Goodbye, Det. Munch

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Det. Munch was my favorite charecter on SVU, and way underused. Apparently the charecter is leaving to take a job as "special investigator for the attorney generals office" leaving future guest appearances open.

I'd love to see him get a spin off show out of this where he is the lead. Oh, and a guest appearance on Castle would be great. :lol:

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that I've watched the show in a few years (Mariska's increasingly magnificent tits and ass just isn't enough to get me to suffer through the absurd plots and poor writing), but now there's that much less reason to watch this show. Munch rocked!

3. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great character, great comedian, been a fan of Belzer since his standup days.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think Benson was in "love" with Stabler. They had great chemistry together, yes, but only on the force. She may have had a crush on him but she was also friends with Stabler's wife so there's no way Benson would have been a homewrecker.

Benson and Cassidy really is a good idea, though. I do believe that the only way she can find love is with another cop. And Cassidy is different enough from her to make it work.

5. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what I thought, too! Sorry to see Munch go, but he's earned his retirement. Now he can dream up conspiracy theories as much as he wants. :p

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One minor thing that annoys me with all the L&O shows is that they seem oblivious to the fact that police officers typically retire long before the ages the characters reach on the show.

Granted, there are a lot of unrealistic things on L&O shows. However, just once I'd like to see one of the departing old-timers just, you know, actually retire instead of either killing them off or giving them another job.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

They hooked up in season 1 of SVU (last year I watched seasons 1-12 on Netflix. It took forever). She was just looking for a fling, he thought it was serious. Benson's never been good with relationships. Bringing Winters back after 12 seasons though was a stroke of genius.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That quote from her abductor in the fist episode of the season about how she would eventually call out 'his' name when he was attacking her and then her heartfelt speech to that bad cop in the most recent episode beg to differ.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

That could be because she views Stabler as the type of cop who could come to her rescue. She doesn't "love" him so much as she views him as almost like a personal saviour.

10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad I wasn't drinking something right there. ;)

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Fuck, I saw the thread title and thought Belzer had died!

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And as I said, she probably did have a crush on him. If Stabler had not been married, who knows what could have happened? But Liv is not a homewrecker and she knows enough to stay away from married guys. Notice how she didn't go after Stabler even when he and his wife were separated?

13. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

They didn't devote much of the episode to Munch, but what else is new? At least they left it open for him to make a guest appearance if Richard Belzer wants to. It was nice to see Munch's old Homicide comrade Detective Meldrick Lewis (Clark Johnson) at his send off. I didn't like that they only credited him as 'party guest' instead of Meldrick Lewis.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't watch the episode, but the "party guest" was probably so they didn't need to pay the writers of Homicide for using their character.

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, probably.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I was disappointed that so little of the episode dealt with Munch's retirement.

17. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was happy that it didn't fall into the cliche's of him being killed off, or captured, or any one of the million ways that Law & Order has written out characters.

It was quiet, it was subtle, and it fit his character.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I have no problem with how the character left the show, just the fact that it only took 2 minutes of screen time.

19. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on what they did with Andre Braugher, maybe it wasn't Lewis at all, just someone who looks and sounds just like him.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sending him to the DA's office was a good move so we can see him a few times a season. I thought it was a really good episode over all.