Generations had a bigger budget than ST6, so why...

They should have dumped the boat scene at the beginning, just have them celebrating Worf's promotion in Ten Forward and given the Duras sisters a contemporary Klingon battlecruiser.

And tie it in as one of many events leading to "The Way of the Warrior". True, intra-franchise continuity does start to creep in and now having to hopscotch between tv shows and movies and a few novels plus those really esoteric comics does start to get a tad ridiculous, especially when the TOS flicks held their own surprisingly well but before I digress, but TNG starting the issue for it to meet its zenith in DS9 would make far more sense than the other way around (case in point, the misuse of Defiant in STFC, the ship designed to fight the Borg barely stood a chance, among other problems... )

I'm sure alot of it has been mentioned already, but the film had I believe a $30 million budget... with at least a third of that being eaten up by the cast. The film did not have a bit in the way of CGI, which we may forget today but that was EXPENSIVE at the time the movie was shot.

I'm sure somebody brought up the uniforms they made and didn't use, which ate up a chunk of the budget.

By and large though, story issues aside, the film looks great. There is some real magic there in having reused television sets built in the 80's in a modern motion picture and making them actually look pretty good. Yeah, it took some weird lighting and what not to make it work but I think it actually helps the visual style of the film. The scene in 10 Forward with the Armagosa stars light bathing the room is absolutely beautiful, and the darker lighting on the bridge I find appealing.

So they reused a special effects shot that most people wouldn't notice, something that was also a fairly expensive thing to accomplish at the time. They probably couldn't do that in CG, so they would have had to build a new, feature film quality BoP model just to blow it up. They had a perfectly good BoP blowing up already.

EDIT -

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I did think Generations had a distinct visual style that very much did look like they transitioned a TV show to the Big Screen. That's what it was, and that's what it looked like. I appreciate that. While the Enterprise-E and all the redesign for First Contact looks great... I kind of wish the E-D didn't go down and we got to see more big screen adventures with it.

So they reused a special effects shot that most people wouldn't notice, something that was also a fairly expensive thing to accomplish at the time. They probably couldn't do that in CG, so they would have had to build a new, feature film quality BoP model just to blow it up. They had a perfectly good BoP blowing up already.

Except that it was noticed. By a lot of people. And the reasons were stated more than once in the thread.

I know why they did it, but it still sucked the triumph out of the moment.

Except that it was noticed. By a lot of people. And the reasons were stated more than once in the thread.

I know why they did it, but it still sucked the triumph out of the moment.

I did say most people.

Most people who saw Star Trek Generations are not posting on Star Trek forums, and even if they DID connect that it was the same shot, by and large didn't care. Hell, *I* did see Generation, *AM* posting on a Star Trek forum and... don't care. The shot was functional. It did what it needed to do.

I did say most people.

Most people who saw Star Trek Generations are not posting on Star Trek forums, and even if they DID connect that it was the same shot, by and large didn't care. Hell, *I* did see Generation, *AM* posting on a Star Trek forum and... don't care. The shot was functional. It did what it needed to do.

What's your source for your claim that most people who saw the movie didn't realize that the BoP explosion was a reuse?

What's your source for your claim that most people who saw the movie didn't realize that the BoP explosion was a reuse?

It's anecdotal.

Much the same as making a claim that a significant amount of people either even noticed it all, or noticed it and cared.

It's also like... not really that big of a deal. If you immediately recognized and it care about it, that's ok! IDIC

ST2 reused a lot of footage from ST1 and looked great
STGen reused a few seconds of ST6 and it sucked

The difference: 1) there was already home video in 1994 for some time, people had rewatched 6 in VHS. Not in 1979 to 1982

and 2) The Bird of Prey explosion was the CLIMAX of both movies. Imagine if Kruge had used a Reliant-type ship in 3, and the CLIMACTIC explosion was recycled

EDIT the Genesis effect too was great and everybody was happy to see it again in 3 and 4 (I dont remember it in 5,6 and on)

I will say that one thing that bugged me about seeing the Genesis demo tape again in TSFS and TVH was the way Carol was replaced with Admiral Kirk. I know it's the realities of filmmaking, but I disliked seeing her swept under the rug that way even if they did a reasonable job of recontextualizing it so that it was Kirk reporting on what had happened in TWOK.

I was shocked when I read an earlier draft of the script from before they cut it down (it actually had the whole TOS crew in it, though only Spock and Bones got more than a line or two) and saw that "Keep things together until I get back"/"I always do" was written for Kirk and Spock. It doesn't even make sense that way. Kirk and Spock always went down to the planet together, Scotty is the one who had to stay on the ship and make sure it didn't fall out of orbit or whatever long enough for the big three to solve the episode.

I love Generations. And this criticism about how the lines for Scotty and Chekov were so obviously written for Spock and McCoy has always left me cold. Scotty's lines are pure Scotty, not Spock. And Chekov has the "I was never that young" line and quite appropriately, as a close friend of Sulu, introduces Demora to Kirk. I can't see Bones in either of those situations. I think the writers adapted or revised the dialogue perfectly for Scotty and very well for Chekov.

The difference: 1) there was already home video in 1994 for some time, people had rewatched 6 in VHS. Not in 1979 to 1982

and 2) The Bird of Prey explosion was the CLIMAX of both movies. Imagine if Kruge had used a Reliant-type ship in 3, and the CLIMACTIC explosion was recycled

EDIT the Genesis effect too was great and everybody was happy to see it again in 3 and 4 (I dont remember it in 5,6 and on)
When I saw TWOK and Generations in the theater, I didn't realize there were reused shots. This was after watching TMP and STIII many times (TMP only at home; STIII in theater and at home).

It wasn't until I read it here that I knew.

Yes, that sums it up nicely. I forgive the reuse of the shots of the Enterprise leaving Spacedock in TWOK because A) It's early in the movie, and B) That's something that would likely look more or less the same each time out. A Bird of Prey blowing up at the climax? Not so much.
I love Generations. And this criticism about how the lines for Scotty and Chekov were so obviously written for Spock and McCoy has always left me cold. Scotty's lines are pure Scotty, not Spock.
For me, this exchange is pure Spock & Kirk, not Scotty & Kirk:
SCOTT: But I do have a theory.
KIRK: I thought you might.
I also think this line would've played much better with Nimoy's dry delivery:
SCOTT: (to Kirk) Captain, is there something wrong with your chair?
With Scotty, he's obviously being sarcastic, so it's not quite as funny.

And this line is WAY too formal for Scotty but would be perfectly in character for Spock:
SCOTT: Captain, it may be possible to simulate a torpedo blast using a resonance burst from the main deflector dish.
Scotty always had a much more informal way of expressing himself, especially in crisis situations. Here are some examples off the top of my head. From TWOK:
KIRK: Scotty, can we make it inside?
SCOTT: The energizer's bypassed like a Christmas tree, ...so don't give me too many bumps.
KIRK: No promises. On your way.
From "The Devil in the Dark":
KIRK: How's it going, Scotty?
SCOTT: Well sir, it's a plumber's nightmare, but it'll hold for a bit.
KIRK: It has to hold longer than a bit.
SCOTT: Sorry, sir. That's about the best I can do, but I guarantee it's not good enough.
(A communicator beeps)
KIRK: Kirk here.
SCOTT [OC]: Scotty here, Captain. My brilliant improvisation Just gave up the ghost. It couldn't stand the strain.
KIRK: Can you fix it again?
SCOTT: Negative, Captain. It's gone for good.
From "The Naked Time":
SCOTT: Captain.
KIRK: What is it?
SCOTT: He's turned the engines off. Completely cold. It will take thirty minutes to regenerate them.
UHURA [OC]: Ship's outer skin is beginning to heat, Captain. Orbit plot shows we have about eight minutes left.
KIRK: Scotty!
SCOTT: I can't change the laws of physics. I've got to have thirty minutes.
And from "The Galileo Seven":
MEARS: Did you find them?
SPOCK: Yes, we found them. They won't bother us again.
MCCOY: I hope not. Scotty has an idea.
SCOTT: It's dangerous, but it might work.
SPOCK: Go, Mister Scott.
SCOTT: I can adjust the main reactor to function with a substitute fuel supply.
SPOCK: That's all very well, but we don't have a substitute supply.
SCOTT: Aye, we do. Our phasers. I can adapt them and use their energy. It'll take time, but it's possible.
That was the beauty of Scotty. He never gave a speech with great swaths of technobabble the way Geordi did. He just stated what was going on in simple terms so that his Captain (and the audience) could get it. Suddenly hearing him talk about "resonance bursts" and "the main deflector dish" like he just swallowed a copy of the TNG Technical Manual just sounded wrong.
And Chekov has the "I was never that young" line and quite appropriately, as a close friend of Sulu, introduces Demora to Kirk. I can't see Bones in either of those situations.
I agree that Chekov's wistful "I was never that young" and Kirk's reply "No... You were younger" is a nice moment that wouldn't work as well with any other character, since Chekov was the youngest member of Kirk's crew.
I think the writers adapted or revised the dialogue perfectly for Scotty and very well for Chekov.
This is another instance of what was obviously a McCoy bit just transferred over to Chekov with only (mutters in Russian) added to adjust it to his character:
CHEKOV: How big is your medical staff?
HARRIMAN: The medical staff ...doesn't arrive 'til Tuesday.
CHEKOV: (mutters in Russian) (to journalists) You and you and you. You've just become nurses. Let's go.
So yeah, I wish they'd rewritten the dialogue in GEN to fit Scotty & Chekov a bit more. It was pretty obvious they didn't do much more than replace the character names.

Good book. West End Horror is good too. Those are the only two that I ever read.

If you get him talking about Sherlock Holmes he sounds like a FAN. ;)

I've read all of his Holmes novels, and enjoyed them all to varying degrees. The most recent one was just a few years ago.

Back