General Trek Questions and Observations

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Old Mixer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Charles Markov

Charles Markov Lieutenant Red Shirt

So just a quick question. Say I have a thing I wrote that I wanted to make an announcement and explain. Would this be a good place for it? Because I have a series I have been working on and am getting to a stage where I want to post it (I am not posting the thing on this thread but one specifically for it) but wanted to gauge everyone's interest in it before I did so.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If it's Trek related, it might be more at home in the Fan Fiction forum.

3. Charles Markov

Charles Markov Lieutenant Red Shirt

Likely as good a place as any. Thanks!

4. rossi

rossi Ensign Newbie

But why you feel so disappointed at Sir Patrick Stewart ?

5. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So is the prime timeline being destroyed with the return of Picard? Only as much as Kelvin's might, which means neither ultimately could be.

17:08 onward claims it all, summarizing what is opined at 18:09.

I think the jumble with the conditions to make the movies and shows, 25% difference, goofy costume designs, etc, is more trying to make something new within a near-impossible set of circumstances. Picard's situation might be good, and if nothing else there's no way that the new show could be worse than the season of TNG you dislike the most. (for which most people loathe 1, but season 1 still had more sense of adventure than the addled soap opera it became in its latter years. And to be fair, TNG 1 had no underlying or unifying theme. The Picard Show has a definitive theme - an aftermath and a possible way to pave for a new future.)

6. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

The Picard series needs to be a passing of the torch for the truck loads of Star Trek series being churned out for the rest of its existence by CBS. It has to be steered in a fashion to merge the goofy compromise JJ Abrams did in Star Trek. The reality is TOS sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the sh*t they're doing now, and there has to be some form of narrative to purge it; Disco has already started the process by redesigning the Enterprise and inputting some of the worst costume designs which does justice to their new show. At some point CBS has to look forward to the future of their property and the make overs are necessary to fit their manufactured way of making multiple TV series which are more of the same, JAG--NCIS etc, CSI--CSI NY, LA, MIA etc, CBS Star Trek has to cater to their level of audience members, and hopefully new audience members who don't care about TOS or TNG but something that is more in the vein of Star Wars.