Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It was a really good movie. I'd recommend it.

Well, that's the smart thing to do - don't risk hundreds of millions trying to satisfy a demand for more live-action product that's as undemonstrated as the bankability of, oh, oldBSG or B5 or DS9. Go cheap and rake in the bucks from a limited but loyal fandom.

2. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just read that the studio has all but conceded that this movie will lose millions of dollars and, thus, a sequel is unlikely. Why the studio would spend $300 million on such a risky venture with so much baggage boggles the mind.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sony is desperate for a franchise. Ghostbusters was a decent shot, but it didn't pan out.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Really...it was a thirty year-old movie that never managed a decent sequel. But then, they've tried reviving every old thing at this point including shows that are relatively unknown to most modern audiences - The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, John Carter...

Oh, those didn't work either, did they. How much have they spent on Tarzan this time?

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

The Tarzan reboot was quite good.

Captain Craig likes this.
  6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a pity you feel the need to all-caps, bold, and put quotes around movie titles. Why can't you just italicize movie titles such as Ghostbusters like the reasonable writers of most entertainment sites? I weep for myself and fellow BBSers who you oppress with your seething aggression.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't forget The Green Hornet. There was a good movie in there somewhere till they cast Seth Rogan.
    Lone Ranger is a solid concept, until someone thought it a good idea to have the man who fires Silver Bullets be anti-gun?? John Carter was fun, I enjoyed that one. Didn't get to Man from UNCLE sadly.

I agree, Tarzan was a pretty decent film. The published publicly stated production amount on Tarzan is $180m with a domestic take of $124m thus far w/$335m WW

8. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ghostbusters came with a lot of baggage in the 1st place. General consensus was that it wasn't "that" good of a movie. Ghostbusters put itself in a position where it needed to hit a home run but "only" hit a double.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But.. but... Sony assured and set in stone the notion that they were making a sequel. I don't understand. :confused:

The studio spent $140m on a summer comedy which is obscene. If they had spent a more reasonable amount for a comedy movie, even an action comedy, they'd be sitting pretty good. But they made a movie they needed to make nearly $400m on to break even, for a comedy that's a tall, tall order.

The movie was decent. I got some chuckles but, in the end, decent. It was saddled with too much baggage, too much referencing of the older movies, and too much dumb humor pushed beyond the point of funny. The movie is a flop, I'm glad Sony finally owned up to that. They're desperate for a franchise, yes, but they don't seem to understand how to make one.

A pretty good break-down of the movie and the fandom/"controversy" around it.

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sony might own up to the film being a flop, but I'm betting Feig will blame phantom misogynists until the end of time (as if such a group controls the minds of all potential moviegoers). It was misguided from the start, like so many reboots.

ichab likes this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't think the film was misguided. It had its heart in the right place and featured four terrific Ghostbusting ladies. The problem was the execution and poor humor.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh, Sony likely knew for a long time that the movie stood little chance of pulling a profit, they had to know given the money spent on production and how comedies do in theaters and especially how American comedies do overseas So they likely created the misogyny angle as something they can point to base the movie's failure on.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

There have been a bunch of (much worse) summer comedies that cost much much more.

14. Timby

Hey, everyone, remember when I said this last month?

Final warning.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

All of those you mentioned, plus Terminator (Genysis), Judge Dredd, Robocop, Fright Night and Total Recall.

So far, the only remakes/reboots that have been successful are Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, 21 Jump Street and Mission Impossible. Hollywood will squeeze every drop they can from these old intellectual properties.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  16. Timby

Uh ... Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek '09, Ocean's Eleven, The Fly, The Thing, fucking Ben Hur, Heat, Cape Fear, Dawn of the Dead, Insomnia, True Grit, Batman Begins ... I'm going to give myself carpal tunnel if I decide to get really exhaustive.

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

XD
    I tip my hat sir. I knew I was forgetting several of the more recent ones.

18. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Suicide Squad is a hit mostly on the popularity of its female leads....its not a Female cast that caused GhostBusters to flop it was just a lot of fans found it to be a bad movie.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you mean the Wyler Ben Hur remake of the '25 Niblo version, or any other older remake, I believe most here are talking about studios' more modern obsession with remaking/rebooting films.. On that note, other failed remakes/reboots: Poseidon (2006), Psycho (1998), Land of the Lost (2009), Thunderbirds (2004), and it goes on and on, with Ghostbusters (2016) joining that list.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There are good and bad remakes, there are successful remakes and failed ones. The lists go on and on in both directions.

Shaka Zulu likes this.