Gotham - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A balloon, really? This show is really lucky I don't have much better to do with my Monday nights. The Football game hasn't even started.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Now that was an unintentionally funny intro with the guy tied to a balloon. I can imagine frustrated fans tuning out after that.

And Professor Pyg. Yay.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, that red-lines how much I'm willing to take/bend as far as the "camp"/"funny"/"comic book physics" is concerned.

Alfred and Lil Bruce fencing is making up for it as is the awesome little Cat(girl) actress.

4. Alidar Jarok

I think the fact that it's a presumed murder is what bothers me the most. The kid trapped in a balloon about a year and a half ago (I think it was a hoax) made international news. How can they lose track of them?

At least this second one is a bit better because it's at night.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that the name "lieutenant Cranston" is an homage to Bryan Cranston having played Jim Gordon in Batman: Year One.

6. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Or to Lamont Cranston, one of The Shadow's many identities.

7. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Whoa! I didn't expect Oswald to reveal himself to Jim at the end like that. Intriguing. I liked the balloons. It's the Batman universe. Villains are larger than life. It's not Law and Order.

Selina rules.

8. Trekker4747

Yeah, I just don't think the series has quite earned the leeway yet to get away with such "comic book physics." I'll grant them a measure of over-the-top but at the same time the series seems to want to be a touch grounded, noir, and sinister showing this foundation of corruption and everyone having ulterior motives.

But our last two "Villains of the Week" have been some what over-the-top in their M.O.s. At least this week the villain in his personal behavior, mannerisms and such was a bit grounded but the balloon thing was a LOT to accept so soon.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  9. Dorian Thompson

Fair enough, but I enjoy this cast so much that I can't help but adore it. Even the Barbara actress was good this week.

Robin Taylor, though, he wows me every single week. He's almost sympathetic. Almost. Killing a cook for his shoes cedes the moral highground. ;) Watching his ascent is going to be mesmerizing. :evil:

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Lamont" and "Cranston" were both used in tonight's episode, so I think it's the latter.

When Lamont was disguised as the hot dog vendor, that costume was a definite homage to the Shadow.

Bruce being influenced by the Balloonman at a young age was a nice tip-of-the-hat to the actual pulp character of the Shadow, since his stories "inspired" Bob Kane and Bill Finger so much during Batman's formative years.

Anyone catch any other Shadow Easter eggs in the episode?

11. Trekker4747

Yeah, Penguin continues to progress in an intriguing way.

12. Dorian Thompson

Penguin's arc is the main storyline as I see it. Everything else falls under that umbrella story--the war between Mooney and Falcone, the police corruption, Jim's struggle to stay on the side of the angels...it all fits. Gotta wonder if Jim will try to elicit his help. Jim doesn't know Oswald's a petty little murderer. It could wreak havoc on his life if he misplaces his trust.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Opposite Ben McKenzie as Batman!

The physics weren't that exaggerated. Maybe just off by a factor of three or four -- it might've taken several weather balloons to lift a full-grown man. I wouldn't call it cartoony, just the normal level of exaggeration for action TV.

What I had a harder time believing was that the balloons would stay above Gotham until the burst. The winds at high altitude would probably carry them hundreds of miles away before they burst.

Balloons aside, I actually found this a lot less campy than last week's, because this time the acting was more dialed back and the dialogue less simplistic and blatant (although there's still way too much "Boy, this corrupt city sure is corrupt, isn't it?" dialogue). It was also the first time Alfred has been at all likeable.

And in that last scene with Bruce, with the reporter asking who would protect Gotham now, I was really relieved that a bat didn't choose that moment to fly through the window. That would've just been too much.

I just noticed that Barbara's apartment includes a large clock window. I wonder if that's an homage to Oracle's clock tower from Birds of Prey.

And I liked it that Barbara trusted Jim and knew he was innocent. Trust is so rare in a show like this. We learned a good deal more about Barbara and Renee too. Montoya is pretty true to her comics version, and I like that. I just hope it isn't much longer before she comes around and realizes Jim's on the side of the angels. I'd rather see her as an ally than an antagonist. Gordon needs more people on his side, and Bullock has a looooonnnnnggggg way to go to get there.

14. Trekker4747

Or a few dozen, remember one of the earliest episodes of Mythbusters?

;)

15. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

they used regular party balloons which don't hold that much hence the sheer number of balloons needed.

from google is seems 1 litre of hellium is enough to lift 1.1Kgs so you'd need about 100 litres to lift the average person and you'd need a 22 foot balloon to do that.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good point. I thought of that vaguely, but I didn't think it through. That was just one guy in a lawn chair, wasn't it? And it took 16 balloons.

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

It's walking that fine line between being itself and beholden to the pending universe. Be interesting to see the Penguin-Gordon dynamic take off... enough other character tidbits and moot setting occurred to keep my interest. I'm a bit surprised.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now we know why the Batwing has that balloon capture device in the 89 movie.

19. Alidar Jarok

He also killed a guy for his food earlier. And he was probably going to kill someone for a sandwich but managed to kill one of Fish's henchmen instead, which gave him some pocket change.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That was a cruel trick. I got all excited thinking they were doing Professor Pyg :sobs: