Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    Considering this is Dan Akroyd, I'd take the testimony with a grain of salt. But I'm still hopeful for the movie.

SPCTRE likes this.
  2. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Excessive hate comes from people who engage with excessive hate with anything that comes before their gaze. Youtube comment columns, for one, are choked with people trollin'. They aren't just going to stop a permanent habit and hold fire as a courtesy to one particular film. You gotta screen that out to gain an appreciation of the real reaction to a given film. Excessive hate though is a permanent part of the online landscape.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A whole shakerful if you ask me! Not to say you shouldn't take it for what it is and be hopeful.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Isn't he an executive producer on the new movie? What, is he supposed to come out and say, "It's shit?" Aykroyd over the last few years has also been a bit... nuts. So, it's hard to completely to go with what he's saying here; further it's very unusual for anyone on the industry to see a movie and to come-out and blast it unless that person is a celebrity with a history of being overly critical or has to clout to be critical and get away with it.

This is like Trump's children coming out and saying he'd make a great President. It means nothing because *of course* they'd say something like that. They have a biased opinion. What's more, great it made him laugh and feel scares (which I sort of doubt, the original movie's entire look and tone is eerie with a good scares in it (Dana's abduction for one) and the tone and look of this movie from the trailers doesn't seem to suggest it's going to have anything close to that tone.

But scares and humor are subjective, and from the trailers, the humor doesn't work for me. It's broad and obvious not to mention very, very, cliched. ("That's going to leave a mark!", two people say the same thing, stepping on one another's lines.)

So, my feelings on the movie isn't changed by Aykroyd's views on it.

5. B.J.

As I said, a grain of salt.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of hate, anyone read the news about that woman whose kid fell into a gorilla enclosure? Same kind of shit. A group of people who think they are on the right side harass the mother because the Gorilla was shot. Read some of the comments online and a lot of the comments are from non-parents.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

In my eyes, the greatest mother in the world could lose a kid in a busy theme park-esque environment. Kids are no dumbies and are too clever at sussing out the blindspots of adults. So, respect to the mother and child, it's cool that the child is safe and sound.

Shaka Zulu and OtherGene like this.
  9. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree, I can't believe people are suggesting shooting the gorilla was the wrong thing to do. It's a very sad situation but if one of my children ended up in the same position I would want the gorilla shot between the eyes without hesitation.

Anyway, I've no doubt this has been covered but I'd just like to repeat that my only problem with this new Ghostbusters movie, if I've read correctly, is that it has no connection with the originals despite what was suggested in the trailer.

Forget the gender of the 'Busters, in my opinion, that there is a big mistake and I can't believe there was no way in the script to connect the two eras together.

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

You understand what the term "reboot" means, correct?

There's nothing wrong with rebooting the franchise, but BECAUSE it's a reboot, the originals shouldn't have been mentioned, regardless of audience response.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, oh patronising person. I think I understand the term "reboot". There was a reboot released in 2009 that managed to connect that new film with the original movie series and even featured an actor from said series playing the same character.

Do you know what that film was called?

Do you remember the movie "Star Trek"?

12. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Actually Star Trek 2009 was different in that an alternate reality was created which is different than the traditional reboot.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  13. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I was at the cinema today watching TMNT2 and there were some school children about 10 or 12 years old in the cinema too. They seemed to enjoy the Ghostbusters trailer when it came on and laughed out loud a few times. And it was only the very first trailer which is probably the weakest of them all. We may not like it but a new generation might.

Shaka Zulu and Amaris like this.
  14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That's what gets me. I understand there are people who will not like the film, and that's okay, it's all about personal taste anyway. There are movies friends love that I just don't get, and that's fine, too. These movies might appeal to the next generation, because they will be building their own memories, and for a small sect of the population to demand that the next generation love their generational milestones is silly.

I love the Ghostbusters films, but I believe I will like the new film as well. I can accept that my movies are my favorite, while still accepting that new movies will become someone else's favorite. My movies don't disappear just because a new reboot comes out, so the odd levels of rage just makes it all seem surreal, and definitely pointless. It makes me wonder where people's priorities lie. I think we've become, as a culture, too easy to outrage.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

James Cameron said he liked Terminator 3 before it came out and then took it back after the release. Did the same thing for Terminator: Genisys. Don't know if he's since retracted again.

16. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I agree. I like A Night To Remember and I like Titanic. I don't think the latter should have been made because the former existed. They both have the same story at their heart but did different spins on it. And I am pretty sure within my lifetime there will be another Titanic film.

Amaris likes this.
  17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I remember the first time I watched the original Titanic. I thought someone had gone and changed the title of A Night To Remember in order to cash in on the (at the time, this was 1997) Titanic mania. It would be a while before I realized they were two separate movies. Of course, I'm still a bigger fan of ANTR, but they're both charming in their own rights.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I want to tattoo that on my forehead.

Shaka Zulu and Amaris like this.
  19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Legally, Sony was prohibited from doing a true Ghostbusters 3.

Shaka Zulu and OtherGene like this.
  20. B.J.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard that. Can you give me some more details on this?