Generations had a bigger budget than ST6, so why...

While GENERATIONS was not the best TNG film, I would argue having Picard deal with him being the last of his family was a good character move and needed for him. It dealt with not only mortality in general, but the choices he made in his life that got him to be without his own family so late in his life. That's a hard thing to face.

At the very least, you never went wrong giving Patrick Stewart scenes. And it gave us some good dialogue.

"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish each moment... because they'll never come again."

"What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

At the very least, you never went wrong giving Patrick Stewart scenes. And it gave us some good dialogue.

"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish each moment... because they'll never come again."
The dialogue certainly sounds good coming from Patrick Stewart, but when you take a look at it's actual meaning, it's pretty hollow. Time is a companion who reminds us to cherish each moment because they'll never come again... Thank you Time. Shall I thank the thief who stole my wallet for reminding me that I don't like having my wallet stolen?

Picard's family burned to death, some of his crew were killed in the crash, his ship is destroyed, his fish are dead, a solar system was destroyed and he couldn't save a legendary Captain from getting murdered. Why change any of it when you've got a companion like Time telling you to cherish those moments?

Keep in mind that most "TV Show: The Movie" films (with the same cast and crew and all) typically get released while the TV series is still running, because that's of course when they're at their most relevant (when was the last time this happened, anyway? Last one I can think of is The Simpsons Movie).

Bob's Burgers.

There was a unfilmed scene towards the end of Generations where the Duras sisters survived the BoP battle and were on the planet with the crashed saucer. Data was sent over to to negotiate and the the sisters had heard about Data being "fully functional". Data returns after several hours, kinda disheveled with a torn up uniform, and says something about having initiated relations with the Klingons. Then his arm falls off...

There was a unfilmed scene towards the end of Generations where the Duras sisters survived the BoP battle and were on the planet with the crashed saucer. Data was sent over to to negotiate and the the sisters had heard about Data being "fully functional". Data returns after several hours, kinda disheveled with a torn up uniform, and says something about having initiated relations with the Klingons. Then his arm falls off...
:cardie::cardie::censored::censored::censored::cardie::cardie:
Source?

I really liked Generations and still do to this day. Rewatched it today actually and the Enterprise D crashing still gives me Goosebumps. It was so well done...

That draft of the script was online, it got linked to in GTD a while ago, but the site is down now. I'm pretty sure I saved it, let me see if I can find it somewhere else by the filename... and, I can't. I can't upload it as an attachment, because it's over the 1MB file limit.... Well, take my word for it, the description of the deleted sequence where the marooned survivors from the Enterprise and the Bird of Prey resolve their differences with a one-android, multi-Klingon orgy is entirely accurate.

That draft of the script was online, it got linked to in GTD a while ago, but the site is down now. I'm pretty sure I saved it, let me see if I can find it somewhere else by the filename... and, I can't. I can't upload it as an attachment, because it's over the 1MB file limit.... Well, take my word for it, the description of the deleted sequence where the marooned survivors from the Enterprise and the Bird of Prey resolve their differences with a one-android, multi-Klingon orgy is entirely accurate.

What a Roddenberrian resolution!

While GENERATIONS was not the best TNG film, I would argue having Picard deal with him being the last of his family was a good character move and needed for him. It dealt with not only mortality in general, but the choices he made in his life that got him to be without his own family so late in his life. That's a hard thing to face.

"What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."
I didn't think it was appropriate for Picard's first appearance on the cinema screens; I wanted a confident, action oriented, top of his game character I loved on TNG. Must've been strange to see for a general audience who knew little to none of this great character to have him mope and cry for his quarter of the movie. Maybe bring that element in the sequel where he's lost so many men and women from the aftermath of Wolf 359 and goes for an eternal path for redemption, but as for the 1st movie it was not how you write for a character as powerful as Capt. Picard,

The re-use of this shot doesn’t bother me. Visually “ST:Generations” looks great overall, despite a rather modest budget. They had to control costs somewhere. Unless you watched ST:VI and “ST:Generations” back to back I don’t think the re-use really stands out.

The re-use of this shot doesn’t bother me. Visually “ST:Generations” looks great overall, despite a rather modest budget. They had to control costs somewhere. Unless you watched ST:VI and “ST:Generations” back to back I don’t think the re-use really stands out.
I dunno, sitting in the theater, it annoyed me and I didn't do a rewatch before I saw it.

If we're talking about the re-use of the BOP shot, it jumped out like a sore thumb to me.

Yep and for reasons I'd mentioned in other threads: it wasn't just another ship model blowing up like the dime a dozen TIE fighters going poof in Star Wars. It was the climax of the space battle finale and part of the demise of the primary villain. It wasn't a single explosion or a clip of something blowing up composited on a model. It was a systematic, staged three tier detonation after a half dozen photon torpedoes pummeled it. It was incredibly satisfying and cathartic. The audience freaking cheered when it happened.

So reusing it wasn't just another example of Star Trek Movie Stock Footage for a flyby. And for a movie that took pains to look expensive, using that just felt cheap. It was such a unique and memorable shot, it was bound to stand out. It sure sucked the wind out of that moment for me.

When I first saw Generations I hadn't watched TUC in 5 or six years. Stood right out.

Even if they were forced to reuse the BoP explosion, they should have added/superimposed a couple of additional bursts over the original footage to obscure things a bit. Still saving money by not building a new pyrotechnic model and avoids a frame by frame repeat

I'm not convinced that that would have made it distinctive enough, but it's hard to say without seeing it. The problem is that the BOP explosion is a 'hero ship' explosion. It's one of the main beats of TUC along with the Praxis explosion or the destruction of the Enterprise in TSFS or the Death Star explosions in the Star Wars films. You can't just take it and pop it into another film without a significant amount of the audience knowing what you did. Now, if in GEN it had been an incidental moment, they might have been able to get away with it, but what they did was akin to the stock footage reuse in WYLB, where people were specifically hoping for something new and exciting and instead they got something they'd seen (in this case one movie) earlier.

Back