News He-Man anime series from Kevin Smith coming to Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, they were pretty good in that regard. I was more talking about the kind of stuff they had them doing, versus the kind of stuff they had the men doing.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

division of labour.

if one of them works out of the house, the other one should take care of the house and children.

That's fair.

It gets sexist when they both work, and the woman still has to do all the housework.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interview with Mark Hamill (Skeletor) and clip. Maybe avoid if you haven’t seen The Mandalorian but plan to.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except the way that they divided the labor was pretty sexist.
    It really amazes me that anyone could watch the show and try to tell me it wasn't sexist. I understand that was just the way most shows did things back then, but looking at it today it looks pretty sexist.
    It's a great show overall, and a lot of fun, but this is the kind of thing that stands out today.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I never said it wasn't sexist. I said that, within the context of the inherent sexism of the time it was made in, Gilligan's Island nonetheless managed to treat its female characters well as characters, making them distinct individuals who were often relevant to the stories, in contrast to the kind of shows I was originally talking about that reduced their sole female regular to a token. I wasn't disagreeing with the premise that it was sexist, just contextualizing it. More than one thing can be true about a show at the same time.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I haven't paid any attention to this at all. I was just never into He-Man. I was a bit too young when it started and just as I turned six there was this thing about these guys in a sewer.

But I just found out Hamill and SMG are in it. So I might have to give it a go.

8. Mr. Adventure

^ just when I finally got used to that meaning Sonequa Martin Green…

Guy Gardener likes this.
  9. Guy Gardener

If Darrin worked in a factory and did hard labour, and came home broken... That's a fair exchange of labour for cleaning the house and raising the kid.

Darrin thought for a living, and not that hard, and Sam seemed to come up with most of his good ideas, but he earned ten times the wages of a factory labourer.

So to be fair...

Samantha should be looking after a house ten times the size with ten times the children to keep the equation even.

Maid's Alice and Hazel did everything for the TV Mom's on Brady Bunch and Hazel. Is that fair? Moms who do not clean and ignore their children, as daddy works all day and pays for the maid?

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/li...orence-henderson-carol-brady-job-brady-bunch/

Then there's the meth problem.

Urban legend would have us believe that all the middle class house wives were on diet pills.

They had 5 times as much strength and speed than the drunky dad, and they hardly remembered any of their toil.

Raising kids without Meth, now that's hard.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As a veteran viewer of both '80s and '90s animation, I find the idea of Skeletor now having the Joker's voice both incongruous and kind of perfect.

Shaka Zulu and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  11. Mr. Adventure

Maybe mentioned before, I’m not looking, but Allen Oppenheimer (at 91!) the original voice of Skeletor looks to have a cameo role as Moss Man in the new series.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope the day gets saved at the end of the series because Skeletor still has the Xmas spirit from the holiday episode.

13. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

It would seem not.
    There's spoilers that Skeletor kills Adam, when he's about to change into He-Man in one of the later episodes, then takes the sword for himself

14. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Kevin Smith answering Twitter questions on MotU:R.

And here is Dan Murrell's newest episode of his YT show/podcast All My Movies, about the 1987 MotU movie:

Yeah, okay, not directly connected, but I love Murrell's show, and my guess is there's at least some interest for this episode here.

15. Josh Kelton

IGN's review - This seems to be quite well-received.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for posting that, I agree with him almost word for word on every aspect. Nice to see I'm not alone, as you can see from my comment earlier in the year:

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually rewatched that film a couple of months ago and absolutely agree on Frank Langella. Though I had some issues with the film when I first saw it (back when it came out), I still thought it was worth rewatching.

18. Josh Kelton

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, I actually agree with what you're saying here, it was directed at @Guy Gardener.
    OK, I think I missed something, because I'm not quite sure how this relates to whether or not Gilligan's Island was sexist.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  20. Guy Gardener

It's more about classism.

Mrs Howe did nothing.

Ginger did nothing.

Gilligan and Mary-Ann did everything ascribed to the gender rolls.

I suppose the Professor was specialized labour since no one else on the island knew how to turn a coconut into a radio.

Lost.

Right at the beginning Shannon's sexy brother bet her that she was a useless waste of skin, because she couldn't get a fish. So she she used her near nudity and sexuality to make that Hobbit Charlie, catch her a fish. And then blue balled Charlie got frustrated when Shannon walked off with his fish to have sex with her brother.

I can imagine Ginger going that to Gilligan a lot.

Not that she had any one to have incest with.

I can also see Ginger killing Lovey Howe, and taking her man, and then waiting out the clock on Mr. Magoo to inherit his millions.

Mr Howe was useless on the Island, although he had a briefcase of money that he was slowly feeding to Gilligan to keep himself fed and clean, but Ginger was playing the long game.

Sigh.

The original song described the Professor and Mary-Ann as "and the rest"

So, you see it is about class?

I didn't know it at the time but apparently the professor was a sexy leading man with an awesome body. I just thought of him as an old nerd, but apparently I didn't run my hands up and down his body to find all the bumps he had to offer a woman.

Muscles.

I was talking about his Muscles.

Get your mind out of the gutter.