Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Zenkaiger episode 4-

Looks like Vroom did the most sensible thing when it comes to using the GearTLinger. Vroon subverted the running gag with the Geartlinger by being the first person to ask how it actually works

I can't believe they actually referenced the groin attack maneuver from Dairanger.

Since Vroon is a Boukenger homage, there's one particular scene I want to see him recreate. Stomping on a horde of regular-sized footsoldiers

I got Johnny Five/Short Circuit vibes when Vroom was in the library. Input! More Input!

It was pretty funny to see Vroom squints because Gaon took his glasses

The boxing bride was portrayed by Juria Nagano, an actress-karateka who previously portrayed Akiba Blue's rival in Akibaranger.

It's a mini Akibaranger reunion because Tasaki was the main director and now directing today's episode.

https://twitter.com/juria210/status/1375979800246902784?s=20

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

This week Toei's YouTube channel presents the first episode of my personal favorite Kamen Rider series, Kamen Rider Black:

Samurai8472 likes this.
  3. Samurai8472

^Today also marks the 50th anniversary of Kamen Rider!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a preview of episode 6 of Dino Fury has been released

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's tomorrow, April 3. Although I guess it's already tomorrow in Japan.

5. Samurai8472

And in some big news

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/fuuto_en

The manga for Kamen Rider Double (Fuuto Detectives) is getting an anime

Kamen Rider Black is getting a new series/remake!

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/blacksun_en

Comment from the director

I hope it doesn't go too far in the other direction like Shin or Amazons

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  6. Christopher

That's cool. Double/W is one of my favorite series, and I liked the "half-boiled" detective aspect, the relationship between Shotaro and his city, Fuuto.

We've never had a full-fledged Kamen Rider anime before, to the best of my knowledge. There was a super-deformed comedy special once based on the Showa Riders, and some anime shorts spun off of Den-O and some of the later ones, but never a full series with non-chibi characters. I hope it brings back the original actors to do the voices. And I hope Akiko is closer to her fun, lively series characterization than the maudlin, constantly jealous wife she became in the sequel movies.

I take it this is not a regular installment (i.e. not the next series after Saber), but a more adult "spinoff" series like Amazons?

I gather there's also an anniversary movie in the works, but there are no specifics yet (i.e. whether it's in the vein of a crossover movie like the Generations series, a remake like The First and The Next, or something else).

7. Samurai8472

And just announced this morning......

Just revealed at the 50th anniversary press conference, Hideaki Anno is writing and directing Shin Kamen Rider, a movie that's gonna be released in 2023.

Anno did Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman (coming later this year) and they both are pretty subversive and interesting takes on the franchises.

Announcement trailer

Poster

[​IMG]

Looks like it could be a noir take on the origin of Kamen rider the first with politics(daishocker) mixed in

His Godzilla movie focused on how ineffective Japanese emergency response is and how paper pushing stifles progress)

8. Kai "the spy"

What about Shinji Higuchi?

9. Christopher

Aha, and it's the same katakana "Shin" as in those movies (シン), basically meaning "new," rather than the kanji 真 in 1993's Shin Kamen Rider: Prologue, which meant "true." Still, it's a bit confusing.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

We got some really exciting announcements. I liked W a lot, even though it completely fell apart around episode 30 with a lot of filler and the ruining of my favorite member of the evil family (no spoilers, but I was so disappointed by what happened to a certain character that it kind of ruined part of the show for me). I'm definitely up for more adventures, though, and maybe if it does well we can get more anime projects starring older Riders.

Kamen Rider Black Sun is interesting. Amazons was edgelord garbage (freaking cannibalism as a main plot point? really?), so hopefully this is more "adult" in the mature way, and not in the edge lord "Xtreme" way. I'll probably have to check out more of KR Black now, which is hard because it is a pretty boring, fairly standard showa era Rider from what I've gotten through before (maybe I'll just find some essential episodes to give myself a better taste of the show, without struggling through so many boring episodes).

shin Kamen Rider could go either way. I liked Shin Godzilla a good deal, but I don't know how the current "shin" style will work outside of it. what I end up thinking about Shin Ultraman will probably influence my interest in Shin Kamen Rider, until then I'm definitely interested, but cautious.

11. Christopher

Not sure I want another reboot of Ichigou. We already had that in 2005. Although I am curious to see what Anno will do with it.

With these new announcements, the Kamen Rider Wiki has reorganized its drop-down menu. The category that used to be "Films/Extras" has been split between "Standalone" (the three '90s movies, the super-deformed anime, the Kamen Rider G special, and Fuuto PI) and "Reboots" (The First/The Next, Amazons, Black Sun, and Shin). I guess that makes sense now that they've doubled the number of reboot continuities in one go.

12. Samurai8472

Oh I forgot Shin Godzilla was a two director movie.

Power rangers Dino fury episode 6

Amelias first focus episode. Not too terrible.

Amelia did get a badass moment by taking out Boomtower in the base and teleporting him out.

13. Christopher

I'd say it's kind of her second, as she was pretty much the main viewpoint character in episode 1.

I'm not a fan of Amelia's superstitious personality, so I wasn't too fond of this one. Then I recognized the Megazord fight scene and the really fun Rube Goldberg chain reaction that gave them the edge over the monster, and I remembered that Ryusoulger's Asuna had a recurring trait of good luck, doing klutzy things that miraculously turned out well. So clearly this episode was written with an eye toward setting up that footage.

Sigh... I miss Asuna. Ichika Osaki was such a terrific comic (and dramatic) actress. Hunter Deno is a much blander performer, though a really nice-looking one.

I don't think there was any ground-level Ryusoulger fight footage in this one. I thought parts of the fight in the industrial area might have been, but they featured Boomtower along with the volcano monster, whereas the source episode (#10) featured Wiseru instead of Tankjoh (who had died four episodes earlier and hadn't been resurrected yet).

Incidentally, this is the Power Rangers directorial debut of Michael Hurst, who was Iolaus in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and voiced a few monsters in Ninja Storm and SPD. He'll also be directing the next three episodes and episodes 19-21, so sayeth the Wiki.

14. Samurai8472

More big news with Kamen Rider!

Kamen Rider Zero-One is being released domestically by Shout! Factory. The announcement came during the Team Kamen Rider stream with Shout! Factory to kick off the beginning of North America’s week-long celebration of the 50th anniversary of Kamen Rider.

https://news.tokunation.com/2021/04...y-shout-factory-for-dvd-blu-ray-release-71082

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Aruto-isms

Also Kamen Rider Ryuuki will be streaming on TokuSHOUTsu

https://news.tokunation.com/2021/04/03/kamen-rider-ryuuki-to-stream-on-tokushoutsu-71079

And Kamen Rider Double episode 1 just landed on Tokushoutsu channel

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Kai "the spy" likes this.
  15. Kai "the spy"

Just watching the W episode (the two uploads this weekends are meant to coincide with the announcements, I take it).
    [​IMG]
    That's the thickest copy of The Long Goodbye I've ever seen.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Samurai8472 likes this.
  16. Samurai8472

17. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Commodore Commodore

Michael Hurst was great as Iolaus in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.
    I'm glad he's still around in the acting business.

18. Samurai8472

Kamen Rider Saber episode 29

This week: lots of angst and more infiltration, more betrayal, more backstabbing, only more literal on that last one.

Sophia is finally rescued! Oh sorry she's in another castle ;)

Durandal can certainly fight. Rintaro FINALLY realizes that Master Logos is bad.

Zenkaiger episode 5

This was bonkers. It was wackiness from start to finish. The MotW even managed to stop the stock footage.

It was pretty adorable that the kikainoids sleep on the floor next to Kaito

So, I guess the intro is changing as the series goes deeper into the plot with Kaito looking around the store. This might explain why there was a split second of nobody in last week's episode.

A human villain is also coming soon. His name is Stacey and he'll be using purple Kikai gears that summon avatars of past rangers and mecha

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  19. Christopher

Saber 29: Nice to see Rintarou finally come to his senses and Sophia finally get out of wherever the heck she's been, though it came at a cost to Touma. Heck, this is the first time in months we've seen Sophia standing up. I was worried something had happened to the actress, but if she was sick or something, she seems to be better now.

That was a nice touch when a despairing Rintarou said "Tear down the whole organization!" -- Touma asked "Are you serious?" and Rintarou moaned, "Of course I'm not serious!" He knew he was just speaking in anger and still cared about the organization; he just wanted it reformed, not destroyed.

The Swordsmen acted pretty helpless to deal with Durandal's teleportation ability, but we were shown pretty clearly that he has to separate and reconnect his weapon in order to trigger it, so they should've caught onto that and attacked him at that moment, to keep him from completing the gesture. Kamen Rider has generally been pretty good at avoiding the implausibility of an adversary just standing there waiting while a fighter completed a transformation or weapon activation or whatever. The Showa Riders tended to jump up somewhere high so they'd have a free moment to do their henshin poses, and the majority of the Heisei Riders, at least since Blade, have had energy fields or constructs around them that repelled attacks (or sometimes even inflicted attacks by themselves) until the henshin was complete. But I don't think Saber has that -- they just have the Swordsmen stand there holding up the books while they recite their long speeches, and so on.

Zenkaiger 5: This is a really fun and goofy show, in contrast to how grim and angsty Saber has gotten. Lots of really zany action with the sushi monster, with the undercurrent of Kaitou trying to find his parents and Zyuran bonding with him in support.

Zyuran is starting to remind me a bit of Momotaros from Kamen Rider Den-O, what with his attitude and humor as well as his red color scheme and bonding with the human hero. He's not as much of a hothead by a long shot, though -- more mature, as they often point out. Indeed, I was thinking that the whole thing has a Den-O feel, with a single human lead accumulating a whole gaggle of eccentric, multicolored inhuman partners. The colors even match, except for Magine being pink instead of purple.

I was a bit disappointed that the junior three members' big plan after all that elaborate rice preparation and setup was just "grab him!" I was hoping for a more elaborate restaurant routine or something.

Also, while the luck benefit of the Kyuranger gear was obvious, there didn't seem to be any particular point to using the Ryusoulger gear to wreck the sushi conveyor. If they wanted a sword-based team, then Shinkenger would've been a better fit, since ShinkenGold was a sushi vendor.

20. Samurai8472

I know Kamen Rider and Sentai don't film at the same time but they should have brought over Genta/Master Logos for a quick cameo while in Master Logos attire

This episode also didn't feature any greenscreen space but the classic quarry