Have you ever visited movie/tv locations?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom Hendricks, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, "The Killer Inside Me" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0954947/) filmed around here, and I recognized some of the settings. Also, and I'm not proud of this, but the basic training scenes from Pauly Shore's "In the Army Now" were filmed at Ft. Sill, which I used to live by, and many people I know were extras in the movie.
    Let's see, I've been on the set of the Swap Thing tv series(remember that?)at Universal Studios in Florida. They were also filming some other shows there at the time, can't remember what.
    And there was an independent horror movie called "Splinter" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEuTa6Grjgo ) that was filmed here in Oklahoma City. It actually turned out to be pretty good. Anyway, I took some pics of the creepy abandoned gas station just outside of town where most of the movie takes place:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

My father used to take me camping around the area Deliverance was filmed. I've been to a few others, but nothing special.

4. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There are several I know of in Sydney, when I use to live there. A few which I can think of at the moment.

The Matrix - near Central Station, there is a bridge. I remember the scene showed it raining, and Martin Plaza, where one of the fight scenes happened. (Need to watch the film again)

Superman Returns - Martin Plaza again. I also remember a cafe that I use to walk past daily a few years ago around the northern part of the city.

Farscape - as the series was shot in the Homebush Bay area of Sydney (where the Olympics were held). In the episode "Won't Get Fooled Again" - could see the Olympic stadium. Plus the cliffs also.

5. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Superman 2 (Niagara Falls) Superman 3. Cool Runnings. Waydowntown (I think I'm in the background of a shot on this one).... pretty much anything that ever had scenes filmed in Calgary. Superman 3 especially, I used to work downtown and I have been to many of the "Metropolis" locations more times than I can count.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Been to the Queen Mary, and they were shooting the X Files episode Triangle there on the day I was visiting, so I walked past Gillian Anderson.
    I've ridden past the house from Fresh Prince, and on various other streets regularly seen in movies and TV.

In Vienna I stayed at the parkhotel Schonnbrunn a few yers ago, which was in The Living Daylights, and some of the streets were in Peacemaker and XXX.

Obviously I've been to London, so plenty of Dr Who locations there (the steps at St Pauls where the Cybermen invade, for example)

Edinburgh castle's been in various movies, Stirling Castle was the location for the Colditz TV series... Alnwick is Hogwarts.

Various places in Manchester, where I go when Lesley has a university day, have been in things - notably the humanities building at the university was used as the lobby for the court in Life On Mars, and the town hall was seen in last year's Sherlock Holmes movie.

They sometimes film the TV soap Emmerdale in the town where I live now.

There are various others, but none of them, either the ones I've mentioned or ones I don't remember offhand, are ones I visited deliberately cos of their status as a location. In fact, usually I've only recognised them afterwards, when I see the show or movie.

7. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sea World Florida while Jaws 3 was being filmed.

The mall in Washington DC. I don't remember which films had scenes there, but I suspect they are numerous.

Norfolk Virginia's Ocean View Amusement Park where portions of Rollercoaster and Death of Ocean View Park were filmed. I was aquanited with a local actor that had small speaking parts in both films. Haven't thought of Rollercoaster for a while, will have to add it to my list of films to watch for at the used video store.

A little theme park on the eastern edge of Scottsdale Arizona that claimed it's main street was used for some westerns. Apparently the park was located on the edge of some land that couldn't be developed, as there was still an unobstructed view of open desert and distant mountains at on end of the "town".

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just innocently driving down a freeway north of LA once when HOLY SHIT off to my left, there was Star Trek! (Vasquez Rocks.) It's right next to a subdivision of McMansions now. Very odd.

In San Francisco, there are plenty of movie/TV locations. They painted cable car tracks on a street near my house so they could blow up a fake cable car for The Rock (can't use a real cable car line since they'd damage the tracks). I've often been to the path near the GG Bridge where Kim Hunter jumped into the bay in Vertigo and also been to San Juan Bautista, which doesn't have the famous tower. I've driven across the Bay Bridge in the correct direction (Dustin Hoffman was driving the wrong way on the upper deck in The Graduate).

And of course, I've been to the Presidio and Fort Baker, future home of Starfleet Academy and HQ respectively.

Ditto and ditto.

9. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Having been born and raised in L.A., over the years I've seen dozens and dozens of movies and T.V. shows being filmed - several in my neighborhood.

A few of the more interesting encounters was going downtown back in the seventies and running into a major production and seeing Kirk Douglas filming dialogue on the street.

Once in the 80's I was walking to lunch while at work and saw this California Highway Patrolman on his bike with no helmet, wearing headphones, and just kind of winding his way down the street making big curves with his bike. I thought, this CHP officer must be high. It was Eric Estrada in costume. They were shooting "Chips" around the corner.

I was walking to a grocery store near home one night and saw a film crew shooting a man and a woman in a car. i decided to alter my route to see if I could find out what they were filming. All of a sudden, the man and woman both looked up at me at the same time. A guy jumped out of the bushes and told me I was walking right into camera range and right into the background of the shot. I stopped and went the other way. The guy told me that the man an woman in the car were Jessica Lange and Sam Sheppard. Can't recall the name of the movie - some small indie movie, I think.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I accidentally wandered into Metropolis the night they were filming Kitty's car crashing into a restaurant. I went back after "Superman Returns" was released to get some "after and before" shots:
    http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/2010/01/returning-to-superman-returns.html

While on a US holiday, I encountered location filming for both "Home Alone 2" and "Scent of a Woman" (and Al Pacino walked right past us while my friend was videoing the scene - and somehow managed not to get Al on film).

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This reminds me of when I was in college (Washington University in St. Louis) and Quantum Leap was just getting started. Scott Bakula (who is from St. Louis IRL) said on some morning talk show that he wanted to do an episode where Sam leaps in as the worker who puts the last piece in the Arch. So like a dumbass, I start hanging around down by the Arch in the hopes that I'll get on the show. Pathetic, innit? :guffaw:

Oh, almost forgot: I watched some of the rehearsals for the filming of Spider-Man 3. Not the actual filming - when it came time to do that, they raised large screens up all over the place to block our view. :( But we could see the rehearsal. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know the context of the scene, but it was something taking place in Foley Square in NYC. There was a stage with lots of cops and politicians on it, Spidey was being lowered down onto the stage (upside down actually) and some blonde chick was giving him an award of some kind.

I stayed so long to watch this, that my (bald) head got sunburned. I'd forgotten my hat. :alienblush:

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm not going to lie, I did the Rocky Stairs thing. But, if it makes a difference, I at least went into the Art Museum after.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember one of the earliest L&O episodes had a scene in the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station in Brooklyn. I've been there (it's the closest station to the Transit Museum).

14. cpicard

cpicard Commander Red Shirt

Living in California all my life I have seen a number of places where TV and films where made.

I have walked several times over the Golden Gate Bridge.
    I have visited the Point Reyes lighthouse used in the 1980 film The Fog.
    I have visited Bodega Bay where The Birds took place. In fact my aunt worked on that film.
    I visited Griffith Observatory with the same aunt.
    I have walked on Endor at Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
    I staid in the hotel where True Lies and the pilot to Moonlighting where shot.
    As a state employee I have the terminator as my boss (until January 3 when Moonbeam takes over). He never visited my workplace. He was the worst boss ever.

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I live in Los Angeles. My entire city is a movie set.
    I've heard that the reason Vancouver is so popular for filming is that it looks like every big city in North America but has no distinctive features or landmarks. There’s no Vancouver Tower, Vancouver Bridge, Vancouver Fountain, Vancouver Arch, or Vancouver Sign that audiences would recognize and say, “That’s Vancouver!”

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not counting all the New York City locales, I once trekked upstate to visit Lyndhurst, the mansion they used for the first two DARK SHADOWS movies. And, yeah, I've been to real "Twin Peaks" several times, too. (In fact, one of my sisters was married there.)

And just one NYC incident: they filmed a scene from the Michael Keaton movie, THE PAPER, across the street from my old apartment in the Village. I spent a fun afternoon sitting on my stoop watching Marisa Tomei fume because Michael Keaton had stood her up . . . .

In theory, the diner they used in the original BLOB is not far from where I live now, but I have yet to check it ou.

17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Good friends of ours live in Baltimore, they use to live in Fells Point and right around the corner of the building used for Homicide: Life on the Street. When I found this out, I had to visit it immediately.

The Doorway
    [​IMG]

Sign on the building
    [​IMG]

18. Greg Cox

Hey, here's a question. Does anybody know a movie, filmed in the late nineties, that features a snowy, winter scene in Washington Square Park in NYC? I remember emerging from my old apartment one day to find it snowing in the middle of the summer! Turns out they were filming a winter scene one block away, but I never did find out what the movie was . . . .

I also stumbled onto Robert Redford filming a scene from QUIZ SHOW once, and I still remember the week they blew up the Flatiron Building for the GODZILLA remake. There were phony tanks and missile launchers everywhere. Confused tourists must have thought we were under martial law!

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I assume you mean Kim Novak?

20. Greg Cox

Incidentally, there's also a plaque at the diner table where Meg Ryan faked an orgasm in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.