Ghostly Encounters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Aug 5, 2012.

1. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, here's my own encounters.

2010: I was at a barn, and by one of the file cabinets, I saw this figure of a man leaning against the cabinet, elbow propped on the top of it, for just a millisecond, and he was gone. I described this to everyone there a few minutes later, and I described the appearence of the father of someone I know who works at this barn. I described perfectly his build, his clothes, even his sloppily kept hair, and I never saw him, yet I was able to describe his appearence and it matched the guy.

Last year, I was at a rummage sale at the school I went to in grade school during the 80's, and I saw the figure of a woman, in her 20's, sitting in one of the tables...she was actually sitting in the middle of the table, the table top itself going right through her waist, she appeared to try and get my attention and then vanished a moment later. I started talking to the people at the sale, seeing what this could have been, and a few walked to me and said that a girl who went to this school in the early 80's was killed in a car crash in 1992, when she was in her 20's and I began descring her in detail, and it made more sense since her hair and clothes did look like she came from that time period. I than found the mother of this chick at the sale and we went to the where they kept the old year books and I went through them and found the picture of the chick I saw, and I pointed, and low and behold ,there she was on the page, and it was the same person who died in '92.

And I saw neither of those two people ever in my life when both were alive.

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Long Island Medium. That's the name of the show. I've watched it a few times just to poke fun at it.

One time, the lady said that she doesn't do these readings for profit. As if that wasn't enough of a lie already since she gets paid for the show, on the show she accepted to go on an all expenses paid cruise with her family to be a psychic on the boat. That's pretty much doing it for a profit.

On top of the cold reading stuff that is typical, reality shows are seldom but. Most of those shows are scripted out, carefully directed, or meticulously edited. They aren't showing the parts where she screws up and they aren't making it a point to paint her in such a way that she is the fraud that she is. For the producers of the show to do that is suicide. All of those shows, even if those involved know it's bullshit, have to present it as if it's not to get the ratings. Simply put, a show about a hit and miss psychic isn't going to get them the Nielsen's.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I've wanted to see Bullshit! for ages, but haven't had a chance yet. That was a great interview. I have no problem with people offering fortune-telling as a form of entertainment: again, so long as they're honest about their dishonesty. But the cold-readers (those who know what they're doing, not the poor, self-deluded people who actually believe they have psychic powers), are just scum. Total scum.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The greatest expressions of psychic powers as far as I'm concerned:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWX7HaX-w8g[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUQkbXWwJhQ[/yt]

6. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

i find Uri Geller to be a fraud.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^good to know. We weren't sure.

8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, thank you, Captain Obvious.

@EmoBorg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm sure many of the people around Geller knew he was a fraud forty years ago but didn't want to upset the gravy train. Say what you want about the old poop that is The Amazing Kreskin, but he'll more or less tell you up front that what he does is illusion and a load of bunk. Geller played on the minds of millions for years, including Michael Jackson, who apparently fell for his stunts and became good friends with the guy.