Hawaii 5-0: The Second Season Begins!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah, that really was anti-climactic. I totally thought Grunberg was going to shoot that guy. I'm glad he didn't because it would have been a downer to see Lori's friend go away for murder after all of that, but the scene did end kind of abruptly and awkwardly.

I'm blanking on what Danny took in the previous episode, unless you mean the apartment? I think Danny is kind of lost/unmoored right now because of his living situation, so he's looking for something, anything that could anchor him. Poor Danno!

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was referring to taking the victim's apartment in the Halloween episode.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Well, Top41 called it — Danno is now crashing at McGarrett's house! :lol:

I loved the ending with Lori and Max dressed up in their Grease costumes, and the slack-jawed stares of disappointment from Steve and Danny. Amusing use of Kamekona, too... loved the bit with the Spam-scented air freshener.

And it took me a while to register that Chris Bauer — Andy Bellefleur on True Blood — was the captain of the cable ship. I knew the face was familiar, but the voice wasn't as gravelly.

4. Top41

Haha--I loved seeing Danno staying at McGarrett's! Their fights are so funny. :lol: I'm with Steve though--I can't sleep with the TV on either. I thought it was pretty sweet that he bought Danny headphones--and gave them to him in a box with a bow on it! :adore: --and I thought Steve seemed a little disappointed when Danno said he was moving out. I bet Steve liked having the company, even though some of Danny's habits clearly annoyed him. Steve seems a little lonely, and he's always trying to hang out with Danno anyway. It must have been nice having him there.

The Max stuff cracked me up--at first, after the Camaro last week, I thought maybe he was jealous Danny asked to crash with Steve rather than him? But the movie night thing was pretty good, too.

I recognized Chris Bauer and was wondering if he'd turn out to be the killer just based on being the highest profile guest star in the episode. Glad that wasn't the case. Though I totally called the victim being in the witness protection program, I didn't see the twist of who the actual murderer was (and that it was an accident) coming. Good episode, and next week's looks intense!

5. cardinal biggles

Yeah, that was a really great twist. The victim might have made it if he hadn't been so paranoid about letting the doctor work with the rest of his surgical team. :(

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The writing is definitely coming together this season. Wonder if Boomer is upset with her reduced role? She could take the extra time to eat something.

7. cardinal biggles

Yeah, Grace Park does seem to be the odd person out this season. It kind of makes me wonder if the introduction of Lori was an intentional way to start phasing Kono out of the show. The original Five-O was always a four-person team, and that was back in the days of zero character development, zero story arcs, wrap it all up in 50 minutes. With most hour-long shows only having 40-42 minutes of actual show time these days, factor in mandatory Steve & Danno banter time, plus Lori is the new kid on the block, and now we've got to visit Max every week, someone's going to get short shrift here.

8. Top41

The Steve and Danno banter is totally mandatory. It's what distinguishes the show from all the other procedurals out there.

I hope Kono doesn't fall off the radar though. That really is disappointing.

9. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

We all know the only reason modern shows introduce new characters like Lori Weston is to kill them off during sweeps periods or season finales. :)

10. cardinal biggles

Not true; they introduced Jenna Kaye's character last season so they could
    reveal her as being in cahoots with Wo Fat at the beginning of this season.

11. Top41

Yeah, I think Lori is totally here to stay. As for Jenna, she's back next week... I'm curious to see what her deal really is. That reveal at the end of the season premiere was pretty cool and unexpected.

12. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the end of Lori is the designated special moment ratings stunt if TPTB feel they need one. It would have the impact that blowing up Kelly Hu seconds after teasing her as a love interest for Chin Ho lacked.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Tomorrow's episode looks mega badass.

14. sojourner

It looks like an episode of Magnum P.I. So yes, Mega badass.

15. Star Wolf

Well there was the "Mission MIA" episode when Magnum Ric, TC and Sergeant Major Higgins went to Vietnam to try to free the secret prisoners back before relations thawed. By the finale the Vietnamese did release secret prisoners.

16. sojourner

^Yep, that's the one. It was mega badass when it aired. Still not as good as the Ivan episode though.

17. Top41

Tonight's episode does look really good! I wonder if this is the last new one before the holidays? I'm excited Jenna Kaye is going to be back--looking forward to finding out what her deal is!

18. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I have to say, I kinda saw the outlines of Jenna's arc coming a mile away.

But I wasn't expecting what happened next.

I still like the show, but I kinda feel like this season is missing something that was there in season 1.

19. Star Wolf

Wait a minute a secret "rebel" army on the Korean DMZ. A Plain Jane 1975 Huey just flies over the border and orbits in North Korea long enough for some ancient SEALs and cops to hump 6 kilometers to a bunker and then pull off an ambush without Kim's People's Army noticing. This was one of those scenarios which called for a fictional nation, or even Vietnam again.

20. Top41

Yeah, it was more than a bit far-fetched, but I loved this episode! I kind of figured Jenna was betraying Steve in the hopes of getting her fiance back, but wow, did she get hers. I was really surprised when Wo Fat just shot her. I kinda figured she'd die, but didn't really think it would be so sudden and shocking.

I really felt bad for Steve--obviously because he got tortured, but you could also tell he was so crushed that Jenna had betrayed him. I thought the scene with them after it was clear they were both screwed played really well.

The rescue team coming together was fun--unrealistic that they'd encounter no real problems but fun nonetheless.

And Chin got engaged! :adore: Let's hope he and Malia have it better than Tony and Michelle did. ;) Lots of cute bromance stuff between Steve and Danny, too... Danny's concern before Steve left, and Steve's response to it, was totally sweet. And Danny finding Steve at the end... these two and their relationship really are the show for me. I love the banter and bickering, but I think it's really sweet that there's a genuine friendship there, too.