Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yep, she just has alien contact lenses so she's more like the Saratoga helmsman from TVH.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if it makes you feel better thinking it's highly rated, sure go for it.

Personally, I don't care about the ratings. Fortunate, because Discovery's ratings are tiny compared to the shows in the real top 10.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How I feel about ratings in an entertainment endeavor:
    [​IMG]

4. Mr Awe

^ Love it!

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I am somewhat amused to see the ratings in the same territory as the much-hyped Picard S3. When that made the ratings, there was plenty of talk about how it showed it was what The Fans wanted. Now that it's Disco, of course, it doesn't matter.

PiotrB, JRob94, Firebird and 4 others like this.
  6. trekee1313

trekee1313 Ensign Red Shirt

Sipnosis in spanish/title ep 10.

Ep 10 Como la vida misma

La capitana Burnham debe luchar contra moll para proteger la tecnología de los Progenitores para la Federación.

Google traslator:

Ep 10 Like life itself

Captain Burnham must fight Minor to protect the Progenitors' technology for the Federation.

antinoos likes this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming there's a mistranslation going on there and Michael isn't actually going to fight a child?

Kraig and Quantum21 like this.
  8. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If anyone pointed this out before, my apologies.

Star Trek Discovery is now Star Trek's longest running show!

Yes, covid and a strike reduced what might have been a 6 or 7 season run to 5, and it's escalating price tag caused it to not be renewed, but it will run 7 years!

Star Trek the Next Generation:

09/28/87-05/23/94 - 2430 days

Star Trek Discovery:

09/24/17-05/30/24 - 2441 days

Amaze your friends at Trek trivia with this arcane knowledge.

Praetor, Cyrus, Lord Garth and 3 others like this.
  9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they recreate the final playground fight scene from Step Brothers, I will die.

10. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, kind of a laughable reaction.

250 million minutes viewed. That's nothing.

By the end of the season, I believe Discovery will rank on the list more times than Picard season 3 did in the Originals top 10.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  11. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably has dificulty recognizing the name "Moll" and changed it to "Minor"

Maybe it considered the American English slang definition of "moll" from the 1920's as a gangsters "girl" friend.

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JRob94 and Kraig like this.
  13. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ep 10 Como la vida misma

La capitana Burnham debe luchar contra moll para proteger la tecnología de los Progenitores para la Federación.

Google traslator:

Ep 10 Like life itself

Captain Burnham must fight Minor Moll to protect the Progenitors' technology for the Federation.

[/Spoiler

14. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Anytime one of the new Trek series does well in the ratings, it drives folks like Rob Meyer Burnett crazy and I just think that's neat.

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the wrong type of fans watching, according to the gatekeepers.

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm the odd-man out, apparently, who likes DSC and PIC, but I do think the Top 10 matters. Hopefully it encourages them to make a Disco TV Movie.

Praetor, antinoos, JRob94 and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr Awe

I don't generally concern myself with the ratings and don't consider them when thinking about how much I like a series.

But the ratings for PIC and DIS are interesting. I gather that PIC S3 were about 10% higher than the current DIS ratings, but I'll consider them approximately equal.

The interesting thing is that they're pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Usually near the bottom of the Originals category and never in the overall top 10. In fact, they're a long ways out of the overall top 10.

Now that's nothing to hold against either series in my mind. But, you can see it from an executive's point of view where these are expensive series to make and they won't light up the charts. They've got a guaranteed, but small, audience. Worth doing but they're won't go all out to make them. Particularly now with the financial problems.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm impressed. DSC only being 10% below PIC S3 is actually pretty good considering PIC S3 was a TNG Reunion.

JRob94 and fireproof78 like this.
  19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really I don't see how you can think this way.

Now what we know. Picard only was even able to track for episodes 3 -10. We know out of those weeks only 3 episodes made the top 10. 276 million minutes, 310 million minutes and 400 million minutes. Out of the 5 weeks in didn't track the threshold to make the top ten was 402, 409, 334, 337. and 279 million minutes viewed.

What we know of Discovery so far. Its tracked two weeks out of three with one of those weeks. With 256, 241 million minutes. The Threshold to make the top ten in all three weeks was between 228 and 274 million minutes viewed.

To put the numbers that Discovery tracked, and using the tenth place of the week it didn't. There isn't a single week so far (we still have 5 weeks and who knows where the ratings may climb, stay the same or decline during that time) that would have tracked during Picard season 3 (including the two weeks before Paramount started releasing data).

And if anyone remembers the ever so charming poster who used to post about Parrot analysis, and using Canada ratings to indicate US ratings (I honestly don't remember the posters name), you can find many of my posts refuting his statements because they weren't factually based. He would use Canadian numbers to judge how the show did everywhere (statistically speaking there is no value for that). He would use Parrot Analysis which tracked social media as a gauge of Success. Social Media doesn't equal viewers. I mean NCIS wouldn't have lasted 21 years, as it does exceedingly poor in social engagement but as a very large (by today's standards audience). And would use Paramount Plus listing of shows as an indicator. Thats has no real value because to have value you must have numbers that then can be directly compared to other numbers to get a value.

And of course, anyone who thinks quality equals ratings hasn't paid attention to the historical ratings records gong back since the early days of television. You can even see how I talk about this when I posted the first ever legitimated ratings for the 3 seasons of TOS.

Now one thing we are likely to get from Discovery is that based on the preliminary numbers for streaming (which don't include Paramount data) we are going to continue to have lower than normal thresholds to reach the top ten. Hopefully Discovery maintains ratings high enough to keep getting listed. I love ratings, so any additional information I can get (especially now days were so little is reported) is always something I greatly appreciate.

20. Mr Awe

Sure, I guess in the context of our little ST world, it's good. No disrespect to either show but it's interesting what small potatoes ST is in the larger context--on the overall ratings tab for streamers.

I think it also shows that while people bitch and moan about one or the other, it's really the same basic set of people watching all the shows. Yeah, it's not a completely overlapping set but probably mostly so.

I'd also bet the bean counters at Paramount aren't disappointed with Discovery's ratings.