (but then apparently neither are any of the enemies Star Trek has faced until Generations!) And where were the escape pods? And whomever designed the bridge, well, I'd hate for a fire or something to block the way of the ONE turbolift exit. Let's face it, the Enterprise was a death trap! And I don't mean to say this to pander to Rick, but I think for practical purposes this is Rick went on the right path for the things I mentioned ship wise. But he had even conceded

The whole thing is, even with "real life justifications" for why some things are the way they are on a ship, it won't change the fact that these ships aren't real and they aren't going to actually fly through Space. So there will be wiggle room to give something that is visually pleasing and then work around that for all of those technical things. So in this case, sometimes style will have to take over substance for a ship design because you have to choose between pleasing an audience or someone who tries figuring out why things do what and if they can work or not. Who do you think the overwhelming majority will be?

In all reality, the new ship is primarily different on the surface cosmeticly from Matt's ship. The parts and where they are in relation to each other (Saucer, Dorsal at an angle coming from the bottom back end.. leads to the Engineering section below with two pylons angled and nacelles at the top) and those things are basically the same with the exception of the weird placement of the Neck and Engineering section. If those were more proportional to where they give the ship a "balanced" look, then it would look A LOT better I think.

15. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

As long as the sample isn't larger than a certain percentage you're good.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yeah, I'd be pretty miffed as well. (I'm making music myself.)

17. Psion

Yep, it looks like it's a bit of gray issue. Dark gray. I was surprised it's been going on as long as it has. But it looks like it isn't quite the "fair use" issue as I thought it was! Alas, Qonos, we're both wrong on this point.

18. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure, but here are some more photos from the trailer. Found them on the net

Taken the photos down...do to the people of this forum...Its there fault. :D

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

And he has seen the light. Huzzah! :D

20. THE CHEBB

THE CHEBB Captain Captain

Those or Gabe's version would've been just amazing....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.