Getting a good graphics card

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

After what feels like its planned obsolescence date of three and a half years, my laptop has stopped working and a computer repair guy has tentatively diagnosed the problem as being the graphics card (specifically that the card has a tendency to overheat). Given that it's cheaper to get a new laptop than replace the graphics card, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

The problem is I never really understand graphics cards. I'm not looking for a top of the line system and I certainly can't afford that, but there are some games i like to play. Generally I try to pick a game I would like it to be able to play and figure out a card that's at least that good. I figured Rome 2 Total War would be a good example this time. ( Recommended Specs).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good graphics card? Particularly one that doesn't have heat problems?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

Re: Getting a good grsphics card

Are you buying a laptop? That would sort of limit you to what graphics cards the laptop manufacturer is using.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that's true. I guess what I'm asking for is what I should be looking for when I go laptop hunting and what's a good card and what's not.

Btw, can a mod fix the typo in the title? Clearly I'm not used to typing with my phone.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Gaming on a laptop is always going to be comparably limited. Your best bet is to look at this chart: and try to get something as high on it as possible.

What is great though, is the integrated graphics are actually pretty decent these days. You can even play a lot of games from a year or two ago on an x86 tablet with integrated graphics. Still, check out the chart if you can afford to do better than intel 4500 graphics.