"Haven" (new SyFy series starring Emily Rose) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jul 9, 2010.

1. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: "Haven" (new SyFy series starring Emily Rose) - Discussion & Spoil

w.t.f!?:confused: did anyone get what was going on with that chick? what a weird ep.

plus...old age makeup FAIL.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I can't say I've watched very many SyFy Network TV series, but this last Haven has got to be among their worst scripted episodes for one-hour dramas EVER. Even worse than Painkiller Jane (never seen Flash Gordon to compare).

I thought they were going to go the succubus route, but instead they go... where did they go exactly?

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I haven't seen it yet, but presumably somebody developed the mental power to age others, either directly or as a side effect. That seems to be the consistent issue with Haven, which we will find led to the past "Troubles," and will lead to a recurrence of the "Troubles."

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This last episode was too wtf. What was going on? Why did she have kids and age the men?

And generally, what are the "Troubles" and what the heck is "the Colorado Kid" murder thing about? I'm going past curious to bored for lack of clarity and answers. Heck, I'm more interested in Duke and Nathan's fight than in Audrey.

I'm close to following McCoy's idea and just read about it after it's cancelled.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sadly, they're pretty good. Who's watching this crap? Are there really 2M people who enjoy being bored silly?

6. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

These eps air the following Monday up here. So was there anything in this ep at all about the underlying mythology?

7. Aragorn

None whatsoever. It was brought up in a conversation for about 20 seconds but didn't go anywhere and was quickly forgotten.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I think that's what I find dissatisfying about it. I'm fine with an episodic series, of course, but an episodic series that hints at being arc-based is just like waiting for the other shoe to drop. They should either be like Night Stalker, or give us more on what's up with the "Troubles."

Well, based on those ratings, it will at least have its chance to evolve. I want to like it. The setting is appealing, and most of the characters are interesting, Audrey being the exception. This episode had some nice bits with Nathan and Duke, particularly at the end; but the baby thing just defied any sort of internal or external logic.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven would be pretty good as a small town drama, I'd stick around to watch these people deal with regular crime, but they are just ass at imitating the early episodes of the X-Files.

10. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Too bad. Isn't this just a 12- or 13-episode run? We're nearly half way through and there's no significant movement on the show's self-professed raison d'etre. If the writing were better or the characters more engaging it might be worth the wait but as it is..

11. Aragorn

The advertisements still tout how Haven is based on The Colorado Kid, even though none of the characters are actually from story (except for the two reporters) and through five episodes they haven't tried to investigate the case of The Colorado Kid -- which in the novel is strictly about the unidentified body and has nothing to do with a mystery woman photographed at the scene.

It'd be like if there was a TV show called The Firm based on the Grisham novel, only about an intern who used to work at the firm but is now a coffee shop barista who for about five seconds per episode has questions about funny business going on at his former place of work.

12. Temis the Vorta

So, I take it this show hasn't magically improved w/n the last couple eps since I stopped watching?

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's entrance level fantasy for rubes. You know like how pot is a gateway drug to World of Warcraft.

14. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver

Fantastic! You stopped watching. I can't convince my girlfriend to stop watching it.

15. Temis the Vorta

Oh what the hey, maybe she thinks one of the guys is hot. :rommie: Or she likes the slashiness. There's actually quite a discussion about the slashy subtext between Duke and Nathan over on TWOP.

I noticed it too. Are the producers doing it intentionally? Why do Nathan and Duke have more chemistry with each other than either has with Audrey, who might as well be furniture while the two guys glower at each other like they're still getting over some apocalyptically messy breakup?

But the show is so bad that even that isn't enough to induce me to stay. Plus Nathan is boring and Duke is waaaay too fugly. The Petrelli brothers they ain't.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Too much Freak of the Weak and not enough movement on the "mystery".

17. Temis the Vorta

If the FOTW stories were a whole lot freakier (scary/sexy/crazy/funny) there might still be something worth watching.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Caught the baby episode. That was actually pretty fascinating toward the end.

19. Aragorn

It made NO SENSE at the end. And did nothing to explain any of it.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You have to know the big movement will be in the final episode, which will lead to a cliffhanger. Said cliffhanger will be resolved in the first episode with minimal movement on the back story of the Troubles of the Colorado Kid.

Think of the series The Dead Zone. They teased the novel's back story for years and never really got there.