Godzilla, Kong, Gamera & Co.: The Kaiju Mega-Thread

TV spot (same as the teaser above) on the official channel:

Now, if you look closely at about 3.00 seconds, this movie appears to have taken a bit of inspiration from Shin Godzilla, as Godzilla's tail seems to open up and extend one of his fins, projecting the famous blue light of his atomic breath. I've made a gif of the moment, slowed down so you can fully see it:
3H5sxee.gif

^ That shot made me scratch my head. I thought they were going to have another variation of Shin Godzilla's 2nd Form(when it looked like an eel)

That grin on Godzilla's face is legit nightmare fuel. A mix of pure rage and sneering sadism... this ain't him just doing his usual shtick, this is personal.

Toho has released the teaser trailer for their next 50th anniversary live action short

Operation: Jet Jaguar!

Toho: “…oh, right! We have this guy that was our answer to the toku superheroes that our competition are really into! Man, why did we forget about this guy the whole time…???

Toho: “…oh, right! We have this guy that was our answer to the toku superheroes that our competition are really into! Man, why did we forget about this guy the whole time…???

Jet Jaguar played a major role in Godzilla: Singular Point two years ago, so it's not as if they only just noticed him.

Yes, Jet Jaguar was the highlight of that series, in my opinion. I'm happy that they're again doing two shorts for Godzilla Day, one with CGI (G vs Megalon) and the other with suitmation.

On a related note, I found out today that Minus One will have a November 29 showing in my area, ahead of the official December 1 opening. (Just one showing that night.) My sister, nephew, and I will be there.

New trailer

An earlier clip showed a singular "spine" extruding a bit near the tip of Goji's tail, leading fans to wonder what was happening. This trailer shows a nearly full sequence. Each "plate extrudes in a sequential pattern, riding up the tail, then his back until they reach his skull, each glowing an ever brighter blue-white as they protrude. Basically, Toho has "one upped" the gimmick Legendary Pictures introduced with the 2014 film. To clarify, the plates are already there; they just protrude taller as he's about to vomit his atomic breath.

I LOVE IT!

An earlier clip showed a singular "spine" extruding a bit near the tip of Goji's tail, leading fans to wonder what was happening. This trailer shows a nearly full sequence. Each "plate extrudes in a sequential pattern, riding up the tail, then his back until they reach his skull, each glowing an ever brighter blue-white as they protrude. Basically, Toho has "one upped" the gimmick Legendary Pictures introduced with the 2014 film. To clarify, the plates are already there; they just protrude taller as he's about to vomit his atomic breath.

At the end there, it looked to me like they all plunge down again at the moment he fires, as if they're squeezing the energy out of him.

It looks kind of silly to me, like something designed for a toy. It just seems overcomplicated.

The new short was fun. Perhaps the first time that Megalon seemed menacing. I hope we get a subbed version soon.

Am I missing something? Is it unofficial "Godzilla Day"? Here's a new look "Monarch: Legacy of the Monsters"

I hadn't realized until watching this clip that it was going to be set between two different time periods and pretty cool that Kurt Russell's own son Wyatt is playing the younger version of his Father in the 'past' time period.

Since 2024 is the 70th anniversary for Godzilla, 60th for King Ghidorah, and 50th for Mechagodzilla and King Caesar, perhaps they'll use all of them in next year's shorts. Too bad Toho will probably never make another full length movie using suitmation. I love that stuff. But at least we have these mini-movies to look forward to.

Back