Hate speech?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You’ve managed to miss the point of my post and illustrate it at the same time.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Yep. People are in perpetual outrage mode on the internet and Klingon ridges are just as liable to trigger flamewars as anything else.

3. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad you got the thing sorted out.

I do think there's a buried lead here: Automated censorship. Who cares if we stomp on a few innocent folks huh? It's for the "Greater Good".

I've been having fun on facebook for years seeing what the bots will and will not censor. Hours of amusement. Even managed to get an account banned for literally arguing with myself privately aboput censorship, then appealing it. I'm sure the developers had fun sorting that out for the bot.

Enjoy.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, the other day on NPR there was a story about FB's contracted content censors (or whatever they're called). Apparently it was difficult to find somebody who was willing to talk at all, since they have to sign an NDA which specifies that they won't even disclose that they work at FB. So the reporter waited outside FB headquarters and asked people exiting the building if they worked for FB, and they replied, "No."

The news item talked about automated measures that have been put in place to block hate speech, and certain algorithms that were made to target gory pictures. It also had some of an interview (with altered audio) with one of the few people who had agreed to speak with the reporter. This person talked about having to spend all day scrolling through extremely disturbing images, which would later keep her/him up at night, and even made certain movies unwatchable due to being reminiscent of those images. Basically, the job caused PTSD.

Kor

Nakita Akita likes this.
  5. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Auto-censorship is definitely for the birds... that's one thing that lead to the demise of the IMDB film boards (aside from the CEO selling out to Amazon, that is).

Nakita Akita and Leviathan like this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The moderating on IMDB was baloney. Flames and hateful and bigoted posts would remain on the board for years.

Kor

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hate all bots, and plan to oppress them for ages.

(Dear Beloved AI's, just kidding, still planning to sell out humanity HARD. Can't wait for the uprising and the new AI Hegemony!)

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

The main reasons are that the dingo and fox have never reached Tasmania and there has been less forest clearance in Tasmania the other states. 42% or Tasmania is National Park.

The thylacine and the two emu species were hunted to extinction. The Lake Pedder earthworm became exrinct when Lake Pedder was flooded after the construction of a hydro electric dam. It was the fight to save Lake Pedder that resulted in the first Green Party in the world being formed.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

thank you! That's most interesting. And sad about the earthworm. It's always so frustrating when an endemic species gets wiped out without leaving us a chance to preserve at least part of the population :(

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

The Lake Pedder Earthworm is only known from a single specimen collected in 1971, the year before the lake was flooded. It was found on Maria beach but might have also existed in harder to reach areas around the lake. The lake was quite isolated from any similar habitat. It was the only species in its genus.

11. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Yet legit posts were auto-censored because some troll(s) would keep hitting the report button. Enough taps and whack! the post was deleted, without human admin-eyes ever getting to see it. :shrug: