Gotham - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 11, 2014.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"this Dent"? Dent has always been Two-Face.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I liked that ending. That was a very nice ending.

In the traditional comics story, Boss Maroni throws acid into Dent's face during the former's trial, scarring him and (depending on the version) either driving him mad or bringing out the madness/split personality that was already lurking within. Clearly Gotham is going in the latter direction, hinting that Harvey already has a very strong dark side. Since they already have Maroni as a semi-regular character, he might well be involved in Two-Face's origin here.

I'm afraid I didn't like the actor playing Dent at all, and the writing is far too broad and obvious, a common problem with this show. Fortunately it was a small part of the episode. The Bruce-Selina stuff was interesting -- at least they finally found something to do with Selina rather than just having her slink and pose around for a moment or two. And the story about Hargrove was kind of interesting -- although it's contrived as hell that the mayor alters his whole rehabilitative policy and transfers hundreds of inmates to Arkham based on two sentences of criticism from Jim Gordon.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems Barbara is doing her own undercover investigation.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last time Jim Gordon was unhappy with the Mayor, dozens of people standing next to or near to the mayor died in a hail of bullets.

I'm not saying that he's scared of Jim, just attuned to the Dectective's mood.

One possible reason that Selina might not be the orphan she thinks that she is.

Not that there's any reason for Gotham to make such a contrived Lucasonian play, but it's available to them if they want it.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm amazed at how much I like this show. It makes me ask, Bat-who?

And the Penguin is the new Skylar in terms of breakout baddie.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Skylar? Skylar White? The wife from Breaking Bad?

(Sylar is the character from heroes you are thinking of. :) )

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was a great comparison. Every time he is on the screen the show gets better.

I liked this episode but the stuff with the mob and Fish is just not all that interesting to me. The best parts of this episode was the study with Bruce/Salina/Alfred and Penguin. As for Harvey, I liked his scenes. I kind of wish the darker side was a little more subtle (I liked Nolan's Harvey for that reason) but he was cool for the little we got to see him

As for that ending, whatever. It seemed like they were hinting that was going to happen for a few episodes.

I decided to get back into the show last week and we're already at the fall finale. Makes me think I missed some episodes along the way.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Another reason to not like the awfully written Barbara character though we can't get rid of her until Barbara Jr aka Batgirl is born I presume (hate kids being named after their parents). The Bruce/Selina moments were alot of fun though and nice to see the start of their future relationship.

9. Christopher

Actually, in the post-Crisis comics (where Barbara made her debut as a main-continuity character after having previously been introduced in an alternate-universe story), Barbara Kean was the mother of Jim's son, James Jr. Later on, Barbara "Batgirl" Gordon was retconned to be Jim's niece, whom he and his second wife Sarah Essen adopted -- although she was subsequently retconned back to be his biological daughter from an affair in his youth.

10. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I blinked my eyes during the last scene and didn't get a good look at the "other woman." Was this someone we should recognize or a new face?

11. Christopher

^It was Renee Montoya, Barbara's old flame (and Gordon's new crimefighting ally, awkwardly enough).

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And whom, in the original comics, was involved with Kate Kane, a.k.a. Batwoman . . . .

Hmm. In the comics, Harvey Dent becomes obsessed with Renee and basically starts stalking her, despite the fact that that she's gay. I wonder if they'll pick up on that storyline on the TV show, now that they have Renee and Harvey working together?

That could be interesting.

13. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks!

14. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I don't think it was just Gordon's comments. The mayor was taking heat because the guy had escaped during a transfer (which is why he was riding GCPD's collective arse over catching).

Plus it wouldn't suprise me if the mayor was slipped a few dollars by those with vested interests in the Arkham. They need to start seeing a return for their investment and getting the tax payer cough up for housing the criminally insame in Arkham because it wouldn't have been Gordon's idea of place to send them.

15. Christopher

^Sure, you can fill in the blanks with postgame rationalizations, but within the story itself, it plays as if Gordon's comments alone led to the change in policy.

By the way, did anyone else notice that in the scene where Bruce was asking Selina about her family and she was eating a piece of bread, it was a different piece of bread every time they cut back to her? Like, at one point it's a long, thin baguette sort of thing, and then in the next shot it's more disk-shaped and smooth-crusted. Very distracting. I would've thought it was an intentional bit of absurdist comedy if the scene hadn't been played so seriously.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

k.

:p

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this one. I kind of had to laugh when they had Harvey's face have in shadow during his confrontation with Lovecraft. I know it's kind of obvious, but I always get a kick out of it when they do stuff like that.
    I really enjoyed the stuff with Bruce and Selina.
    The main storyline with the bombers was probably the least interesting thing in the episode, at least until they reveal Fish's involvement, that did make it a little more interesting.
    The end scene was pretty surprising for me.
    I have to admit, I would be kind of interesting to see how the traditional Batman stories would play out in this would. The relationships between Bruce and Selina, and Gordon and Penguin would be especially interesting to see once they are in their regular Batman roles.

18. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

A fine fall final there. Worst assassins ever however. Good to see Bruce played as a kid out of his depth and not suddenly picking up skills to combat his attackers. Alfred was spot on awesome and even Gordon had a little personality this week.

19. Christopher

This week's "Lovecraft" was really good. Some terrific writing. Like when a scene starts with Falcone brutally gunning down a lieutenant in front of his other lieutenants and then says, "Let me give you some context." :lol: And when Alfred is reunited with Bruce: "If anything had happened to you... Who employs butlers these days?"

Alfred was pretty awesome throughout this. Being a badass soldier is pretty much par for the course for Alfred in modern portrayals, but I love the way he totally played Fish Mooney by flirting with her.

Pretty fun stuff with Bruce and Selina too. Aww -- Bruce's first rooftop chase! Oh, and his first kiss, while we're at it. And we see where Bruce developed his fondness for throwing things at criminals.

Ivy Pepper still doesn't work very well, though. The actress just wasn't up to conveying the character's "scary" instability.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

That was probably a reference to when Al Capone killed on of his lieutenants with a baseball bat during a dinner.