Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Thousers other achievements include forging the one ring

[​IMG]

;)

Three Keys for the Humagear under the sky,
    Seven for the Aims in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Business where the Shadows lie.
    One Key to rule them all, One Key to find them,
    One Key to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Business where the Shadows lie.

2. Samurai8472

Ryuusoulger episode 40

Odd that this year there's no customary new years greeting from the sentai team. We had one with Zero-One though.

All through the episode I kept wondering "Where the heck is Ui?" It's been 3 episodes/A month since we last saw her. She's still credited in the Op.

With about 8 episodes left I'm not getting my hopes up for her to get an arc and actually be useful to the show. That's a shame too. I thought they would do something with her.

After 40 episodes Bamba finally accepts team members and comrades to care for.

It's nice we got everyone in the cockpit finally

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ryusoulger 40: Okay, but nothing exceptional. It's your standard "overcome fear by the power of comradeship" plot -- but really, when has a problem in Sentai not been solved by the power of comradeship? Plus it's very sexist and out of character that Asuna's fear is getting fat. She's never cared about that before, and by now she really should have more personality traits to draw on. She started out as a cool, fun character, but not much has been done with her lately.

Also, it seems a waste to set up the idea that the cursed mirror shows people how they'll die, but not actually do anything with it. I was expecting it to foreshadow some upcoming story arc, with the Ryusoulgers seeing their doom when they laughingly looked into the mirror at the end -- or at least to do a joke about Kureon seeing his entirely predictable death at the hands of the Ryusoulgers. (Although he's the kind of comedy villain who has a pretty good chance of being redeemed at the end, or at least surviving long enough to get killed in the post-series DVD movie or VS movie.) Although it was cute having Asuna encourage Bamba to dance just before they cut to the ending dance.

Anyway, the climax was shot in a very familiar mall-like location that Super Sentai and Kamen Rider have been using for decades, going back at least as far as the first episode of Bioman in 1984. I've been curious what it was, and as it happened, I noticed the name "NOVA HALL" on a building behind Kureon at one point, and that let me look it up and track down where it is. It's the Tsukuba Center Square in Tsukuba Science City, 30-some miles northeast of Tokyo. It's not far from the JAXA Tsukuba Space Center, which was featured in Kamen Rider Fourze. There are some photos and a fan/tourist video of the square here: http://neokerberos.free.fr/tsukubacenter.htm

4. Samurai8472

Dai Satan's not doing that well after the super sentai VS mini series. He's now able to be taken down by just one team. I guess they're saving the budget for the finale/winding down

[​IMG]

Actually they do call this minusaur the Satan Minusaur

https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Satan_Minosaur

[​IMG]

Also this showed up on twitter yesterday. Blast from the past. One of Zyuranger's very first photoshoots

https://twitter.com/AsteriskOff/status/1215759310011150339

And the finished product in the history books

[​IMG]

5. Christopher

Oh, I thought the Minusaur looked familiar. Maybe it can be justified since it came from Melto's nightmare. Maybe young Melto was aware of the legend of Ultimate Dai-Satan and envisioned it as the ultimate Minusaur.

Hmm... Since the Satan Minusaur was created from Melto's fear, I guess that means the true form of this Minusaur was just the fog.

6. Samurai8472

Kiramager's first press conference will be streamed on Toei's official youtube channel tonight around 10 pm eastern time

https://twitter.com/TOEI_PR/status/1217377803538010112

It's region locked but someone will likely have a facebook version of the stream.

It's interesting that it's tonight and not closer to January 31 1st like normal.

Not region locked

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  7. Samurai8472

Our team minus red during the trailer

[​IMG]

Kiramazin!

[​IMG]

Five piece combination!

[​IMG]

Yellow is a gamer.
    Green is a track and field star.
    Blue is a movie actor.
    Pink is a doctor.
    Red is a student.

Plot summary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A real mouth definitely makes the monster generals more creepier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yuichi Nakamura is voicing a villain this time. He was Stag Beet J in Go-busters

Tomokazu Sugita is the changer voice. He was in Kiva as Kivat.

8. Christopher

Hmm, another season with matching team jackets when unmorphed. For a while, from about Gaoranger onward, they did that pretty much every season, even with the civilian teams. Then they dropped it for four seasons from Kyoryuger through Zyuohger. But since then, they've had team uniforms every season except Ryusoulger -- and I guess only halfway in LvP, since the Lupinrangers only wore matching uniforms when in phantom thief mode, not constantly.

9. Samurai8472

[​IMG]

Kenichi Suzumura AKA Ryuutaro from Kamen Rider Den-O is voicing Red's mecha

KirameiPink used to play Kanon in Kamen Rider Ghost

[​IMG]

Villain's look cool. The foot soldiers not so much

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foot soldiers not so much

[​IMG]

Cast info. Highlighted part is their character name's

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry to change the topic, but I've been wondering, what exactly is the difference between the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers comic, and the Go Go Power Rangers comic? I thought I read when it started that Go Go was supposed to be a prequel to MMPR, but now they seem to be dealing with the same stories.

11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Initially the MMPR comic was after Tommy joined and Go Go early days before Tommy. Then Go Go became MMPR after Tommy and MMPR became a new non MMPR team (which was silly, Go Go Power Rangers as the generic title should have been the one to shift to a new team), then I stopped reading.

Samurai8472 likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, I see now. Thanks for the answer.

13. Samurai8472

Kamen Rider Zero-One episode 18

So with this new phase we not only have humagear to worry about but regular humans who turn into Magear aswell

We also have the new mysterious woman who supplies the raidraiser belt

Since Hiden Intelligence lost the competition the buyout continues.

This is the first time Hiden Intelligence successfully backed up a Humagear. I know it's for story reasons, but it'd be really good if they explained why this was never a thing before.

Gai is in his forties? Seems like they wanted someone who's been involved in the timeline for awhile but cast a young actor

Ryuusoulger episode 41

Nice to see that everyone has gotten accustomed to Wiseru disguise schtick.

Miu from Fourze is guest starring this week to guide us through the usual movie studio episode.

Interesting twist with Kureon turning sides and bringing Wiseru's along with him, all in an attempt to get Wiseru's heart back.

The enemy of the enemy is my friend after all. Sure, they have to go back to fighting after, but getting rid of Pricious would fix things.

Also Ui's absence was explained on the actress's blog. She is very sick and is/was hospitalized. That's too bad.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  14. Christopher

A pretty good one. I liked the resolution of the ikebana plot, with the Humagear and human arrangers finding common ground. And the ikebana school was named Tachibana, a name frequently used in Kamen Rider. Toubee Tachibana was the mentor of the first several Kamen Riders in the '70s, so later productions often nod to the name. The family that supported Kamen Rider Hibiki was the Tachibanas (and they worked for an organization called Takeshi, after Kamen Rider One's given name), and Kamen Rider Garren in Blade was named Tachibana.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that Yua/Valkyrie tends to get sidelined compared to the male Riders. Here we finally got that foreshadowed confrontation between Valkyrie and Vulcan, and she is impressive at first, but then she's beaten, and then she steps aside (literally) for the bigger marquee fight between Vulcan and Thouser. Her submissiveness to Amatsu holds her back too.

I think it was always meant to be best of five, so it'll continue until someone wins three rounds.

Izu said they were able to restore her backup because she hadn't been hacked by MetsuboJinrai. I think it was mentioned way back in episode 2 or 3 that a corrupted Humagear couldn't be restored.

We'll probably get flashbacks to his time with Aruto's grandfather.

Really nice character work with Kureon and his long night of the soul. I figured he'd do a face-turn eventually, but I like it that they aren't making it simple -- he's really wrestling with it. One thing I didn't expect was that he'd try to bring Wiseru with him.

Man, Bamba really rocked the Man in Black look.

Nice to see her again. I'm surprised they didn't contrive to have her character say "Oops!" at some point.

Oh, no.

15. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Timeframe, mostly. Originally, Go Go was the pre-Green Ranger team, while MMPR was post Green. After the Shattered Grid crossover, Go Go has moved into the period around the creation of the White Ranger, while MMPR picks up some time later when White is already in action. Right now they're doing kind of mirrored stories, where we're seeing in Go Go the situations that led to the status quo in MMPR, where the consequences are playing out.

16. Samurai8472

Backtracking on Ui's actress situation

So back to square one. Sorry everyone.

17. Samurai8472

Kiramager Press Conference trailer subbed

[​IMG]

Easter Egg. KirameiGreen is sponsored by SRTC the company behind the gear for 2007 sentai Gekiranger

[​IMG]

*Sigh* Another Red ranger with a catchphrase. This is likely due to Naruhisa Arakawa the series writer who also wrote Kyuranger and Lucky's catchphrase "Yosha Lucky!"

Jyuru's got the enthusiasm of Aruto from Zero-One which led to this interesting photo.

[​IMG]

Now there's two of them

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  18. Christopher

Hmm... The emphasis on beauty as the thing the Kiramagers are fighting to protect seems a little shallow, though I guess it's ameliorated slightly by having the Red be an "ordinary" kid deemed worthy of joining this team of gorgeous celebrities.

Anyway, a lot of familiar elements. The everyday guy recruited as Red for an existing team is one we've seen before in Timeranger and Zyuohger, and Red being the last one selected echoes Gaoranger. (It's also sort of an inversion of Jetman, where Red was a professional soldier selected for the team and the other four were random people empowered by accident.) Red being a youth with the gift of Imagination! is very ToQger. And the mecha remind me very much of Go-Onger, which is not a plus.

Still, Arakawa does terrific character writing, so hopefully the show will transcend the unoriginal elements in the concept.

No, Arakawa did Abaranger, Dekaranger, Gokaiger, and Strongest Battle (and Kamen Rider Kuuga, most of the Gavan/Space Squad movies, and Akibaranger). Nobuhiro Mouri was Kyuranger's head writer.

Besides, lots of Red Rangers have catchphrases, like GokaiRed's "Let's make this showy" or AkaNinger's "I'm on fire."

19. Samurai8472

The princess is like a throwback to older sentai

[​IMG]

Her backstory is also very Showa Era Sentai.

"My home planet/dimension was destroyed thanks to the villains and I now came here and give you powers to fight them, cause you 5 have the match to the biologic gimmick to the powers"

This could be seen as a modern take on Turboranger.

"It's car magic!"

20. Christopher

I have a hard time getting past the fact that the depicted character's name was Colon.

Anyway, I think the Crystalian king and princess remind me more of the Shadow Line designs from ToQger, but this time based on light rather than darkness.

That was Carranger.