News Green Lantern-Inspired Series in Works at HBO Max, From Greg Berlanti

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

upload_2020-1-16_20-39-41.png

Ovation likes this.
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you. Certain people insist on forcinh the Diggle character into the GL world, which makes no sense. Green Lantern has its own set of characters, a rich legacy and a freaking universe as its canvas. Flicking CW-DC characters into this new series serves no creative purpose at all.

Most of the CW-DC shows to be sure.

...and Hal Jordan has to finally receive a proper adaptation to film, since we know what happened the last time...

3. Serveaux

The major fault of the Green Lantern script was leaning too heavily on the source material and treating it too reverently. For one thing the mythology of Hal Jordan, whom I love, doesn't lend itself to a particularly compelling character arc. Johns tried, decades after the fact, to instill that into him with an expanded backstory but backstory is the least compelling, clumsiest sort of motivation for a movie character. In the movie it worked out as "This guy is a charming, talented fuck-up, now let's go back and explain the trauma that causes him to make these really simple fuck-ups that render him less than grown-up. And then let's make him a late turning point out of him deciding to grow up."

You know, there are movies where that's worked, I guess. Light romantic comedies.

You have to rethink Jordan or at least find an actor who can get some juice out of him. Love Ryan Reynolds, sort of, but they needed Robert Downey to sell a half-baked script.*

And then they tried to do a literal recreation of the intergalactic milieu from the comics - Oa, the Corps, etc - that maybe James Cameron could have pulled off. It certainly required resources and an artistic vision that the film's creators didn't have.

BTW, I liked the movie a lot anyway.

There are facets to the comics that they could productively foreground in a series. Make the Guardians into characters - there are a few, in the comics - instead of the otherworldly deities that they were in the first comics (the version which the movie seemed to have drawn most heavily on) even if it makes them a little harder to portray as alien and omniscient.

I mean, the main thing that we've learned about the Guardians, over and over and over is:

They're arrogant dicks.

I'm Hal Jordan and all of a sudden I'm fighting an invasion of cyborg zebras from the end of time, the first thing I do is ring up Oa and demand "Okay, what have you blue fucks done now? What did you decide not to tell us this time? Because we both know you either created the MegaZebras or you pissed off their ancestors big time!"

*Which he did, in Iron Man.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Avalon and Ovation like this.
  4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It served as BOTH (IMO).

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That seems unlikely. I assume the new show will create its own, more TV-budget-friendly designs for Oa rather than using the same ones from the movie.

6. Noname Given

Sheesh - They provided a glimpse of Oa using existing footage to TEASE provide an Easter Egg to some viewers that a Berlanti run Greeen Lantern series is coming. Of course they'll do their own set design/have a smaller budget - BUT that doesn't negate the fact that's what they USED the existing footage for.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they might use the movie as best they can for long range exterior/"establishing" scenes, but the new material will most likely be some kind of small , cheaper set, like some kind of "office".

I assume Berlanti has a lot easier access to the movie stuff than any other property? ANd how it was done... can they throw it into new TV productions, to save some money?

For me, the movie's best stuff was the Oa scenes...they felt REALLY cosmic and epic.

It was the Earth stuff that I feel they failed big time.

Hmm... do you think they might reverse some things and have Jessica be the "veteran", despite being younger than Diggle?

What would be cool is if she mentors Diggle on the powers, but Diggle mentors her on the hero stuff...(If he is even there).

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jessica Cruz is from the Prime Earth.

9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we know that yet? (And is that DC TV Earth Prime, or comic Earth Prime?)

10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. She initially had an Earth-3 ring, but she's local.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, it isn't. Some online pundits mistakenly assumed it was a teaser for the upcoming series (which is way too early in development to have any such teaser material) because they didn't remember the GL movie it was actually taken from.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/...rths-green-lantern-movie-cameo-ryan-reynolds/
    It was just a wink and a nod to Greg Berlanti's first DC project, in the same vein as Part 1's nods to the Keaton and West Batmen.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as it has this scene I'll be happy
    [​IMG]

Serveaux likes this.
  13. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to see Hal and I want to see John Stewart, and yes, I want him to be Diggle. It would be a disappointment if that's not so. There are so many GLs out there that can be fun, but I think the two big ones should be at the center of the show

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  14. Serveaux

There's no question that the shots from the GL movie were included in order to tease the fact that we'll be seeing the Corps again soon enough. ;)

The landscapes on Oa were kind of video-game "cosmic," I suppose, but there was no one there except Sinestro and Jordan. If you didn't know who the other characters were, the filmmakers contributed nothing but CG puppets with generic characterizations that a few good actors labored to give vocal expression to.

15. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

They didn't have a problem with a guy just because he was left handed.

16. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

IMO, if there's a John Stewart they should draw from the source material.

17. Noname Given

Karl!!!! ;)

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Comics.

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think an "HBO" TV budget can do a hell of a better job. One of the poorer points of the movie was the design of OA. It looked bleak and depressing--OA should look brighter and more hopeful. One of the great elements of the Green Lantern Corps is the sense of friendship and camaraderie we see--the other is that OA looks like a bright and hopeful technological future. This shouldn't be difficult to create.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Thinking about it - if it is HBO, we can go place we could not in other series:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]