Giving the Blu-rays a watch

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by David Brown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. David Brown

David Brown Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just procured all 4 seasons of Enterprise on Blu-ray. I plan to watch them after Star Trek: Picard finishes and I'll be off CBS All Access for a while.

I did watch the first episode, Broken Bow, the other night. I saw about the first season and a half or two seasons when they first premiered. I saw the mirror universe episodes near the end and the finale. But, I really haven't revisited Enterprise.

The reviews I read online for the blu-rays are accurate, it appeared good but not exceptional on Blu-ray, not like the original series anyway.

I'd forgotten how much I liked this series. Enterprise seemed to have a spirit of adventure and danger which was lacking in TNG, DS9 and Voyager. I also like the submarine-like aesthetic to the ship. The controls are tactile and real rather than the TNG era touch screens which we use in real life today.
    Very much looking forward to this re-watch. Live long and prosper.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It doesn't have that same vivid color palette, and many of the effects were rendered in 480p in order to get the shows on the air in time.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think the live-action scenes look okay but it's easy to tell the effects shots are upscaled. Did that improve in the final season? I can't remember in detail. I think they still used stock footage of the ship that had been rendered in 480p.

Kor

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think they eventually got to 1080p. But for the fourth season, they used some kind of digital tape that limited the resolution to 1080p, so any 4K release would have to be upscaled.

5. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

I’m sure ENT will be rescanned where possible and VFX regenerated by… 2054 or so.